Ameobi – The Forgotten Man at Newcastle

Shola Ameobi, almost the forgotten man at Newcastle these days, has been talking about his injury and the fact that he wants to impress manager Sam Allardyce at Newcastle.

But we think Shola is almost on borrowed time and has to quickly establish himself at Newcastle, before the end of the year.

But as Shola admits, it’s hard to do that when you are injured.

shola-ameobi-98.jpg

Shola Ameobi – the forgotten man at Newcastle

Shola was speaking at Durham’s Gilesgate Sports College, where he presented Derrick Gurney, Durham County’s chairman, with his Umbro Football Hero award.

Ameobi said:

“Playing football is the most important thing for me and I’ve got to be doing that, whether it’s here or somewhere else,” “If I’m not playing here, it (changing club) might have to be something I look at because I need football.”

“That hasn’t changed and it’s something I’ll deal with if and when the time comes. I’m focused on being the best I can be, but I can’t do that if I’m not playing.”

“It’s not the best scenario, but if it ever came to it, I would have to make a big decision. But I still believe that I can help this club achieve what it wants to. You have to believe. If I wasn’t good enough, I wouldn’t be here.”

We think Shola has to make an impact soon at Newcastle or he’s in danger of being moved on by Big Sam. We need another big striker to share the work with Mark Viduka, and Shola must take his chance soon. There is news that Sam may be interested in Nicholas Anelka at Bolton, and of course Anelka would just jump at the chance of joining the Newcastle revolution under Allardyce which is going on right now at the club. Ameobi made his senior debut a full 7 years ago yet the former England Under-21 international is still striving for recognition as a first teamer at the club.

Shola continued:

“I’ve taken stick over the years, but it has never got me down,” “I’ve kept on going, kept on battling, and it will be no different this time. I see this as a challenge. We all face challenges and this is something I’m going to fight for. “

“We’ve got great strength in depth, it (the club’s striking department) is perhaps the strongest it has been while I’ve been at the club, although I don’t think there can be stiffer competition than challenging Alan Shearer for a place.”

“I’ve had to endure that and I’ll take anything on because I believe in myself, that has never been a problem. I just hope that when I’m fit I can go out and demonstrate what I can do.”

Ameobi’s only start this season was in Newcastle’s worst performance of the season at Pride Park, when we were beaten 1-0 by Derby County, who were at that time bottom of the league. Ameobi wasn’t the only one to play poorly that night, but he did look terrible in all honesty.

Shola has been out with an injured groin, picked up during last month’s Carling Cup defeat at Arsenal. Shola has had lots of problems over the last 12 months that include a hip operation at the famed Steadman Hawkins clinic in Colorado, and recent events have hardly been helpful to Shola, with his groin injury and poor form.

Shola continued:

“It has been a frustrating start to the season,” “It has really affected my confidence and, as a striker, you live on confidence. The fact that I’m injured – given what happened last season – is hard to take. It’s not the best, it’s not what I wanted.”

“The timing is bad given that the manager has just come in because I want to impress him, demonstrate what I can do, and I haven’t been able to do that. I just have to make sure that when I’m fit again, I do it. I will give it everything I’ve got and I hope I get a chance to prove a point.”

“I need to be playing football. I’m almost 26 and I feel I’ve been given a lifeline with the (hip) operation. I have to do myself justice by playing and by playing regularly.”

Shola is due to be back in full training from his groin injury on 22nd October along with Viduka, Babayaro and Carr. He’ll have to press on and try to establish himself before the end of the year, because it wouldn’t surprise us at all if Sam brings another big man into the squad during the January transfer window. Of course we also have the option at that time of bringing 6’3″ Andy Carroll back from his loan spell at Preston.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Time to make like a tree, Shola.

And judging from recent performances (ball bouncing off you, non existent movement) you should be pretty good at that!

• bowsie

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:54 AM

A first division club beckons I’m afraid…

• Hog

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Get him out!!

• TOONNUTTER

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Well I hope Shola has a good birthday today

26, wish I was that young again.

But at 26 is he going to play for anyone better or be in a better squad than he already is in.

If he wants to play football he is going to have to look down the league or leagues for that matter.

But nice person and I for one wish him the best in what he does

• Rich

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:01 AM

All the best shola, but its the championship or a premiership struggler im afraid that beckons!

