Owen and Allardyce Not On Same Wavelength

Michael Owen, after helping to get the job done on Sunday for Newcastle against Everton, says he is ready to face Estonia at Wembley on Saturday and Russia in Moscow four days later.

Looks like Sam Allardyce is urging caution because Michael was just operated on 10 days ago in Germany, but as usual Owen really wants to play for his country.

Is there anything wrong with this? Absolutely not, just as long as he doesn’t return injured again from the international break.

michael-owen-scores.gif

Michael Owen – likely to start both upcoming England games

This is what Michael said yesterday:

“I will listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.”

Obviously Newcastle fans are concerned that he could be injured again. Michael has 21 appearances for Newcastle (17 starts) and has scored 10 goals. An excellent return in goals given he’s been in and out of the team. But in the 2 year period he’s probably played about half that number of games for England.

Michael continued:

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation. Everyone could see how much I wanted to get back and play for Newcastle.”

“It’s feeling good and I am available for both teams I represent. It’s much stronger than when I went in.”

“Even when it feels a bit tight you just plough through it. A lot of players have this done. I was talking to Alan Shearer and he got back from his surgery in 12 days, but hopefully coming back in eight days is a record.”

This is what Sam Allardyce had said about the situation yesterday:

“I don’t know whether two games in such a short space of time is right,”

“Michael isn’t qualified to do anything other than play football, so he can’t ignore the information he’s given by our highly-qualified medical staff and me as his manager.”

It looks like Michael wants to play and we know he loves representing his country and you can’t blame him for that. The media will try to blow this up out of all proportion of course. The only problem will be if Michael gets injured. Otherwise, everything in the garden will be rosy again if England can secure two wins, which will virtually qualify them for the finals next year.

Comments are welcome. Please keep them civil towards each other.  We all  have different ideas and opinions and have to be allowed to express them. What a concept.  Also, please keep the language decent. – many thanks.

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:07 AM

If that little rat gets injured while playing for England then I reckon the fans will NEVER forgive him! We see by the boos when he came on at the weekend that the fans are losing patience (although he quietened them in good fashion), and another injury would be the last straw.

I for one believe that if players are selected for their country and they want to play then clubs shouldnt stand in their way, however, Owen must understand the worries of his club (who pay his wages!), especially considering his track record.

I would probably be happy if he didnt play the first game (or perhaps had a late cameo), but played in the second – then everyone’s happy….ish! lol

• shearyadi

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:16 AM

We can’t blame Owen for his decision to play for his country, but it is Steve Mclaren that should not pushed him to play in full 90 minutes. Maybe make Owen play in one half, I believe he will scores no matter what, and after that he can be replaced to keep him fit.

I don’t think England qualification to EURO2008 job is only for one Michael Owen.

• Wrighty

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Calm down calm down…it just the typical southern stirring from the pathetic tabloids as they have got nothing to write about. Do not listen to them…why dont people learn and just ignore them.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Steely – are you sure the fans were booing Owen? My take on it was that they were booing Allardyce’s decision to take Oba off. Although, I wasn’t sure if Owen’s cupping his hand to his ear gesture after his goal was aimed at the Everton or Toon fans. Can anyone clear this up?

• Bill F

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Toon Chicken, agreed I thought it was Oba coming off which caused the upset. If Michael does play and he will at some point I think it would be better if he does make a real effort in the game, it’s often half hearted tackling etc that causes injuries. It would be a bu**er if he got injured but no one goes onto the pitch thinking or expecting to. Guess we would just have to grin and bear it again.

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Wrighty – I dont understand. What is it you think the papers are stirring? Owen has said that he will play if selected – which is the issue we’re talking about. The southern press have nothing to do with it. The argument is whether Owen should play for England so close to having an injury – taking his past record into account.

• havanaclue

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Im a first time caller , but always check this web site out a few times a day ..great job!
    Agree with you toon chicken , i thought the fans were booing big Sams decision to take Oba off
    Owen has always been known as bein selfish and arrogant ,and full of self belief ,but that is exactly what makes him a “World class ” goal scorer !! lets hope he doesnt get injured and he continues to score bag loads of goals for the Toon AND for England

cheers

• bowsie

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Owen’s comments are adding fuel to the media fire. He should take into account the Newcastle medical team’s assessment. Comments such as “I will listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about” are bound to cause controversy, and if they are not a direct challenge to Allardyce then they are very poorly chosen indeed.

