Owen-Allardyce Rift is Media Made

Media reports this morning claim that Sam Allardyce and Michael Owen are having some problems in their working relationship. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

The reports suggest Sam got into Michael’s bad books last June when Sam thought England should forget about Owen during last year’s world cup, because he just wasn’t fit.

michael-owen-confused.jpg

Michael Owen – what’s all the fuss about?

Seems to us that Sam was perfectly accurate in that assessment last summer given what happened to Owen against Sweden. The news that Owen and Allardyce are at odds is nonsense and that’s just the media being mischievous again, trying to cause problems where there aren’t any.

The rumors also cite Michael’s failure to commit to the club until the last possible moment last summer when there was continual speculation that he might transfer, via the release clause, to one of the top 4 clubs. The other things cited in these mischevous new stories is the booing that occurred when Oba was substituted for Owen on Sunday. Then when Owen hit what turned out to be the winner against Everton in the 90th minute, Michael cocked his ear to the crowd, as if to say where’s the booing now.

Newcastle fans believe his first loyalty should be to the Tyneside club and not to England. But Owen just loves representing his country, just like Shay Given loves playing for Ireland whenever he can, because he’s also proud of representing his country. You cannot blame players for that surely.

Sam Allardyce moved quickly to deny these rumors, since any rift in the camp is the last thing Newcastle need right now. Sam said this afternoon:

“It’s just people trying to get between myself and Michael,”

“The same has happened with Steven Gerrard and Rafa Benitez at Liverpool earlier this year – it’s a common theme during the international breaks.”

“For me as manager, I have 14 players away on international duty representing their countries, and for each and every one of them, all I can do is keep my fingers crossed they come back fit and well.”

One of the things that will stand Newcastle in very good stead this season is the team spirit and camaraderie, with everyone in the squad supporting each other. You could see that clearly in Sunday’s win against Everton, who are a very determined side themselves. The character, guts and team spirit of Newcastle clawed out a victory against a very resourceful Everton side in the second half.

Rifts between players, and between manager and player, will not be allowed in Big Sam’s squad, that’s a certainty. But it will not stop the media from trying again and again to manufacture rifts, which they have always done in the past.

• Lull

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Ed, Owen’s cocked his ear, did he rifled it to us or the Toffees ?

• Bill F

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Ed, Ditto my comment in the earlier Pearce/Barton blog, seems like you are digging over the same patch again.

• Hammy

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:07 PM

If reporters reported the truth, chances are the newspapers would stay on the shelves.
    Look at the rubbish at the beeb where they did the documentry on the Queen…… all those crappy phone in’s where you have no chance of winning..
    even Blue Peter have been fleecing the kids…(I’m not watching that again)
    I wouldn’t even be sure of “live” interviews….who knows what has been edited.
    In a nutshell media is 99% bullshit with a 1% truthful aspect.
    It’s just finding out which bit is true.

I hate these International breaks.

• Geordie joe

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:34 PM

I was there on sunday and people were not booing owen at all. They were booing the decision to take martins off.
    P.S. Ian wright went right down in my estimations with his opinions on the situation in the sun the other day.

• alex pendle

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Owen is a quality player, i really believe that Big Sam would not risk falling out with newcastle’s record signing, and hes scored a few goaals already.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:22 PM

The existence of god will be proved & hell will freeze over before the ‘spin machine’ that is the media stops churning out poisoned shite about NUFC!..
    ..Personally, i even refuse chips wrapped in newspaper!..Phuck ’em!..
    Y’never know, england might get knocked out of the euro championships then ‘sheeps teeth’ will take all the flak. Aw yea, then i guess they’ll push for Sam as the england coach?..Bollox!..It’s a never ending stream of shite!..
    …AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!..

• wrighty

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Ed, great website……buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut….
    yesterday you seemed to be coming from a completely different angle on the whole ‘Owen’ issue and now you seem to have swung it completely the other way. You stoked the forum up by reporting ‘Owen and Allardyce Not On Same Wavelength’ post (having since changed the text which I dont blame you for doing) and wasting your own time by publisising pointless articles from the back pages of ridiculous tabloids (as I mentioned yesterday).

That since started a whole debate (40 comments) on whether Owen should play for England or not as if our opinion will matter.
    I realise that it is a forum for discussion and healthy debate but shouldnt we be discussing positive NUFC issues and not ridiculous promts from geeky journo’s just looking for a story who have probably never ever kicked a footy or understand what it’s like to be selected for a representative team nevermind the national one!!!!
    The same paper has reported a similar headline today saying something equally controversial….with no quotes or facts….apart from ‘a close source’…well quite frankly when paper’s write that they just make it up to cover their ar$e and SELL PAPER’S !!

