The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Michael Owen Confident of England Win in Russia

4:39 pm, Sunday, October 14th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Following England’s professional 3-0 win over Estonia yesterday, a win in Moscow on Wednesday evening will be enough for them to guarantee their place at the European finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

England are traveling to Moscow from Manchester Airport tomorrow and should feel confident following their solid performance against Estonia.

michael-owen-england-2.jpg

Michael Owen – says he’s very fit and that England will attack Russia on Wednesday

Guus Hiddink’s Russia have to win on Wednesday, so it should be a decent game and hopefully England will show some confidence and not just try to hang on as they seemed to do continually during last summer’s World Cup. England have to show the confidence to attack Russia and beat them. Since Russia must attack, there will be opportunities for England to attack Russia on the break.

Newcastle’s Michael Owen talked today about England’s vital game in Moscow:

“We are ready to go out there and play against a good team,”

“They will have home advantage and a lot has been made out of the surface we will be playing on but we are in confident mood.”

“We have got top players, playing well for their country, and we will be looking to get a positive result. Any result will be good but we are looking to win.”

“I’ll be going into the game thinking I can score. Often in these games the best form of defense is attack and if we can get a goal, not many teams can score two against us.”

Owen actually played 70 minutes against Estonia yesterday and looked good as far as his fitness was concerned. The Newcastle United striker will likely start alongside Wayne Rooney once more in Russia. Owen thinks he is peak condition and ready for the plastic pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium.

“Fitness wise I am fine,”

“I feel good and with only playing an hour on Saturday, I will have more energy stored up and hopefully I can show it on Wednesday.”

Let’s hope Michael doesn’t use too much of that energy on Wednesday night – but certainly enough to secure an England win – then we’ll be through to the finals with 4 wins in a row.

Michael will be needed for the following Monday night when Newcastle entertain Tottenham Hotspur at St. James’ Park in a vital league game. A Newcastle win against Spurs will put the Magpies into the top 5 in the league – and that would good so early in the season when the team has yet to gel.

We can then push on from there with our next game being on the following Saturday, 27th October, at Reading. But one game at a time and a win against Spurs is next on the agenda – wonder what the starting team will be, with Barton and Emre now both fit?

Tags: Michael Owen · Newcastle News · Players

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 gordon // Oct 14, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Solid performance the england game was garbage for the most part.

• 2 Ed Harrison // Oct 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM

agree it wasn’t good to watch – but they got the job done.

• 3 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Great to see Owen get through the game unscathed. My heart was in my mouth when he got slammed by that Estonian fella though. Thought he played reasonably well without seeing to much of the ball – kept getting in the right areas and looked to be a tad unlucky with some of the offside decisions that went against him.

Fingers crossed he returns from Moscow a little bit closer to that record and starts banging them in for the Toon again.

• 4 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 5:12 PM

My team for Spurs on Monday week…

Owen, Viduka

N’Zogbia, Emre, Faye, Milner

Enrique, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Beye

Given

Let’s just hope everyone reports back from International duty fit and well.

• 5 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I will put money on it that Keane will score an amazing goal against us..He can do it for my club all right but whem it comes to a complete sitter for Ireland he mise as well have two left feet. What a plank.

• 6 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Er… what team do you support Sinead? reading your last blog not sure that your not a Tottenham fan, with the Keane reference….anyway just curious..

Bill F, read your earlier blog, cheers mate.

Looking forward to the end of International week, and back to the real business. I really can’t be arsed with England anymore……been let down too many times I’m afraid.

• 7 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Anyone watch the egg-chasers last night? Superb!! McClaren and his squad could learn a thing or two from them. Come on England. I believe!!!

• 8 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Toon Chicken, I think you are forgetting someone in your lineup. Barton will be back for the game against Spurs!! :)

• 9 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Your right Toon chicken, just watch the National Anthems….. the Rugby lot are well up for it and the footballers? you’d think that they were auditioning as the New Lord Charles….well the ones that remember the words anyway..

• 10 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Hammy I’m not a Spurs fan, I was talking about Keane with Ireland like, I follow Ireland allright cause I’m Irish..obviously.

• 11 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Jinal – I haven’t forgotten Barton, I just don’t see where he would fit into that side right now. The only one of those players I would rest on current form is Milner, but I think Barton would be wasted on the right. Much better I think to see how Emre gets on, and then bring Barton on to replace him later in the game.

• 12 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Good to have you back Sinead, we’ve missed you!

• 13 Tom_Toon // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM

put emre on the left and barton in the centre, he wont start anyway.

id go for:

N’Zogbia Emre Faye Geremi

• 14 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Sinead – how did Given play against Germany? I see he kept a clean sheet. Looks like you’ll be cheering England on next summer now I’m afraid though.

• 15 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Toon Chicken, we’re playing at home and we need all three points so mine is amore attacking line up.

