Jose Enrique Looks the Real Deal

Jose Enrique has been talking to nufc.co.uk and he seems to have settled down nicely in Newcastle.

He says he already likes the City of Newcastle and of course pays a compliment to Newcastle’s fantastic fan following.

Jose looked really good on Sunday against Everton and we think he may well be the real deal as Sam has said before. Let’s take a look at what the 21 year-old Spaniard told the official web-site.

jose-enrique-in-play.JPG

Jose Enrique – the bull loves it at Newcastle and looks the real deal

The £6.3M summer buy from Villarreal told nufc.co.uk.

“I had a slight injury after I joined but now I am 100% fit and in perfect condition,” “I enjoyed the game against Everton and the Newcastle fans are amazing.”“I played at St.James’ Park for Villarreal last year and I always knew it was a special place to play.”

“I think we will be very strong at home this season and the three points against Everton were very important because of the international break.” “I love the city of Newcastle already and I’m enjoying my time here.”

“Now I am fit I want to stay in the team and show the fans what I can do.”

Jose is a very physical player who looks good in the tackle and is only too willing to move forward. For his first start in the back four for a league game it was a really pleasing performance last Sunday. But the whole of the back four of Beye Faye Cacapa and Jose looked excellent. The only thing missing was good communication which will come with games. This defense is going to be awesome in 2 months and we also have Taylor and Rozehnal on the sidelines.

Two months time should see us up there with the leaders, and 3 points in the next game against Tottenham will help us greatly in that endeavor.

• Bill F

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:09 AM

I find it amazing to see Roz. being mentioned as a bench sitter along with Taylor. Just hope he is happy with this possibility.

• George

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Jose Enrique without a shadow of doubt, for me, is the best left back we have had for as long as i can remember.
    He seems to glide through a game with little effort and considering he is quite a big lad that is not easy.
    He has slotted in to his position well, backs up the winger, is pacey, can tackle and he certainly compliments the others at the back. We now have a back four of talented, big imposing players who are not afraid to tackle and players who have a bit of flare about them. Im happy with that.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:18 AM

BSA has said from the outset that he would first look to shore up the defence, and from where i’m standing he looks to have done a very good job.

Rozenhal is a solid, dependable, no-nonsense sort of player, and is fast becoming my new favourite player now that Nobby has left.

Cacapa is class personified – enough said.

Beye has made a great start and looks like he can only get better once he get’s used to the pace of the Premier League.

Enrique – I watched him at the Emirates and thought his tackling and work-rate was outstanding – has the makings of a world class fullback IMO.

Add to that Faye who looks superb in both defensive midfield and the centre of defence. Taylor – an exciting prospect. AND N’Zogbia – a player who has proved to be a more than competent wing back.

PLUS the likes of young Ramage and Edgar.

All we need to do know is find suitable replacements for Carr and Babayaro.

I know a lot of people have been getting frustrating with BSA negative tactics and some lack-lustre performances, but I think you can really see what he’s trying to do here. And to be fair to him he’s only had a few months and looks to have made massive inroads already. I’m guessing his next priority will be to bring some real flair and attacking talent to the side – whether that happens in January or next summer I’m not sure. All I do know is that things are slowly starting to change for the better and St. James’ and I’m really excited to see what the future holds.

WOW – how great it feels to talk about something besides Michael Owen. Thank you Ed! 🙂

• shaun D

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:31 AM

We’ve conceeded 5 goals in the last 2 games!!- Agree with the points though!

• richupindisbiatch

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:41 AM

wot do you mean the defence is gonna be great in 2 months time lol u hope its gonna be great and to be honest wiv ya man it did’t look dat gd on sunday 4 the everton goal and we did av the od shaky moment n hopefully they will cut down on it n yeh jose looks a gd player at the moment but ya can’t tell the future man he cud be a marcelino lol but i very much dought it only time will tell

• Jerry

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Am not a fan of Allardyce when it comes to his style of football, but I have to say I am mightily impressed with the defence he’s put together.

Excellent job!

• Dimitri

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, I have not been able to watch mathces recently so cannot comment on what I have seen 🙂

What I do know is that there is a lot of promise in the new defense that we have. From what I have read it is Cacapa who should fly the flag for us in Defense. Next to him maybe Rozehnal, who can really become one of the best defenders in England I feel?!

Then on the RB and LF positions, well it would have to be Beye and Enrique. That is what they were bought for init? And there aren’t really any other natural ones in that position right now aside from the rubbish Babayaro and Not so great Carr (please offload them Big Sam…)

In Faye and Taylor we have excellent cover for both central positions and if need be the LB and RB positions too (Taylor has proven to be a champion to fill in gaps that are needed).

And then ofcourse we have young N’Zogbia and Geremi that can also play roles in the back.

Now lets get used to playing together and making it solid, because as has been rightly pointed out… we have been leaking quite a few goals still after a solid start at the back

• Nathan

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:15 PM

I was impressed with José, think he will be a real asset to our club, you can see why the Spanish press were bemused that Villarreal let him go

he’s fast, he’s intelligent, he is determined and he can get forward if we need him too

Finally! A proper left back!

Him alongside Rozehnal, Cacapa/Taylor/Faye, Beye is really a quality defence

• StevieA

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Allardyce is saying that he wanted to rest Rozenhal so that he can go away refreshed. Also his wife gave birth last week so he is probably giving him some time to enjoy that and then get back to work.

I think Rozenhal will be a better player for it and will have time to prepare himself mentally to come back into the team.

The defence will only get better with time. Sam has already mentioned he is trying to get Emre fitter & stronger than he has every been, so hopefully Emre and an improving N’zogbia, and a fresh Barton can really push us forward for the rest of the season. We are missing the creativity and bite we would get from a fully fit Barton & Emre I think.

• leo

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

and duff, may be ready for a bench start for the spurs game… wow it feels good reading about how good we are looking i cant wait till the international break is over like.

anyone notice how cool and collected rozehnal was when he came on as a sub…. he just became a dad….. takes nuts of steel to do that…

• steve

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Rozenhal is a class player – him and Cacapa look very promising as a pairing, Beye’s been at fault for a couple of the goals recently but reckon he can only get better, Jose at fault for 1st Everton goal but agree with everyone else – he had Arteta in his pocket for most of the game – Faye and Taylor as backup or we could push Faye into midfield which is his preferred position anyway – heres hoping JB can add the creativity we desperately need in midfield

• w2

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Too bad we don’t have many games this season.

• PaulTheMag

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Steve, if you noticed, Evertons first goal was created down the right, and both central defenders were pulled across to the near post. Enrique was covering across. There is no way he was responsible for that goal at all. He was superb throughout, and
    Arteta switched to the right to get away from him. Sam has unearthed an absolute gem, and at 21 as well. He will follow Fabregas into the Spanish team in a couple of years, and he will take some shifting. Well done Jose and well done Sam.

• PaulTheMag

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:09 PM

Can I just mention an unsung hero in Nicky Butt, who had a great game, scored a fabulous goal, and is probably playing his best football since he joined us. Barton will be his legs when he is fit, and will prolong his career.

• SingKing

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:08 AM

w2. fair point. we finally have a squad that could meet the demands of a european campaign and no european games. need a good cup run to give this lot some exercise.