The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Final Reflections on the Newcastle Everton Game

5:36 pm, Monday, October 8th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

nufc-crest.png

everton-fc_crest.png

This was a game we had to win and we did in the end, but we sure do make it hard for ourselves sometimes.

Newcastle could have easily lost points in this game. After being so much the better team in the first half we found ourselves level after 52 minutes and Everton were even threatening to gain the ascendancy. Credit to the lads for hanging in there and finally getting the win.

Here are some final reflections on the game in no particular order.

emre-scores.JPG

Hero Emre - what a substitute performance from the little Turk

• If you think of our wins against West Ham and Wigan – we cemented both those victories near the end. Less so for West Ham but we played the Londoners off the park the last 20 minutes. This augers really well for the future.
    We did the same in this game with 2 goals in the last 4 minutes. The spirit of the players is just first class and they just never gave up and therefore when things looked really gloomy, like after 65 minutes or so, they came back strong.
  • Credit has to go to the great Newcastle fans who you could hear roaring the side on, when Newcastle were struggling after about an hour. You could also see the players trying to up their game. If ever a crowd had an effect on the result of a game it was yesterday – well done the fans who were there – you were just great and made us all proud :D
  • We looked a lot more professional and organized in the first half, and if you forget the second half, it looked at half time like we would win it fairly easy 2-0 or something – but easily have a clean sheet. The fact that we didn’t put away our chances almost came back to bite us however in the second half. Everton, to their credit, came roaring back. Well done Nicky Butt for a great goal and Oba did miss a few chances, but he’s young and needs to learn how to put those away – talking to Michael cannot hurt.
  • We still lack creativity, but credit to our two wonder subs Owen and Emre. Emre in particular turned this game brilliantly in Newcastle’s direction and proved he can be a valuable player for the team – we also love his attitude and what a goal!
  • Michael Owen has probably not been given a fair crack of the whip at Newcastle. I say that because he’s been injured so much and plays for England a lot. BUT, what is becoming very clear is that he’s dedicated to Newcastle. Michael paid a huge compliment to the Newcastle supporters after the game while being interviewed on TV by saying – anything is possible in a game with this crowd.
    He gets all sorts of publicity because he is a world-class player who England rely on heavily. Maybe we need to understand that a little more and give Michael some slack. It looks to us like he’s coming back to real fitness and form and his injury rehabilitation this week has been remarkably positive. Owen has to be given credit for the way he has worked himself back to fitness these last 7 days – he’s a tough cookie. Roll on Tottenham. Wonder how many Michael would have scored in first half if he had started.
  • The defense contains some great players who are not particularly playing well as a defensive unit yet. Take the back four – Given has never played with Cacapa and Faye before yesterday and only once with Enrique in the reserves. So is it really surprising there was miscommunication between them? That’s why Sam probably needs to organize more games behind the scenes to give them more playing time together. The fact that we had so many new players in and still got all 3 points is great, because we will only get better.
  • Good to see Enrique get a good game and he looks a solid performer and a good player. We’ll trust Sam knows what’s best to bring him along, but he’s a big strong lad and seems really well suited to the Premiership. Good player who could become a great player, and certainly one for the future.
  • Faye was a surprise choice at center-back in place of Roz but what a game he had. Cacapa and Faye looked just great together at the heart of the defense. Roz and Taylor were on the bench, and it looks to us like Sam still wants to bring in Brazilian Edmilson is early January from Barcelona. Is Sam collecting center backs? :D
  • Milner and N’Zogbia were not as effective as we’d thought they’d be – and why on earth did they switch wings? We think the pair will threaten any defense but why play Charles on the right wing and Milner on the left? Am I missing something?
  • No clean sheet again which is understandably worrying to manager Allardyce. The first goal was a bad one to give away and let Everton right back into the game – shades of last week. We’ll put the second one down to a fluke but it took the shine off the win. 3-1 sounds a lot better than 3-2.
  • Finally, the lads went through a lot of adversity yesterday, some of it their own doing. But they persevered and came through it all with a good win. And it was truly a team win with our two subs helping out wonderfully. That’s the beauty of having a closely knit squad.
    Well Done!

Comments always welcome – please keep them civil to each other :D and decent – many thanks.

Tags: Match Reports · Newcastle News

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 gordon // Oct 8, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I think maybe given is worried about the jaaskaleinan link.