Owen wants to play for England and that’s understandable, but he should look at the amount of England vs. Newcastle games he’s played (8 to 20 I think) since he’s been here. He has to appreciate Newcastle are ultra-cautious.

If Owen gets injured with England, for any reason, he’ll find it a very long road back to Tyneside.

• valle

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:42 AM

I have always liked Owen, but he is confirming what allot of people have said for a long time England is obviusly all that matters to him, and if he injuries himself in an England game so he cant play for Newcastle, then so be it as long as he is ready for the next England game… I find his comments that he will only listen to the surgeon very provocating and stubborn, as it is an obvius reply to Big Sams request that he paid attetion to his club medics, and in my mind he has pushed his luck way to far already getting himself injured for England 3 times in his short toon career… I agree with Steely, if he gets injured, hell will break lose and Owens to blame, no one can look after Owen as good as Owen and he dosnt do a very good job at that when England comes knocking!

• Jerry

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Just sell him!

• Wrighty

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Steely – Owen was asked whether he is fit to play for England by the media after the game. He said yes, as he had just come on and scored the winner for the toon, plus the surgeon also said yes. Of course he is going to say yes.
    All he has done is confirm the fact he can play 6 days after the Everton game if selected. And if he comes through unscathed he should also be available for Russia game….why wouldnt he be.
    The man is going to want to play in every game, who wouldnt want to play for their country. He isnt a medical man, the medical team at NUFC said play (he did) as did the surgeon.
    BSA obviously has concerns with Owen playing and rightly so, but unfortunatley he is fit, the game is 6 days after the Everton game and so it would be two weeks since surgery.

If you actually look at the comments, both have said its down to the medical team and BSA has just exercised caution from SM – it does not warrent the headlines being so bullish and sh*t-stirring …. as usual !!!

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I think it will be a very interesting TX window in the New Year. I dont think any of the big clubs will take a risk on him due to his prone-ness (is that a word?) to injury, but I certainly dont think he will commit to Newcastle either. He’s obviously not fussed about being a Newcastle player – but he really does owe us big time.

I’m just not too sure whether I would rather sell him and start afresh, or to persist with him at the risk of pushing Martins towards the door.

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:53 AM

As a side issue, does anyone know the status of this release clause in Owen’s contract?

I remember when he left the club that FFS said the clause had expired when the summer 07 TX window shut.

However, is it reactivated again in Summer 08??

I also vaguely remember the clause only being activated because we didnt qualify for Europe – will this be the case again?

Any answers Ed?

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Wrighty, fair enough. We cant always blame the southern press though – I can guarantee that I have seen the exact same story (and headlines) in at least 5 northern papers/websites.

It is big news – how can it not be with the history he has playing for England while a Newcastle player?! I totally understand that if he’s fit then he should play, but please take a minute to think about how you will feel if picks up another injury in either of the Intl matches and is out until Xmas? I for one would be absolutely fuming, and I think it would signal the end of his spell at Newcastle.
    He has to realise the sacrifice the club has made for him, and the support they have given him , and then perhaps repay the favour by at least not playing in the first Intl match.

• Graeme

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:03 AM

If he is fit, he plays, its as simple as that. His surgeon has said there will be no problems (according to MO) BSA has also said that if he is fit to play for NUFC then he is fit to play for England. End of story – at least this one, for now.

Michael is a striker, goal poacher of renown. That makes him a fairly selfish, ruthless player. He has to be, to do what he does and do it so well. Of course he wants to feature in EVERY game he can, he was complaining that BSA didnt start him on Sunday.

We as supporters just have to accept the facts. Was it any different with Shearer or even Supermac?? Of course it wasnt.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Steely – would you feel less aggrieved if he got injured playing for The Toon?

We can’t wrap him up in cotton-wool just because he has had a bad run of luck with injuries, and we certainly can’t stop any fit player from representing their national team when selected.

The England game will give him more minutes out on the pitch to regain some proper match fitness – which can only be a good thing for NUFC.

• Steely

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Too Chicken – would I feel more aggrieved if he got injured playing for Newcastle? Not a chance! But then I have full confidence that BSA wouldnt play him if there wasa doubt on his fitness, whereas McLaren will play Owen at any stage he can because he’s desperately trying to get through these qualifiers and not lose his job. He dont give a toss about Owen’s Newcastle career, whereas I – as a definite Club over country man – do!