I see you didnt report that article…(probably because you didnt want to provoke comments that you received yesterday like…’sell owen’, ‘owen was booed off on sunday’, ‘I will never forgive Owen if he gets injured for England’)

Keep up the good work Ed but excersise a bit of caution on what you publish as your site is rightly read by a lot of people nowadays and we could do without giving the rest of the nation an excuse to have a giggle at us AGAIN !!!

• Dingo

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Wrighty…… a lengthy post indeed. Did you read this bit???

“It looks like Michael wants to play and we know he loves representing his country and you can’t blame him for that. The media will try to blow this up out of all proportion of course. The only problem will be if Michael gets injured. Otherwise, everything in the garden will be rosy again if England can secure two wins, which will virtually qualify them for the finals next year.”

please pay special attention to the “The media will try to blow this up out of all proportion of course” . Also if you read carefully you will see that the headline of ‘Owen and Allardyce Not On Same Wavelength’ has not been changed at all and is still there with the 40 comments underneath it. I have the feeling that something is missing from the headline though…. its a question mark at the end… with this in place it would have read ‘Owen and Allardyce Not On Same Wavelength ?’ and produced a debate in EXACTLY the same vein as the 40 posts that exist.

I have visited this website since the start of the summer and now use it as first point of call for my NUFC news. Ed does a grand job in my opinion, far better than your detective powers it seems. I am sure you think you can do better and if so grand….. but give Ed a break please. it would take someone far less intelligent than you to realise that this site reports on the news of the day from many sources with a objective slant and that is why we are here. If you don’t like it I can give you Alan Olivers email address if you want to get the real gen! 😛

In short I wanted to hear about the news of the day… all sources reported the Sam Owen rift story and we debated it. I think that you, rather than Ed has wasted his time publishing pointless posts from ridiculous view points.

(I am not wanting to get into a slagging match with ya, just sticking up for mr.Ed who takes far more time than any of us “posters” to keep this site up n running Also Ed lives in the states and this site it up to date even with the time difference…. *tips his hat*)

• leo

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:42 PM

yep. ed the leg’end’ i say
    also my first port of call for nufc news.

what did wrighty say??? missed it…

• lee

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:57 AM

Ed, we should not get too worried about this whole thing. Michael Owen burst into the football stardom through his superb 1998 World Cup goal against one of the favourites, Argentina. For a teenager to have done that, he was in instant media spotlight. Owen handled this attention by deciding to be England’s Golden Boy, and he has every right to do so. Until now, he wants to live up to this reputation he has created in 1998, and I am sure sometimes it is very streesful for Owen. So, the best thing is to understand him. Owen wants to play for Newcastle too, because he realises that club football is very important to maintain his England place. And Newcastle is not the only club he has problems with, he had problems with Real Madrid for not playing him often enough, and he also said himself that during his Liverpool days, he often had to prove his club loyalty to Liverpool fans, and he did this by helping Liverpool to win the treble in 2001. Just relax everyone, Owen will one day prove that he is worth every adulation the Geordie nation gives him…. by helping us to win one or two trophies. Watch this space.

• Eran

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:04 AM

“Newcastle United have raided Le Havre for a second top kid.

After the success of Charles N’Zogbia, the Toon have snapped up Wesley Ngo Baheng, 18, from the French second division club.

The player will arrive in January after the clubs agreed a compensation package.”

Ed what can you find out about this?

• Ed Harrison

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Eran – yes will do

• wrighty

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Dingo – I also agree I do not want to get into mud slanging as my whole point of the email is we should stick together, but we all are entitled to our opinions, but, consider these…:
    1. I was having a go at the tabloids and people actually taking them as ‘the truth’
    2. I complimented Ed several times (rightly so, great website & committment and a refreshing summary of everything NUFC…fantastic)
    3. The content of the email WAS changed so it doesn’t read the same now and my post is now out of context, I wouldnt have posted if it read as it does is now
    4. The SUN ran a similar post yesterday and Ed didnt publish that, seems he has disregarded it for the cr4p that it is.
    5. Dingo I won’t comment on remarks you made about me (I know in the support of Ed so no offence taken honestly), but I suggest you READ my post again and when you understand what the point was of it then comment further….if ‘ya’ want too.

• bowsie

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:15 AM

…but it’s not all media made. Sam quite obviously does not want Michael to play both games. It’s been blown-up, sure, but there is a difference of opinion between Michael and Sam. If there wasn’t, why hasn’t Sam moved to support Michael’s view?

• Dingo

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:58 PM

nah ill not bother I have said my bit…. didnt mean to offend ya so glad you didnt take it that way.