• 2 Murvar // Oct 8, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I thought that Enrique was very good yesterday; he is strong and has good feet (as KK used to say) for a big man – his 30 yard balls were very accurate. He didn’t show much attacking intent but was presumably under instructions to let Zog do the marauding. Like Ed, I’m not sure why James and Zog were swopped over for so long, but to be fair we had a purple patch in the first half when they were on the “wrong” wings. We just persisted with it for too long after it stiopped working. The other revelation was Smith up front – but it wasn’t a surprise; he’s probably the closest thing in the PL to a Shearer in holding up the ball with his back to goal. I’d really like to see him play with Owen. Can’t see Shola staying especially if we get the Burnley lad to add to Carroll. Also – perhaps Siobhan could talk us through the second Everton goal?

• 3 Toon Chicken // Oct 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Murvar – think you mean Sinead

• 4 Toon Chicken // Oct 8, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’ll have a go if you like…

Shay makes one mistake and ye all saying ye think Harper shud play but what ye don’t know is that if weren’t for Shay then ye all be turning up to watch Newcastle play Accrington Stanley. I haven’t seen the game – heck I didn’t even see the goal, but if anyone on here say’s anything bad about me, I mean Shay, then am always the first one on here to defend him. Besides Harper only ever plays cos he’s English and the FA told their mam to tell Harper’s mam to tell BSA’s mam that they’d never consider him for the England job if he didn’t pick him. It’s all a big conspiracy – I think we shud get rid of Big Sam and get a nice mew manager like… Stan. He’d never pick Harper ever again and Shay would be number one for ever.
    Right i’m off to walk Roy Keane’s dog – see ye all later.

• 5 stjames // Oct 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM

I am not satisfied just to win. I also want good football and that we are not getting. In our longball strikes it’s like we want to break through closed doors. Very little is done to actually open them before entering. Creating spaces with clever passing is much more effective than 50/50 longballs. In defense it’s all about keeping the doors closed. A polite knock seems to open them at the moment and almost invite the intruders inside. We escaped with 2 goals though.

Emre made huge difference. I haven’t been particularly keen on him but yesterday he showed real skill. So did Owen by the way. Oba had a good game except for repeatedly missing the goal. Arguably a striker that doesn’t find the target, has a bad game. ;)

• 6 Tripp // Oct 8, 2007 at 6:38 PM

*giggle*. Oh play nice, but well done ;)

• 7 Bill F // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Ed aren’t we always polite and civil to each other, well most of the time anyway :) Shays goal was horrible but it was a bl**dy awkward one to deal with, I think a lot of (good) goalies might have been left with egg on their faces. The earlier near debacle would have been much more embarassing when the ball nearly went in off somes back from an attempted clearance. Pretty wins are nice but they stem from confidence building winning runs, I will take ugly at the moment. Anyway from what I saw of the game (highlights on beeb) it looked reasonably proficient apart from the two bad goals.

• 8 Murvar // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Only just caught up with Toon Chicken’s Sinead impression – brilliant! I bet you never see the two of them in a room together………

• 9 welldamaged // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:24 PM

What about when we throw Barton in the mix?

• 10 Andreas // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM

@Toon Chicken, rofl!

Brilliant imitation I must say (or did you just copy an old Sinead post *lol*)

• 11 Jóhann // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Good one Toon Chicken. That annoys me the most about Sinead and his “eye in the future if Given hadn´t been around”
    And about the creator of this article for instance I remember first after the game. No Comments on Given´s mistake. You would clearly have criticised Harper big time but hey Given was so good in the past…ehh when he helped us win what title? He´s been good yea but as I saw some-one say he´s a keeper that makes things look good. Just think about it next time. He gets a lot more shots on him than Harper does. It´s not really funny how much securer Harper is and I truly think Robson saw that. And you don´t even mention the misunderstanding early in the game. You instead state that it´s normaly because he was playing first time with the defenders….Ehh don´t quite rememer these misunderstanding with his defenders when Harper was in goal. The thing that Harper does that every keeper should do when playing with new players ahead of him is not taking chances just go and clear the ball as he did in the opening stages of his last league game.

So g*d damnit stop making excuses for Given saying this could have happened for other keepers. Did it happen? No, the situation would most likely don´t even occur. If you make excuses for one player be ready to do it for others. And one more which I have stressed for a long long time(every since I found this site you have seen me stress it) and I see more and more people getting on the same opinion that Harper makes players be more secure around. His communication is a lot better and I have been very impressed that his kicking has improved. And don´t forgot the calmness he brings. I just hope Sam is seeing it as well. And compare the two keepers a little. Harper came in after a while out made some bad kicking mistakes and it cost one goal and you are still bringing it up some of you to this day(not sure about the creator of the article though!) while Given makes a mistake and you excuse him. Doesn´t this remind you a little of how Beckham and Lampard have played every game for England no matter what performance they give. Hey of course they once were great for England then they still must be great…ehh.
    That´s it for now ;)

• 12 Eve // Oct 8, 2007 at 9:50 PM

I don’t get it, why does everyone hate Shay Given, I thought he was yere best player?? He’s been really loyal to ye and outstandingly consistant for 10 years I don’t get where all this hate is comming from. Yere talking about Harper like he’s better then Given, now I’ve only seen this site a couple of times so correct me if I’m wrong like but that what I get from a few people. Seems kind of ungratefull to me but anyway. I saw the OG, don’t think many keepers could have kept it out, I thought it was bad when I heard it was an og like but when I saw it I thought it was very unlucky.

