Give Michael Owen a Break

Michael Owen has shown his obvious frustration at all the media hype over his injury and whether he is fit or not.

It finally seems to have finally gotten to him.

You’ve got to give Michael credit for working his way back so quickly and with tremendous effort to get fit for Newcastle’s game with Everton last Sunday. That effort wasn’t wasted as he scored what tuned out to be the winner, when Given scored an embarrassing own goal with only a couple minutes left of added time.

Let’s see what Michael has been saying.

michael-owen-8597.jpg

Michael Owen – give the lad a break, he’s worked his tail off to get fit

Michael was speaking at England’s Watford training headquarters ahead of Saturday’s European Championship qualifier against Estonia at Wembley.

Here’s what Michael had to say when asked if he was only interested in playing for England:

“If I was only interested in playing for England, I would not have busted a gut to get myself fit and be available for Newcastle’s game with Everton last Sunday.”

“I cannot fathom any of the debate that is going on.”“The injury is no longer. I flew to Munich on Thursday, had the operation on Friday and came back on the Saturday.”

“I was walking on Sunday, jogging on Monday and did everything; sprints, blasting balls on Thursday. I trained with the team on Friday and Saturday and was available for Sunday.”

“The specialist who carried out the operation in Munich has said exactly what happened and how long my recovery time would be.” “Yet, somewhere along the line, everyone seems to have gone the opposite way and started questioning the surgeon.”

“I find it very strange that people question a specialist who has done thousands of operations before, who is saying you could be back in a matter of a few days. That is exactly what has happened.”

“I would play in any game; for Newcastle or England and I thought pushing myself to get back on Sunday the way I did would have dispelled any thoughts that I was just trying to get myself right for England.”

“Obviously Joey has to get back in the Newcastle team and perform well.” “I am sure if he gets called up for England, he won’t be saying that.”

Newcastle fans are understandably worried about the situation. Having just watched the Newcastle-Everton game for a third time, he looked great in the last 15 minutes and it was an excellent headed goal he scored after 90 minutes. Much better than it first appears. He also looked sharp and had another very good shot just wide.

Seems to us that Michael is ready to produce the goods for Newcastle, belatedly though it is – but through no fault of his own. . We may see what’s in store for Newcastle when Michael gets going for England on Saturday.

Michael been injured a lot and taken lots of criticism but we think that’s mainly been the media’s making – let’s just give the lad a break. 10 goals in 21 appearances isn’t too bad. Just think how many he’ll score in 100 appearances   😀

• Stevey

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Big fan of the website, Ed.

I have to say that I completely agree. I think that Owen has a big role to play in the coming season and fans should do their best to get behind him.

I think if the negative feedback continues, where fans are constantly harping on Owen about the perception that he has a foot out the door or is focused more on England qualifiers, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy by creating an environment that no football player would want to endure.

But I don’t think it will come to that, as Owen will demonstrate his class for both club and country. Maybe I’m not as cynical as some of my fellow fans

• Lamesley Mag

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Owen came back with a goal against Everton and we’re confident McLaren will look after him for Saturday’s game against Estonia as it’s more important he’s 100% ready for the Russia game.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Stevey – I watched the Newcastle Everton game again this morning – we were a lot better than I first thought – there’s just a stack of potential in the players Sam has acquired – like the back 4 will become better with every game. As I said in the piece, Michael looked like the Owen of old – he’s about to explode for our club. We may surprise people this season if the new players can settle in asap.

• Graeme

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Ed, on what basis do you believe Owen will play 100 games for Newcastle??

Unless there is some news to announce his new contract, with the “get out” clause removed, I maintain he is here for the money and little else. He didn’t want to come here in the first place, but we were the only team prepared to pay the ridiculous fee and match the wages he demanded. HE had the “buy out” clause inserted, for his own benefit, not Newcastle’s.

The first chance he gets, to move to one of his “Favoured” clubs, then he will be off like one of his race horses. He is a mercenary, here for what he can get for Michael Owen – I will be delighted to be proved wrong, but doubt that I will be.