• Aussie geordie

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Steely as if the crowd was booing Owen on?? They were booing the fact that Martins was coming off when everyone wants to see the two of them play together. I for one wanted Smith off at that point, he’s a liability late in the game.

As for Owen I see nothing wrong with him wanting to play each and every game for whoever will have him its the right attitude. What we need is a bit of personal respect shown for Sam by Steve Mclaren. Mclaren is a tosser who is so close to losing his own job he will do whatever it takes to ensure short term success so this is unlikely. If Mclaren would use Owen in the first game for 20 minutes the same way Sam did the other night I think that would show due care for Owen and we would all be happy. Presuming all is well after that a full start in the next game with a substitution middle of the second half. I think this would officially bring him back to full strength at least for another week or two anyway.

• ToonKing

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:13 AM

1) The fans were booing Oba on suday, cause ..frankly he deserved it.

2) As much as i like Owen i’m getting fed up with this England crap, McLaren is a tosser, and so is Owen for not seeing and doing what everybody wants him to do 🙂 , and Sam is a tosser to for not keeping Owen away from that dreadful England team.

But on the other hand we can’t allow Owen to leave, when he’s playing, even if half fit he’s still our best player and a different caliber then the entire team.
    Where would we be without Owen this season?? What had been the outcome at Wigan, Everton if there were no Owen ??
    Martins is not up for the job of replacing him, yet, but WE MUST, keep Owen no matter what, he will get us goals, goals get us points, points get us good table positions and that gets us titles.
    OWEN IS CRUCIAL TO THE TOON’s succes.!! fact

• Arthur Prince

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Trouble is that he knows how to score goals ! Oba misses too many chances at present . Thats the difference . You couldnt buy a Michael Owen for £15m . Darren Bent ?£17m Torres ?£25m shows the Lunacy of transfer fees at present . Ijust hope Michael’s fitness lasts for he will surely score goals for us . I am not sure what other club would take him now which gives him the high profile he clearly wants .

• Graeme

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM

If NUFC were in the same boat as England, ie only one true striker fit to play, would BSA risk playing him?? Of course he would. If Owen was injured last weekend, we still have Martins.

Owen looks after Owen and his own interests – one of the main ones is breaking Sir Bobby Charltons all time scoring record.

I will believe Owen has a long term future here when they announce his new contract, without the buy-out clause has been signed. Somehow, I dont think it will happen as I believe Owen still wants to play for one of the “Big 4”. If we can get £10 – 15 million for him, we should take it and buy Eto’o or someone of that stature to lead NUFC to Europe.

• Jerry

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:18 AM

If Michael Owen was playing for Benitez and Liverpool or Ferguson and Man U, you really think he would even dare come out with the comments he has?

The bottom line is he has no respect for Newcastle. He believes in his twisted mind that he is better than Newcastle.

JUST SELL HIM!

• ToonPipes

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Have to say that when we bought him couple of Liverpool fans at work insisted that all he cared about was England. I agree with comment above that his comments / choice of words are not good. If he is fine, then he should shut up and he will be picked by his relevant managers .. if he is not, then he should shut up and wait til he is better. If he comes out saying ‘i’m fine’ and ‘ready to play’ it makes me think he doesn’t know if he is, but that he is quite happy to take a chance … so in summary he should shadap and just do what he is told .. little tyke.

• Craig Allen

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I think context has a lot to do with statements esp those made to the press. You know how they love randomly attaching sensationalists contexts to baiting statements.

I think the problem (if any or if he returns injured) lies with McClaren for selecting him. Look, footballers are known to play through pain. They just want to play. Can we blame them? It’s their living. I was watching a local game and one player was concussed, when he came to he shook his head as if saying he wants to continue. When he stood up, his legs were jelly. Players will always want to play. It’s up to the England staff to make proper medical assessments on their players before thinking of their own hides. McClaren is under pressure. Under enormous pressure to deliver. He seems the type to do whatever it takes to save his a$$.

I think the criticism toward Michael is just bad. Bad for Newcastle. Bad for Michael. It’s a lose lose situation, folks. We have to back Owen. He delivers. I for one will never boo him. Even if he decides to leave. I respect quality and the effort he’s put in to play through pain and to get stuck in after the operation. You can see he’s hungry. Let’s use that to our benefit.

All of these points are moot if he comes back injured. I’ll personally toss a few eggs at McClaren whenever I see him. But I won’t blame Michael.