Jóhann..em wow, what did he ever do to you. Newcastle haven’t been great in the past but the last person you’d blam for that would be Given.

I don’t know but Harper seems a bit overated by the couple of ye here, if you ask me, all he’s done is play OK against average bottom side tables. Whenever he plays it just seemse very frantic and panicked, a mass sense of confusion.

Anyway, decent enough win on Sunday. Screws could do with a bit of tightining like, the back line could do with more experience together. Good to see Owen scoring again.

• 13 Bill F // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Blimey, I’ve never been the greatest fan of Given but there seems to be a lot of Sh*te being chucked at him at the moment. Lets not forget who he has had playing in front of him defence in days of yore. I don’t think theres a lot between Given and Harper it could be worse we could have Robinson now there is a cr*p keeper. Harper deserves to play for England more than he does.

• 14 TOON1 // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:10 PM

I think when emre came on we looked a different team,little more creativity which you would expect with the turkish magician on the field.Always liked emre from his inter milan days ,but never quite fullfilled his potential at the toon.But hopefully he has turned the corner and put his injuries behind him.Great article the other day saying he loves the toon fans and is quite happy to stay ,which could be really good news for us.With him and Barton in the centre of midfield ,i believe could be our strongest partnership .Good to see the boys win ,but there is still room for improvement!!Did i hear boo’s when martyns came off ,what did you make it ED????

• 15 roscoe // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:15 PM

I just Uploaded the Goals Video on http://www.youtube.com for anyone is interested that missed the game or if you just want to see Emre’s pile driver again!! Hasn’t come up yet but will post link as soon as it does!

Cheers!

• 16 Rich F // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Hey Guys,

im back after a long hiatus, hope everyones well?

i just popped in to say Emre was amazing for 15 minutes yesterday, i was one of many who had written Emre off but i admit he made me eat my words for 15 minutes yesterday.

I have to say it remains to be seen if he can continue the form he showed us all yesterday, who knows, maybe the injection of competition has made him realise hes not a definite starter for us or Big Sam is just working his magic?

and lastly, Why have the press still got Given in their sights????!?!?? leave the man alone, he is the worlds best keeper and maybe us buying Jussi is just so we have a nice strong team of Keepers, but they go on about as if we buy Jussi thats the end of Given, i know for a fact Big Sam isnt that foolish.

• 17 Rich F // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:20 PM

and further tomy comments their this snippet from the giant nufc.com:

Startling evidence of the ground-breaking medical techniques being employed by Sam Allardyce’s staff has been provided by Emre:

“I know the Newcastle supporters like me and they know I like them.

“I got a brilliant reception when I came on and when I scored and that means a lot. The fans are very important and they helped us to win the game.

“I am very happy at Newcastle. I love the city and I love the supporters.

“I have had some problems but I have cleaned my brain and I am fully focused on Newcastle United.

• 18 roscoe // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:27 PM

• 19 apan // Oct 9, 2007 at 12:40 AM

given & harper again…like i said in previous post both have their strength and weaknessees and harper certainlybetter in the communication area than given, given is agile while harper is massive depends on the opponents we should their strength………but on current form harper looks better

• 20 apan // Oct 9, 2007 at 12:43 AM

thanks roscoe great upload

• 21 geordie_jordan // Oct 9, 2007 at 3:21 AM

from this game i learned that emre needs to start in midfield. period. we looked like a better side when he came on. and don’t say it was just owen, how many times has he come on and been invisible? it was emre’s free kick which gifted him a clean header (or was it a shoulder?). sorry to go sinead on you about emre. i’ve never been his biggest fan, but he’s committed himself to nufc and if he keeps putting in performances like he did against everton, we will be a much much better side.

• 22 Hammy // Oct 9, 2007 at 5:18 AM

Toon Chicken…you are one funny guy…..always look forward to your posts, you should be writing comedy…….anybody taking bets for when Sinead next appears??

Oh and welcome back Kash, last seen at the petrol station with a lemonade bottle. (cops mustn’t have caught up with him yet..)