• Lull

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:28 PM

As bad as it looks from outside (not Michael Owen’s) view, it’s logical for most of Toon fans to think that Owen is getting fit for England but not Newcastle. But we can’t know that for a fact because the real answer is only rest up to Owen’s intention. If he really meant what he said and that is a fact his intention (to get fit for Newcastle & England, not just England) , I’d say ‘thank you very much’ and if not, …*sigh*

I think we shouldn’t think much about this, just another media stir up. Let wish him do well, score goals for England and be back with us fitter and injury-free 🙂

P/S : Can’t wait for Mackem match 🙂

• Mighty Mouse

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Thank you Ed for doing your part. We need a positive media storm following our team this season. We have always been the target of the media and it has affected us. Owen is class, pure and simple. I think a lot of these negative media rumebllings are from disgruntled and jealous fans of other teams. Why would anyone in Newcastle want to upset Owen? makes no sense. On the other hand if your tottenham, sitting close to bottom of league, having to watch your own 17 M pound stricker not travelling with your team you might want to start throwing mud.

Keep it up Ed.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Graeme – if he doesn’t renew his contract it will be close. But if we qualify for Europe next year we’ll have 55 games if we do well – then there’s 30 left this year and he’s made 21 appearances….so possible.
    But my reason for the comment was that he could get 50 goals for us in those 100 outings – we’ll see within next year whether he wants to stay at Newcastle – I think so…I hope so.

• Geordie joe

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:28 PM

It is blatently obvious that the situation is no where near as bad as it is made out. As per usual it is ths media who want to stir things up, They don’t want owen at newcastle. They want him at one of the top 4 clubs. Did anyone see the sun the other day. The headline read, Owen: Shut up sam. This is just an example of how the papers think and there choice of words. The just print lies to make money.

P.S. Ian Wright went down in my estimations the other day with his views on the situation.

• AlexW

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Theres only one thing which owen needs to do, and that is get another contract signed because i can see Michael hitting some big form in a few month and everyone will be after him…….so lets get his loyalties down on paper and make me a happy fan 😀

• Hulio Geordio

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Owen is interested in one person, Owen.

Newcastle is simply a stepping stone. He has absolutely no interest in Newcastle long term. England comes 1st. He bust a gut to make Everton to try and prove he was fit for England. It was not done for the sake of NUFC.

The sooner the summer transfer window opens and we get rid of the guy the better. I’d prefer someone who doesn’t get injured all the time, doesn’t cost a fortune and has the clubs interest at heart. The guy has had a careerful of injuries, and got paid good money simply because he does the business for England. I will be pleased to see the back of him. I’d rather see Oba be given the chance to develop he has more of a future than the likes of Owen. Owen will be injured again before xmas, mark my words.

At least Barton has the bottle to tell it as it is!!! All of the England misfits have had years to win something at International level yet they’re still a set of losers that milk their clubs dry cos they get capped. Yes the likes of Fedinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen et al! Superstars, not likely they couldn’t even lace the boots of the likes of Milburn, Best, MacDonald, etc. Losers all of them. Englands finest yeah right. Sven spent years with them and yet they won nothing, yet he’s assembled and revitalised a Man City side in weeks, says it all doesnt it.

• leo

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:59 PM

worked his tail off haha, imagine if the doctor had sneezed during the operation, then he really would have worked his tail off… litrally.

• dan

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:35 AM

Hulio Geordio – shut the hell up!
    The guy has given his all every time he has been on the pitch….why all the bad feelings towards a guy who keeps his mouth shut and gets on with his football in a very professional manner!?

You should stop thinking you know everything about the guy and just concentrate on what he does when he’s on the pitch. The injuries he has had have been really bad luck.

• evil dick

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:47 AM

i’m so bored of the Owen debate. We all love him when he’s scoring for club and country. Like Ed said give the lad a break! What does he actually have to do? He scores nearly every game he plays, and now it looks like he’s fit. Owen could be a legend for the toon, let’s support him. I’m proud to have englands sriker playing for us.

• dan