• jiM Baker

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:04 AM

We all know that Shola isn’t the greatest Premiership player and that he gets alot of stick from many fans, but i don’t mind him being a squad player, he loves the club and theres no doubting that. I watched him in our preseason friendlies, he was the best player against the likes of Hartleypool and Newcastle Blue star and in both games he was playing with our so called star men.
    However I do think it may be time for him to move on to pastures new, I reckon he’d shine in the Championship.

• gjdevon

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Bye shola, Great bloke, poor footballer (when it matters) not sure ho he`s lasted so long at the toon but hey ho !
    Wish you luck wherever you go ,but i still wish we`d kept chopra and sold you !

• StevieA

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM

He should have been a lot better but since the glorious european days (when he went on a scoring run) he’s just had too many injuries. I think the injuries haven’t helped him one bit because I recall he used to be much quicker and stronger than he is now. He also had quite a bit of skill when he was in his early 20’s.

It’s a shame because he had the potential to play for England. He is a lot like Heskey I think he will have a good spell but it will be elsewhere where he doesn’t have pressure on his shoulders. I think it’s time we sold him or loaned him out.

We need to aim higher now.

• Hammy

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Who we on about…

• Toon Chicken

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Sell him, get that Afonso Alves (think that’s his name) seen him on Sky Sports News t’other day – he scored 7 goals in his first game for Heerenven, a hat-trick in each half, before being subbed. Nay bad.

• ssdd

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM

he needs to move into a championship team
    and replace him with Anelka=)

oh ya, Happie birthday Ameobi
    i like you but not when you are playing

• Craig Allen

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:16 PM

I think Shola will be a great asset to Clarke, who I’m sure will start him every game …. well …. most, … well maybe not most, … more like some … or lets say a fair share and leave it at that.

A gentleman nontheless – good manners.

• Bill F

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Toonnutter, 26 yeah I remember that too, but Sheila Ameoba, hm it rings a bell

• Bill F

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:22 PM

She’s not one of those presenters that Hammy is lusting after is she?

• ToonKing

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Hmmm Anelka or Shola ……..darn, this is a tough one ……..Anelka or Shola…………………………………………………………………………………..
    …………………………………………………………………………………………….

TAXI FOR SHOLA!!!!!!!

• true

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM

We should have kept Rossi, he is banging them in for fun, the obne at the weekend was a belter.
    Shola will be good in the championship, a good buy for the maccums

• leo

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:30 PM

haha a mackam he go goes.

anelka wins hands down easy choice, if we could get him, we would be soo much stronger. because he is a big man, yet has pace, and knows how to use it, positioning is great and shooting… come on sam get the one player from ur old club we really want, kevin davis wouldnt be a bad buy either, if we got rid of ameobi

• George

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM

The forgotten man eh. Thats the way it should stay. He is crap and when he is fit he fails to give it 50% never mind 100%. Let him go to whoever thinks anything of him. Try Hartlepool as i think that is about his grade.
    Another thing we have Shola`s younger brother on the books, has anyone see him play Ugh. How anyone can say he is good is beyond me, let him go with his brother.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM

George – didn’t the younger Ameobi move to Leeds?

• Andy C

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Oh my god, is that a thinly disguised threat to leave from Shola, is it christmas already!

That interview was full of excuses. Well heres an excuse for you Shola – your absolutely useless, lazy and good for nothing – is that an excuse or a reason, im not sure?? – and as for your new hip, judging by your performance against Derby they must have fitted you up with my Grannies old one.

I for one will be dancing in the streets when Shola has gone. Waste of a number. If I wanted to pay to see 11 ‘nice blokes’ play id go and watch the bowls at Saltwell Park.

• Keep Oba

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I only want to see Shola come on in the 76th minute when Newcastle are winning by 3 goals.

• Andreas

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Bye bye Shola (I hope)- good luck where ever you end up.

@Toon Chicken, Afonso Alves didn’t play his first game for Heerenven, he actuall joined them June 2006 and ended as Hollands top scorer in his first season (narrowly missed out on the Golden Boot btw). He’s a good player and wouldn’t mind him at NUFC.

• StevieA

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Southgate made a last minute bid for Shola towards the end of the last transfer window and Sam turned it down. I think mainly because he wanted to see what Shola could do.

I don’t think Sam has been impressed but don’t be surprised to see Shola go to Middlesbrough for around £2-3 million. They need another tall striker and I think he would probably play better for them for some reason.

Less pressure. Alves looks a great player and would be an option definetly! I still want to see Baptista in black & white though. If only Bobby Robson got him all those years ago eh?

• Tom_Toon

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:39 AM

all those year ago Baptista was a defensive midfielder.