The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Owen Shows Real Guts For Newcastle

8:01 am, Monday, October 8th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Michael Owen seems determined to repay his club Newcastle United for their patience with the striker over the last two years, after he came off the bench yesterday and won the game for the Tyneside club.

Michael set up the wonder strike for Emre and then scored a headed goal from a cross by Emre to ensure a vital Newcastle victory yesterday against Everton.

michael-owen-8597.jpg

Michael Owen – showed great courage last week and yesterday

It was great theater from the striker and he is looking like the Michael Owen of old. He now has 10 goals for Newcastle and is starting to show his worth and courage to the Tyneside club.

Here’s what Michael told nufc.co.uk after the game last night:

“I think coming back in eight days to play for my club shows a bit of determination.” “I’ve worked hard over the past week and it’s good to play a game eight days after surgery.”

Owen believes he is fitter than most people realize. He expects to play in both of England’s vital Euro 2008 qualifiers, against Estonia at Wembley and Russia on the artificial pitch in Moscow, over the next ten days. We see no reason for Michael not to start for England as long as there is no reaction from his hernia in training this week, and caution is exercised by McClaren.

Michael continued:

“It’s feeling good and I’m available for both teams. It’s not as if I’m pushing myself just to play for England.” “I’m fine. I’m playing without pain and will only get better.”

“It’s only a minor thing and I’ve still got all the stitches in. I’ve put in a lot of hard work and I was actually disappointed not to start (against Everton).”

Owen is in contact with world-renowned German surgeon Dr. Ulrike Muschaweck, who performed both of the procedures on Owen in Germany last weekend, and is telling Michael he will not break down so to keep pushing on in training. Michael went on:

“And she said to push it as hard as I wanted – nothing can break down,” “I’m stronger than I was before the operation. It’s just a question of managing the discomfort.”

“Playing against Derby I felt it pretty badly and in the following game as well. I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for the last month or six weeks now.”“But I’m feeling better for it already – I can go on the pitch now and not feel any pain.”

Then Michael was asked about the dramatic Newcastle win and he gave a wry smile and said:

“We’ve put in a decent performance. We haven’t been putting in great performances, but with this crowd behind you anything’s possible so it’s nice to get three points today.”

“However, we need to play better away and pick up more points away from home.”

When Newcastle finally broke the deadlock with a wonderful strike from other sub Emre, the St. James’ Part crowd went crazy. It’s got to be said that the Newcastle fans urged their team on in the second half relentlessly, even though it looked like the Magpies had thrown it all away. Then when Michael scored the roof almost came off the stadium :D

Credit to Michael because we realize he much prefers to do his talking on the field and he’s started to do that at Newcastle. We cannot wait for a consistently fit Michael Owen but it looks like he’s getting there. Great job Michael.

Tags: Michael Owen · Newcastle News · Players

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Steve K // Oct 8, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Great for Michael. We all really hope he can keep fit and be an integral part of our season. It still feels like Michael Owen and Newcastle are separate entities, but a solid season should change that.

A get-out-of-jail free card if ever I saw one.

• 2 Graham // Oct 8, 2007 at 8:25 AM

I’m pleased for Owen – I only hope that he means what he says in way of ‘i’m doing it for both clubs not just england’. Good to see him amongst the goals (even if it did go in off his shoulder).

On the game – it’s as Allardyce said when he took over – he needs wins not fancy performances and draws / defeats to buy time to gel the new players together (and hopefully a couple more in january). 3 goals at home tends to get you a win – we’ve just got to become more solid at the back on our travels.

• 3 Nufc1000 // Oct 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM

I thought Owen looked thouroughly embarrassed last night on Match of the Day when he was instantly asked about England without a mention of Newcastle in the post match interview. I’m getting so so sick of all the southern media and how they cant see the fact that Owen is a Newcastle player first and an England player second. I feel for Michael a bit, he gets a bad press from some Newcastle fans because they only ever hear him talking about England. To be fair, he hardly ever gets the chance to talk about anything else in the media. I’m sure when he scored on Motd last night the commentator reffered to him as ‘England’s Michael Owen!’. What a joke Motd is……but I guess that’s a debate for another time and place.

• 4 Bill F // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Nufc1000. I don’t think it’s just the southern media at fault, there seems to be whole swathes of the media generally putting words into his mouth that he has never (to my knowledge) uttered. The thing to do is ignore it till something actually happens.

• 5 Ed Harrison // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:27 AM

I think Michael likes it at Newcastle and gave the Geordie crowd a huge compliment last night. He’s got to put up with all the nonsense from the media – and that’s hardly his fault – we need to back Michael – he’s still produced the goals even with all his injuries. After all he doesn’t want to be injured. really hope he’s going to stay for extended periods now.

• 6 Dingo // Oct 8, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I was @ the match yesterday and I was upset… not at the result but the fact that Oba got booed when he left the field……. when are we (the supporters) going to become less fickle. If we cant see that that type of response to a player missing 1 chance does more detriment than good, then it does not bode well for the future. Whats next… egg Oba’s house. bunch of numptys.

(rant oba!)

• 7 hadrian // Oct 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM

didnt hear the boo’s for oba , thought he got a good reception as he came off .
    if he was boo’d i agree completely that it was out of order .
    we seem tobe a glutten for punishment and slag off those most loyal to us and praise those who would be away in the blink of an eye , i still have owen tagged as the latter, signing a new contract would help him in my eyes tho.
    owen has had to many injurys now for any of the big 4 to come in for him , he’s got the potential tobe remembered and loved in the north east for years to come , lets see what he does with it .

• 8 Dally // Oct 8, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I had heard the boos too, but in another article i read the boos were meant for michael thus why he put his hand to his ear when he scored.

• 9 Graham // Oct 8, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Ed – did I not mention those fickle Newcastle fans only a few days ago? Forget Shepherd – we’re are own worst enemy at times…

• 10 Ed Harrison // Oct 8, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I don’t think the boos were directed at Michael when he came on – think the crowd would have liked to see Michael and Oba together – think they were more because Oba was going off.

• 11 ben // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Owen gives 110% whenever he plays and when hes isnt down with an injury and i dont think ive seen a player who wants to play for newcastle [other than smith] for a while…its just i think from his body language that he is getting fed up with what people and press in the north east think of him..okkai weve stuck by him through the past2 years!..but he is starting to get the goals..as always playing with his heart [and brain]..and he will be an excellent player this year and next…i think the fans should give him support and get off his back…watch him score for us consistently [as he will when fit] and then see whether the club can persuade owen his future lies in the north east..think we have the next geordie legend here..

previous post: Sam Takes Credit For Inspired Substitutions and Why Not?

next post: New Newcastle Defense Showing Real Commitment