Barton Completely Committed to Newcastle

Joey Barton is making excellent progress from his metatarsal injury, and he played 60 minutes for the reserves last night, although he didn’t want to come off, because he felt so good.

Looks like he will be competing for a place in Newcastle’s team for the Tottenham game on 22nd October, a must win game for us.

3 points should catapult us back with the leaders. Currently we are in 9th place, but the four teams above us are grouped within 1 point of Newcastle.

joey-barton-231.jpg

Joey Barton – completely committed to Newcastle United

Joey was asked initially about England. He won his only England cap as a substitute in the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford in February. This is what Joey said:

“England is on the back-burner for me, without a shadow of a doubt,” “I haven’t been bought to play for England – I am here to play for Newcastle United.”

“People get carried away about playing for their country. It is always nice to be selected, and it is always a privilege and an honor. But the thing I have to do first and foremost is to do what I have been bought to do, and that is play good football for Newcastle.”

“If England comes, then so be it, but I have played for them once now and that will do for me. I am more interested in winning domestic honors.”

“This is my bread and butter and at the minute, hand on heart, I would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England.”

Newcastle currently have 10 players away on international duty and they will not return until 18th October, which is the Thursday before our Monday night game at home to Tottenham. Barton will be playing again in a behind-closed-doors friendly that has been arranged for tomorrow, so he can be ready for the Tottenham game.

Joey played for about 60 minutes in last night’s 3-1 reserve team victory over Wigan reserves at Kingston Park, but he wanted to play the full game.

“They were saying to me, ‘come off’ after 65 minutes because that was always the plan,” “But I was saying, ‘No, I can play 90 minutes.” “But that’s the way I always am and I wanted to push myself that little bit further.”

“They know a lot better than me how to get to the right level and they have done very well for me with my injury so far, so it is just a case of trusting them and listening to what they have to say.”

“There is no rush because there is no game for another couple of weeks until Spurs, and I must be careful to make sure that I am in contention for that game.”

It looks to us if Joey can prove his match fitness he may even start the game against Tottenham, although Big Sam will probably put him on the bench. But with Barton and Emre both back, and Faye and Cacapa looking good in defense, Sam may soon have to decide what his best starting eleven is, with everyone coming back from injury. That will not be easy, but we think his starting eleven has to include Joey.

It will be good to see our best team out sometime, whatever that is 😀

• Hammy

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Apart from throwing the odd wobbler…wor Joey looks like he has what it takes to be a big hit with the fans (no pun intended)……..all of BSA signings have looked excellent business but I’m sure most supporters are waiting to see Barton in action. Nice to see him putting the toon first, seems to me to be a player in the Roy Keane mould…..and he wasn’t bad.

• Dingo

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I have said it before and ill say it again… Joey and Emre are gonna be the difference for us this season. Not sure if Joey is having a dig at MO or teh press about the England v club comments but really I dont care. Nice one Joey…. Ill be shouting for ya on the 22nd.

• Alex

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:04 PM

with a fully fit Joey Barton,Emre and Duff i think Newcastle will be a much improved creative unit.The team have already proved they are a more physical ,tougher and hard working group than in the last few seasons .Its been a long time since we have had so many players that have leadership qualities in the first team squad but i think Joey will be the player that ends up as the long term captain.

• Bill F

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:33 PM

My apologies to anyone reading the earlier blog re Geordieland, couldn’t get back to it any earlier. I have just added another comment if anyone is interested.

• Bill F

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM

I think Sam will have some very nice selection problems, much better state of affairs than last season when it was the walking wounded and his dog.

• Lull

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Can’t wait to watch Joey’s debut 🙂 Most promising signing by Sam so far in me eyes.

• Dirk

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:25 PM

weve got a brilliant team now once every1 is back.
    …………….Given/harper……………….
    beye…cacapa/taylor..rozenhal/faye…enrique
    ………barton/geremi…emre/butt…………………
    milner………………….nzogbia/duff…….
    ………..owen/martins/smith/viduka……………..
    we hav cover in almost every position. as soon as we reach january, all we need is another good rb, lb,rm and then we’ll hav a squad to challenge the top 4! we cant include second string useless players that do nothin for us, carr babayaro and ameobie should b sold as they do nothing bu take money from newcstle.