• 23 Hammy // Oct 9, 2007 at 5:21 AM

Reet I’m gan back to bed…I only got up because the cat brought a moose in through the cat flap and the bloody thing was squeaking…..

• 24 Tripp // Oct 9, 2007 at 6:02 AM

Christ! That’s one helluva cat! ;)

So how does Owen get an assist on Emre’s goal? That’s a very generous assist scoring.

• 25 geno toon // Oct 9, 2007 at 8:15 AM

this is funny the Given or Harper debate… you guys are forgetting when Alonso Chipped harper from LPFC’s own half last season….. Given is better. That was a akward ball that took a deflection. blame the Defense not Given for it even being in the area!

• 26 Steve K // Oct 9, 2007 at 8:32 AM

I really don’t understand the whole “Given” thing. Superb goalkeeper.

You lot though, truly are idiots. I can’t put it a nicer way.

• 27 Steve K // Oct 9, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Yes Toon Chicken is hilarious – I love it when he calls people “f*&*^g tosser” and “irish twat”.

Ed, do you moderate these boards or are you really going to let them descend into a place for people like Toon Chicken to say naughty words he can’t get away with in real life?

• 28 Steve K // Oct 9, 2007 at 8:52 AM

Yes, yes, Toon Chicken really is hilarious with replies such as “f**king tosser” and “irish twat” to Sinead.

A misogynistic xenophobe – exactly what’s needed on a website about football. Surely there can be some moderation of this site, because to be honest it’s pretty abusive.

As for Toon Chicken, I wonder what mother would have to say about his potty mouth.

• 29 Ed Harrison // Oct 9, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Roscoe – many thanks – the video is up now.

• 30 Ed Harrison // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:03 AM

I moderate the comments and if the F word’s in there I usually change it – but otherwise right now – I let them through – I’ll make some comments on our comments policy today at the end of the articles. No really foul language and try to be civil and that may mean accepting that other people have different opinions and ideas an disagree. What a concept!

• 31 Toon Chicken // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Steve K – when exactly did I refer to Sinead as an Irish twat?

As for being a “misogynist xenophobe” – did you just swallow a dictionary or something?

FYI Steve K – I do not hate all women, and nor do I have a morbid dislike of foreigners. Quite the opposite in fact.

And as for the “f*&^&*king tosser” comment – I did feel slightly bad about that, even though you had bad-mouthed me, my co-bloggers and the entire geordie fanbase. But well done sir, you have since confirmed my suspicions.

• 32 soz // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Emre is a racist bastard and the FA bottled it with him last year.

• 33 Luke // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Never a truer word said Steve K. The Given abuse is astonishing. Goldfish memories.

• 34 Steve K // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Toon Chicken – we can all be a bit arrogant with our opinions (guilty here). Lets just try to keep the personal comments out of it, and give Ed less of a task with the moderation.

It’s a really great site for sharing opinions so lets not abuse that right.

And lay off poor Sinead, Shay is quite a handsome man and we can all forgive her for the fascination.

• 35 Owen // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Potty mouth…………LOL. Grow up.

As for the keeper debate.

Both are great keepers, we should be delighted to have them at the club, not slagging them off when they’ve had a bad day.

Given has done fantastic for the club and you couldn’t have a more loyal player than harper.

Emre played well but I also think that when Owen is on form his little runs create the space for the other players to work in. Lets face it, when Owen moves, somebody has to track him and that opens the game up. He can be very important to the team without even touching the ball.

Smith played way, way better up front than in midfield, but I think we all knew that.

Faye had a great game, better than Casapa today, but not by much. Young Jose looked good, solid and strong. Beye was ok.

Martins. Well everybody has an off day. Lets hope it dosent affect him confidence wise.

Milner and Zog. Err …… a bit anonmous really. Expected more.

Butt played very well and took the goal superbly. His partner Geremi on the other hand had a bit of a stinker. His delivery from set piece’s was nothing short of woeful. His last couple of games have been poor. Butt has played his way ahead of Geremi.

Oh and finally……

Howay the Lads….. :)

• 36 andyc290 // Oct 9, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Given and Harper are two top quality keepers and there is very little between them. Given just edges it for me and the own goal against Everton was the only big mistake hes made since Dion Dublin made him look like a tit about 10 years ago. They should both be applauded for their loyalty, Given could have gone to any of the top four clubs, Harper has been happy to be second choice. I think thats cos he knows Given is just that little bit better than him.

Mint goal by Emre and his attitude seems spot on but I think everyone is gettin a little bit carried away saying he’s exactly what we need and make him first choice. He’s been here a long time now and played plenty games but has he contributed that much? This is his chance to prove himself.