Martins, Smith

N’Zogbia, Emre, Barton, Milner

Enrique, Faye, Cacapa, Beye

Given

Subs – Harper,Rozenhal,Geremi,Viduka,Owen

• 16 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Wow – that’s some bench, Jinal!

• 17 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Lol, I thought Smith played well in that position last time around. Oba said in an interview that he mixes well with Emre so thats why he’d start infront of Owen. With the subs, if things arent going well for us, we could sub Martins for Owen, Smith for Viduka and Milner for Geremi.

• 18 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 6:52 PM

And lads, should i be rightly worried about Englands next game in Moscow? The playing surface is awkward, those Russians play an extremely rough game and now more so, because the game spans all or nothing for them. I have a really bad feeling about Owen coming through this unscathed. Touch wood I’m wrong.

• 19 JJ // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM

I agree with Jinals starting line-up, I wouldnt start MO because the last time he played two international games and Sam didnt rest him on his return, he picked up another injury.
    We cant afford another injury so rest Owen and play Martins. Bring Owen on (only if need for the last 20 mins). Dont just play him for the sake of playing him.
    Ps. Remember Oba’s cracker against Spuds last season… wouldnt mind seeing that again. One of the best toon goals ever… along with Albert chip and Shearer Volley.

ED – what about a vote on the best toon goal of all time… that could be fun.

• 20 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Sinead..would never have guessed

• 21 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:08 PM

JJ.. I’d vote for Phillipe Albert’s cheeky lob against Man Ure. sweeeetttt

• 22 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Sinead…you been on holiday? all of us bloggers were worried about you after we hadn’t heard anything after the city game, loads of people asking after you.

• 23 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I’d vote for Ginola’s goal in the UEFA Cup (can’t remember who we were playing). I still rate that as one of the best goals EVER, let alone scored by a Toon player. And for sheer improv, Mr Robert deserves a mention for his overhead back-heel.

• 24 Jinal // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:17 PM

JJ, yes all are valid points. And if I’m not mistaken, Emre also scored a cracker against Spurs last season??!!

And for my favourtie toon goal of all time, Hammy was on spot – Albert’s goal against Man Utd was simply breath taking!

• 25 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM

If anyone needs reminding of David’s crackerjack…

• 26 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Pretty special Toon Chicken, but it’s not every day you stick 5 past Fergie so I’ll stick with PA’s thanks…

• 27 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Furry muff, Hammy. Each to their own and all that ;)

• 28 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Touche.

• 29 Sinead // Oct 14, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Toon Chicken ..he kept a clean sheet which is great, suprisingly he didn’t have much to do, but was there when they needed him and he organised the defense brilliantly in front of him especially with inexperience in the back line and out of position aswell, he did well though. Delighted he kept a clean sheet.

“cheering England on”..cheering on England me hole. Here that’s called treason. I do love the RTE pannel when it comes to talking about England though. Good, funny memories.

• 30 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Nice to see a bit of blogging action, did anyone go to the match today. I reckon shearer and ferdinand could still do the biz. Didn’t see it but read report.

• 31 Toon Chicken // Oct 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Sinead – haha, somehow I didn’t think you would be!

• 32 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 8:20 PM

I seem to remember Ivor Allchurch scoring with a backheel, for the time this was considered innovative, he was lethal from distance. With Eastham and White they were the Toons best ever imo.

• 33 Cockney Magpie // Oct 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM

i always get on ere too late when everyboy stops bloggin!!

• 34 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Cockney Magpie, I know just how you feel. Also my apologies as I have to go and do something else for a couple of hours. I will be back to quote 2 famous people.

• 35 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Hi Bill, who are these two famous people you mention?
    I’m off to bed soon, I’m cream crackered.

• 36 JJ // Oct 14, 2007 at 10:11 PM

The Boks are through to thump the Pommies in the rugby final….Ernie won the world match play…now all I need is to see John Smit lifting the world cup trophy on Saturday and Newcastle thump Spurs and I can celebrate till Christmas.

Three cheers for the Bokke.

• 37 Hammy // Oct 14, 2007 at 10:53 PM

JJ…..you could be right, Boks looked awesome.

• 38 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Hammy, Arnie (the terminator) and General Mcarthur if my failing mind tells me right. JJ in your dreams, that whats the Aussies thought and they are back cooking shrips on their barbies.

• 39 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Shimps not shrips thats are different type of animal. God I havn’t even been drinking.

• 40 Bill F // Oct 14, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Shrimps, Shrimps, I think I will go to bed as well.

• 41 tommyinaustralia // Oct 15, 2007 at 9:11 AM

we call them prawns

• 42 Bill F // Oct 15, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Tommin………… I know :)

• 43 Cockney Magpie // Oct 15, 2007 at 12:37 PM

so why do ya say put another shrimp on the barbie? lol :D

previous post: Faye – Great Example of Sam Allardyce Type Player