• w2

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Martins Vids Owen
    Emre Butt Barton
    EnriqueCacapaRozyBeye

Dat Midfield full of generals!

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:41 PM

totally agree dirk will be an awesome team when it happens, and with a rb lb and rm we will be a force once again.

joey barton is a nice lad you know, just has a bad temper, taking the young youth teamers under his wing, already and giving them tips and hints during training and matches….

i will be singing along with you dingo

• JJ

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM

I just downloaded the demo for football manager 2008. I think in my last 8 years or so of playing the game, this is the first time I wasnt quite sure who to buy because I felt all the positions were well covered. I know its just a game but it really does prove a point in reality. The only position I felt we could improve was a world class attacking midfielder.
    Well done Sam for putting together such a fine squad. Our bench is gona be awesome. (Harper, Taylor, Martins, Barton, Duff) – most sides would dream of having those players in their first side.
    Cant wait to see Joey driving us forward in midfield.

• Howie

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM

would love to see barton and emre start against spuds but can only see one of them starting. Does anyone know if that game is on setanta or sky

• ToonKing

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Damn…talk about the right attitude…..Owen don’t sleep in class, pay attention to Joey !!!!!!

Along with Smith, Joey is my favourite signing of the summer, i can’t help but feel close to these “bad boys” cause i’ve had my fair share of troubles and will probably have a few more 🙂 .

Can’t wait to see him in action, Dingo and Leo, count me in too 😉 , do we have a song for him ?? we definitely need a Joey song!!!

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:28 PM

i dont know of one, but im sure some artistic so n so will be able to think up one!!!

his going to break your legs your legs, joey, joey, joey

joey barton…joey barton

see i am not artistic so thats drivell and unfair i am just been stupid.

got to be something along the lines of

theres only one joey barton style….

• Rich F

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM

10 years for Given and not a mention on here.

disgraceful!

• Hammy

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Could blatantly rip off the old …
    Warren Barton..Centre parting Centre parting.
    Joey would need to change his hair though…somebody else can ask him.

• Hammy

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Rich F
    It was brought up yesterday mate, you’re too late.

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM

i will tell him about his hair, get him to put it into a side parting

his often in the lounge during lunch hours, with some lass. might pop in for lunch… talk tactics haha

• Dingo

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM

a song… Joey is a geordie, joey is a geordie la la laa la, la laa la la

again teh stella is holding my creativity back ill try again tomorrow

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM

ill go with the joey is a geordie one.

• Dingo

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:13 PM

well one more can and my creativity came back all o a sudden

to the tune of mow a meadow

2 black eyes and city cries,
    Dabo is a farting,
    hes bricking it, hes soft as shit
    he scared of joey barton

thumbs up or down… it may need more work!??!

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:15 PM

thumbs up. but it needs a bit of fine tuning, only someone when drinking stella would come up with that. might have a couple before the spurs game. get me ballsey

• Dingo

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Ed…. can we have a Joey Barton song competition please adn a blog vote for the winner… just for hoots like ???

• Dingo

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM

cheers leo 😛

• Hammy

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:21 PM

here is a joke….if you are Irish please do not read..

English Irish and Scotsman have just finished their basic training
    They are now just one step away from being in the SAS
    ENGLISHMAN GOES TO SEE THE SAS COMMANDER.

sas commander ” Right John, your wife is next door, there is a gun on the table, pick it up and blow her head off. You do that and you are in the SAS.”
    john: “No sweat”
    John goes into the room, picks up gun, points at the missus……..can’t do it..
    loves her too much. Goes back and sees the commander.
    sas commander ” Right fu$k off you are no good to me”

next up is Jock

sas commander ” Right Jock, your wife is next door, there is a gun on the table, pick it up and blow her head off. You do that and you are in the SAS.”
    jock: “Och nae bother”
    Jock goes into the room, picks up gun, points at the missus……..can’t do it..
    loves her too much. Goes back and sees the commander.
    sas commander ” Right fu$k off you are a waste of fu$king space”

Anyway Paddy’s turn next
    sas commander ” Right Paddy, your wife is next door, there is a gun on the table, pick it up and blow her head off. You do that and you are in the SAS.”
    Paddy ” I’ll give it a go”
    Paddy goes into the room, picks up gun, points at the missus……..