• 37 Toon Chicken // Oct 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Steve K – I could probably count the number of swear words I’ve used on this blog on one hand. Sometimes I do despair at the some of the things I hear on here though.
    Your comment the other day was one such occasion. And I quote, “Shay Given should go to a club where the fans understand football.”
    If you’ve ever read my posts (and you obviously have) you will know that I am a very proud and passionate Toon fan. And so, for another so-called fan to make such a comment, well, I think you got a way lightly with my chosen terminology.
    Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion and you are no different – but to openly slate the greatest fans in the world on their own blog – what did you expect, flowers?
    I am willing to draw a line under this, and will try even harder to refrain from the more colourful words in the OED in future.

I do however, take exception to your claim that I called Sinead an Irish t**t. I have never and would never make a comment like that.
    Sinead and I have previous. We have banter. Craic, even.
    I wasn’t insulting her, I was merely taking the mick. I’m sure Sinead will see the comment and make her own judgement in her own time, and I shall look forward and no doubt crack a smile at her response – such is the nature of this site.

And so in response to your request for more moderation on this site. Ed, keep it up mate – I think it’s pretty bloody perfect as it is.

• 38 Andy T // Oct 9, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Whats this tosh about Jussii. Given and Harper are both streets ahead. I know a lot of people rave abaout him, but every time he’s played against us, especially at St James’s he’s come up with a howler thats gifted us the game. Was it his first game against us when he got himself sent of after punching the ball away from Shearers head somewhere around the centre circle?
    Right now choosing between Given and Harper must be a nightmare. For me Harper has shown the slightly better form so far this season, while Given has made a few unforced errors, mainly on crosses, but he’s never been the best at collecting the high ball – but usually punches it pretty well. I think Harper has been working on his shot stopping, because he’s pulled off a few fantastic saves. Right now whoever walks out between the sticks, I’m happy.

Also Enrique looked fantastic at left back. He won and shielded the ball very well. Got up to support the midfield, passed accurately and kept with the pace of the game. As he matures and builds up experience I think he is going to be a world class defender. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the big four sniffing around him for next season. Hopefully we can do well enough to get European compotition next year, otherwise I can see a big money offer luring him away (BTW – the big money would be for NUFC, not him, as he’s on a 5 year contract)

• 39 Dingo // Oct 9, 2007 at 11:02 AM

• 40 Dingo // Oct 9, 2007 at 11:03 AM

:P

• 41 Toon Chicken // Oct 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM

haha – love it

• 42 Jóhann // Oct 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM

People!! Don´t forget players get payed for playing well so I don´t really have any goldfish memory. If players don´t do their job they shouldn´t been in the side. That really astonishes me, you are really saying that a player should be played because of his past history? If you want to have success you just can´t look for loyality, it´s as simple as that. As soon as Beckham didn´t do his business for manutd he was out. That´s also the real main reason England haven´t tasted success.

And yea geno that alonso goal are you kidding me. Any keeper can lose his footing and slip. I´ve at least never felt like that was a bad mistake. Much more the kicking mistake Harper did that was kinda bad.

• 43 darren mills // Oct 9, 2007 at 4:26 PM

The whole thing with the keepers is a joke they are both great keepers but shay has been the most consistant performer in the premier league for the last 6 years at least.
    Good to see Emre come on and change the game we’ve been crying out for some creativity in our midfield, should be even better soon when Barton finallly plays.Also if Viduka is out then i would like to see Owen and Martins get a chance with there speed and movement they will be a nightmare for defences especially at home, Martins does miss some chances but he also scores goals that other people cant, the 2 together are worth a chance.

• 44 david bulman // Oct 9, 2007 at 4:54 PM

johann,go and learn about football,how quick you are to slag of shay after one mistake,shay is a world class keeper and has been our best player in so many matches.hes had to play behind some crap defenders over the 10 years at club.harper is a very good keeper and is just unlucky he has shay at team who never suffered much from injuries.looking forward to seeing barton in team and would like to see him in centre with emre.agree with owens comments and geremi had a bad game again,alot of wasteful set pieces and not covering back great.enrique looks very promising and well suited to the premiership.hopefully he will work out alot better than some of the other spanish rubbish we had.

• 45 apan // Oct 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM

given are the best on paper, but on current form is harper, enuff said, gk also have its up and down

• 46 Eve // Oct 9, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Ya Given has an international against Germany on Saturday and no doubt he’ll be busy, no doubt he’ll probally redeme himself.

previous post: Newcastle After 20 year-old 6’4″ Striker