• Rich

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:06 PM

I wouldnt want to see Owen leave no way, thing is if we sell him and say get 10 million for him who are going to buy to replace him realistically? Gudjohnsen, getting on a bit and not going to get us enough goals, someone mentioned eto way too much money? Any suggestions? i think Defoes decent but noot good enough for Spurs then not for us either in simple terms.

• ToonPipes

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:03 PM

We cannit get rid of him! .. hes the best finisher in the country! .. look at Oba, who everyone knows is unblvlbly talented but you cannit call him a footballer yet – he doesnt know what runs to make, he doesnt know the right positions to go into, he doesnt know when to dribble or when to shoot .. i would concede that he can run faster than owen, he has a harder shot than owen, he has more dribbling skills than owen, he can jump higher than owen, but he is NO WEHRE near as good at playing the game. When Owen came on, he took Everton apart with his movement and we scored 2 goals in 15 mins with him on the pitch .. ok, Emre had a hand in them, but fact is, who else would you want .. ?? .. nee one .. infact looking at the league, i would say Torres only ..

• ToonPipes

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Sorry contradicted myself a little at the end there .. hope my point clear nevertheless .. !

• Marguerite

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I think it is time we faced the fact that Owen will only stay with us if none of the top 4 come calling. He has no loyalty to us whatsoever. As I understand it his clause will ressurect itself next summer (if we are again not in Europe) but his price will have dropped by £1m. It will close again on 31/7. – A win win situation for him. Don’t get me wrong he is a great player and will score goals for us whenever he is fit, but please do not expect any loyalty to us from him, he is incapable of giving that to us.

Whilst I love Oba, he is nowhere near the finished article yet and I seriously think we should be looking for an Owen replacement next summer.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Marguerite – I’m struggling to think of a single occasion since Michael Owen signed for us where he has been disloyal. Surely you can’t be counting getting injured playing for England as an act of disloyalty to his club? If he was that disloyal would he not have saved himself from risking injury against Everton and then given SM a cheeky nod and a wink to pick him for the qualifiers?

• valle

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Barton telling Owen how it should be?

“But the thing I have to do first and foremost is to do what I have been bought to do and that is play good football for Newcastle.

“If England comes then so be it, but I have played for them once now and that’ll do for me. I am more interested in winning domestic honours.

“This is my bread and butter and at the minute, hand on heart I would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England.”

• valle

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Toon Chicken:… As i remember it, Roeder was telling the press pretty clearly that Owen wasnt fit before he went with England and he didnt even play a full 90 minutes for us before he went… The injury he got was another than the one he had but if a player takes the field being 70-80% then the chances of further injuries are great.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I’m not disputing that, valle. But I don’t see how doing everything humanly possible to represent your country at the World Cup is in anyway being disloyal to your club. What would you, or anyone else here do in his situation given the chance – sit at home with Shola and play Pro Evo – I somehow doubt it.

Wayne Rooney did a similar thing but I don’t remember any Man Utd fans calling for his head. I seem to remember Salex wasn’t too happy, but we all know ho he feels about his boys playing for England!

• valle

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Well, ur asking what i would do and the answer to your question is that i would ONLY play if was in a condition to do so without risking further damage… Owen has a responsibility to the people that pay his paychecks and those that support him every weekend and to make this a case of what he would do or feel like doing is wrong since you then accept his lack of thought for the club who also need him.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, valle my friend.

• yemozone

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:52 PM

too bad we didn’t sign darren bent.Would have been a good plyer in nu

• valle

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Alright be me, cheers then 😉

• Hammy

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Toon Chicken and Valle……a very sporting end to a discussion..Bravo

• yemozone

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM

jerry i support u.lets just sell him

• Marguerite

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Toon Chicken – No I was referring more to the fact that he would not come
    out openly and commit himself to Newcastle this summer until after it was
    patently obvious none of the big four were interested in buying him. In my books with the little amount of actual games he had played for us (albeit not his fault and through injury) he did owe us that amount of loyalty to state he would definitely be staying with us.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love him to stay and play for us, he is an out and out goal scorer; I would love him to have that sort of loyalty to want to play for Newcastle, I just do not think he has.

I would be the first one to hold my hands up an apologise if I am proved wrong, unfortunately I do not think I will be.

• perry

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:55 AM

I will never forgive Owen & Mclaren if Owen get injured while playing for England.