The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Bobby Robson To Decide On Future Soon

6:39 pm, Monday, October 15th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Sir Bobby Robson, as we all know, is fighting another bout of cancer, but he was still in Ireland for Ireland’s game with Germany on Saturday which they drew 0-0. He will also be in Dublin on Wednesday night as Ireland’s international football consultant.

However, he has decided to review his position at the end of the current Euro 2008 qualifying campaign, when it looks as though Ireland will fail to qualify for the finals next summer.

bobby-robson_cropped.jpg

Bobby Robson - one of England’s best ever managers

Robson said he will meet with current manager Steve Staunton and Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney to discuss the future. They will then decide whether it’s best for Bobby to remain in the post or not. We think it’s up to Bobby as much as anybody as to whether he continues in the job.

Bobby is now 74-years -old and had this to say today:

“I’m fighting, which is as good as I can say.” “I’m fine, doing as well as I can, making progress, but delighted to come over for these two matches.”

“I’ve been on chemotherapy, so that dragged me down a little bit, and I have to think about the future.”

“I’m here to see the campaign out. It was important I should come and I’m looking forward to Wednesday, and I shall certainly take in the Wales match.”

“Then I will overlook it. I’ve not been told to stop. But it’s something I must discuss with Stan (Staunton) and John Delaney, and see what’s in store for me.”

I’m sure very football fan around the world, and every Newcastle fan, will want to wish Bobby the very best.

A miner’s son, born in Sacriston, County Durham, Bobby has had a fantastic career in football and is one of the best managers England has ever produced. He is one of the most loved characters in the game.

Bobby was great as Newcastle’s manager from 1999 to 2004 when he got the Magpies into 4th, 3rd and 5th in successive seasons. But 5th wasn’t good enough and he was sacked harshly, and without warning, by then chairman Freddy Shepherd in August, 2004.

Best of luck Bobby, this is another fight we know you will win.

Tags: Newcastle News

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 SteveD // Oct 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Here Here Ed.

What ever your decision Sir, best wishes from us all

• 2 Bill F // Oct 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Totally in agreement with SteveD, keep fighting Sir Bobby.

• 3 adam // Oct 15, 2007 at 7:33 PM

get well soon bobby. legend!

• 4 Darren // Oct 15, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Bobby your a legend in your own lifetime, keep up the fight!!

• 5 Hadrian // Oct 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM

love the guy , what a legend . should never have been sacked .

• 6 George // Oct 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Best wishes to the Gent.
    At your time of life Sir Bob do you not think you deserve a rest and spend some time with your family and friends, especially when you think how many times you have fought off the big C.
    For as long as you live you will be special in the memories of us NUFC fans as we aknowledge what you did for us. Why not let others do things for you now and have a happy and long retirement. It may be difficult for you but without a doubt you deserve the rest. Best wishes Sir Bob

• 7 erik // Oct 16, 2007 at 6:44 AM

Best wishes Bobby!

• 8 yemozone // Oct 16, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Aggree with u Hadrian.What aLEGEND he is.Best best wishes Bobby

• 9 Graham // Oct 16, 2007 at 9:30 AM

A legend and a true gentleman with it. – Good luck Bobby and I wish you and your family all the best.

• 10 Pamela Kellett // Oct 16, 2007 at 10:14 AM

My very best wishes to Sir Bobby, a gentleman of the old school. Wish we had more of his calibre. Have a well-earned break Bobby while you recover. Enjoy your family and friends and take it easy.

Best wishes for a good recovery.

• 11 big pea ov the weab // Oct 16, 2007 at 11:27 AM

i think i speak for all the faithfull here WE LOVE U BOBBY !

• 12 Owen // Oct 16, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Bobby Robson, one of Footballs best managers and a true Gentleman.

As for that Fat Twat who sacked “Sir Bobby”, he’ll get his one day.

All the Best Bobby a true living legend.

• 13 leo // Oct 16, 2007 at 2:42 PM

bobby hope you have a break from the football, and come up north and watch the football with us geordies once again, we all love you and wish you all the best for the future

previous post: Sam – Newcastle Need More Shutouts