10 minutes goes by

Paddy comes out of the room, dripping with sweat.

“Aye you’re some lad…that gun was full of blanks….I had to strangle her!!”

It sounds better after a few pints…..

• leo

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM

quality joke, thats my next joke to tell down the pub

• ChrisL

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM

It’s almost like Joey is Sam’s puppet. I just can’t imagine Joey giving a more perfect statement & at just the right time.

It’s all early days & that, but Joey has been an absolutely perfect professional since turning black & white. I’m sure he’s going to have his moments… but I do like his effort so far. Let’s just hope he stays out of jail.

• Bill F

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:45 AM

I remember watching a Toon match at Tottenham many, many years ago, I had had a skinful and needed a quick leak during which time we scored. There were a lot of empty seats but there were 2 middle aged wifeys just in front of us, and I asked my mate if it was a good goal. These 2 turned around and said no it F*cking wasn’t and shut up or they would tw*t us. Well aah was gobsmacked, aahve been to Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham but aahve never been as shocked or scared as a wor on that neet. Reminded me of that lass that used to climb up into the ring at St. James hall and chase the ref around during the wrestling. We still won though.

• geordie_jordan

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:56 AM

i think sinead changed his blog id to rich f

• valle

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:20 AM

I love this attitude!!!

I know im asking much in this day and age but i want players to put their club before everything other than friends and family and Joey seems to fit that bill…

• Lamesley Mag

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Looking forward to seeing Barton in the Newcastle midfield, but doubt he’ll make the starting eleven for our next game. The guy reminds me so much of my hero from early 70’s; Tony Green!

Hopefully BSA selects Emre from the start against Spurs with Barton coming on in the second half after Emre runs out of steam.

So we may get to see; Barton vs. Jenas at some stage against Spurs…….

• bowsie

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Here’s a funny joke, don’t read if you are English or Scottish.

Compare the British GDP to the Irish one.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:47 AM

More encouraging words from JB – hope he plans to do as much talking on the field (I’m sure he will).

Just on a side note though, and to put things in to perspective, because I’ve heard a few murmurs on here to the effect of, “this is exactly the sort of attitude MO should have”. Well, possibly, but it’s a heck of a lot easier to make those club before country statements when you’re not actually being considered for your national team.

I’m certainly not having a go at wor Joey – there’s a long enough line of people waiting to do that already – I just think his comments should be read with a little caution, before anyone get’s too carried away.

Really looking forward to seeing him in first team action now, and even if he is a peer man’s Gerrard – it’s better than no Gerrard at all in my book!

• Toon Chicken

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:48 AM

that’ll be poor man’s Gerrard – not peer man!!

• bowsie

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:07 AM

True enough Toon Chicken it’s easier to knock the England call when you haven’t got one.

Though the story about Joey’s England call and him calling Frank Lampard a “fat bastard” is hilarious – many more caps (and anecdotes) for the future I hope.

• Craig Allen

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Is that a stab at Owen? Could cause some dressing room friction if so. The last thing we need. Sam, get your PR people to do the talking wrt sensitive issues please. We can’t have unnecessary conflict escalated by press baiting. We know they’re looking for stories, let’s not give them something to write about.

Really looking forward to seeing Joey and Emre in the middle. Not sure if Sam will play the two together. Happy days.

• Jaypro

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM

I do think Joey was sending a message to Mickey. Well done. We need some fire in the midfield and in the dressing room. Now let’s hope he actually earns another England cap by his club performances.