The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Given Keeps Clean Sheet Against Germany

11:25 am, Sunday, October 14th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Shay Given played the full game for Ireland against Germany in Dublin yesterday, and kept a clean sheet in the 0-0 draw with Group D leaders Germany.

But the draw will do little to improve Ireland’s chances of qualifying for the finals next summer. They are 5 points behind the Czech Republic and 8 points behind Germany and both teams have a game in hand over Ireland.

Germany became the first team to qualify for the Euro 2008 finals with this point.

shay-given-4392.JPG

Shay Given - Newcastle goalkeeper keeps clean sheet for Ireland against Group leaders Germany

Germany had the edge in terms of possession but failed to capitalize against an Irish side that went into the second half fighting for the win, which they desperately needed to keep their qualification hopes alive. To their credit Ireland had several shots on target and looked more threatening than those of their opponents. But they just couldn’t make the breakthrough.

Robbie Keane wasted an excellent chance in the second half to bring Ireland glory. Stephen Kelly sent a through ball to Keane, who beat the offside trap and was clean through – but with just Lehmann to beat Robbie attempted a lob which he badly underhit. The Arsenal goalkeeper gratefully collected the falling ball. That was the game right there, unfortunately for Ireland.

It looks like this will be the second successive major tournament that Ireland will fail to qualify for the finals – after failing narrowly to reach the World Cup finals in Germany last year. Yellow cards for Lee Carsley and Richard Dunne mean they will both miss Wednesday’s qualifier against Cyprus in Dublin. Steve Staunton, the Ireland manager is certainly finding it tough to turn Ireland’s fortunes around, and the Dublin crowd left the Croke Park stadium very disappointed.

Teams:

Ireland: Given, Finnan, Kelly, Joey O’Brien, Dunne, Carsley, Reid, Keogh, Kevin Doyle, Keane, Kilbane.

Germany:
Lehmann, Arne Friedrich, Fritz, Jansen, Mertesacker, Metzelder, Frings, Schweinsteiger, Trochowski, Gomez, Kuranyi.

Referee: Martin Hansson (Sweden)

Tags: Newcastle News · Players · Shay Given

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Couple of players in German team I’d like to see at the Toon, Schweinsteiger and Kuranyi. Hammy when you come on line I did reply to your question, it’s in the 8 days blog.

• 2 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I meant 8 games, must be getting Senile :)

• 3 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Very dissapointed, meh, mathematically we can still qualify, no the lads put in a massive preformance. How we didn’t score is beyond me. How Robbie Keane missed that sitter I’ll never no. We should have one that match. The defending on both sides was really good. No doubt with Dunne missing on Weds Given will probally have a lot more to do.

• 4 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:18 PM

I was glad Given g0t a clean sheet. – thought he played well. But at the same time dissapointed that Germany never got all three points :P.

Sinead, you shouldnt be dissapointed. Lehman turned up a massive performance. The only easy chance your lads had was that Keane miss!!

And what does everyone make of Miroslav Klose? I think he could fit well next to Oba or Owen in the Big Man/Little Man tactic.

• 5 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:27 PM

I wasn’t I’m not, I’m kinda annoyed we didn’t get the 3 points but that’s it, the lads played their hearts out and were unlucky not to win. Germany didn’t need the 3 points they needed a point to qualify and they got it. Now all we need is a miracle.

• 6 Tom_Toon // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Rather have Kuranyi :)

Klose would be much more aswell.

• 7 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Kuranyi is ok. Nothing all to special IMO.

And I doubt we could get Klose since he just moved to Bayern Munich. 8 goals in 7 appearances from him so far for his new club!!

What about Drogba? His darling Mourihno has left, and things seem unsettled at Chelsea. Even though I really despise Drogba, I think he would be great for us in that Big man position.

• 8 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Drogba, I hate Drogba with a passion. I don’t care if he’d score goals or not, that man is a poison. The size of him and then he just crumbles so easily at the slightest bit of contact. It’s a disgrace. Football is better off without people like him.

• 9 Tom_Toon // Oct 14, 2007 at 8:41 PM