Mike Ashley Buying Tottenham – Nonsense

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has been linked with a takeover bid of Tottenham, by the Sun gossip newspaper today.

The Sun says that Paul Kemsley, a good friend of Ashley, is ready to launch a bid for Tottenham in partnership with Newcastle owner and billionaire Mike Ashley.

mike-ashley-6893.jpg

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley – buying Tottenham? – well the story is in the Sun

The multi-millionaire property developer ended his association with Spurs as vice-chairman this week after being blamed for the Juande Ramos mess. Old friends Ashley and Kemsley are currently working together on a project to build a casino in Las Vegas.

Kemsley said today:

“To be honest, I had outgrown the position. I am not a number two any more, and it was becoming a distraction.”

“My number one appetite is for Rock (his property company), and I am spending a lot of time in America.”

“With all the time I was spending at Spurs as well, I was running out of time with my kids.”

How much truth is in this sensational Sun story? Well, just let’s point out it is in the Sun, which isn’t exactly known for it’s stellar reporting. And in any case we think Ashley would have some legal problems owning two football clubs that play in the same league. On a scale from 1 to 100 for authenticity – we’d give the story it a 1 – and that’s being generous. 😀

• ToonKing

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:35 PM

bollox

• Cyprus Toon

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Why would he want the Spurts when he’s got us & didn’t Mort say that Ashley wasn’t a football supporter until he brought the TOON!
    Also in the advert by the Sun, didn’t Kemsley say himself:

So why would he buy the Spurts, its contridicts what he’s said!!!

• sirjasontoon

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:58 PM

If he buys spurs they can be a feeder club for us and we can get berbatov,keane and defoe on the toon books : )
    On a more reaklistic note it seems every week that Ashley is either selling the Toon or whatever..do you think there is any truth in all the rumours?
    Personally if a bid came in and he could maximise his profit my gut feeling is he would sell.

• Graham

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:33 PM

I read this article this morning and was so puzzled by it I had to raise a couple of points with the journalist. See what you all think… Is it just me or do the national press not like us?

Mr Irwin,

I have just read your article about Mike Ashley the Newcastle United owner getting ready to buy Tottenham Hotspur (and him being a lifelong fan…). Could i therefore give you some points to consider before re-printing this garbage…

1. I’m, no expert but isn’t there some rules about owning 2 football clubs? – conflict of interests and all that? Was this not brought to light when Chelsea played some russian team who their owner had something to do with?

Maybe Ashley will sell NUFC?

2. He initially invested £133m to buy the club and has subsequently invested a further £70m to sort out the clubs finances – do you really think he can make a quick profit on this, afterall he is a businessman and wouldn’t sell for a loss now would he?

3. Mike Ashley a Spurs fan? Did you eat some double gloucester before going to bed? Mike Ashley has himself stated that until he bought Newcastle he had no real preferences to one club and was a football fan (to make this easier for you that means he was a fan of football in general).

As I said i’m no expert or detective, but in 5 minutes i have managed to blow 3 massive holes in your story (and thats before i have my crunchie nut cornflakes). As Michael Owen didn’t injure himself on Wednesday and seeming reasonably happy at Newcastle (despite repeated attempts by certain national newspapers to make us think otherwise); are you therefore just dreaming up storys to fill your blank pages. But then again, that has never stopped you’s in the past now has it?

I’m sure that i have wasted a few minutes of my time and that i will never get a response from you, but all i ask is that you actually go out into the big bad world and report on real things and not just play make believe…

• Hadrian

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:53 PM

its was said ashley is a spurs fan when he bought the toon .
    todays reports also said he would be selling newcastle before bidding on spurs .
    he put 30 million (not 70)ontop of the 133 to pay of some of the clubs debt and restructure it .
    he’s had bids for the toon since he bought it that would give him a small profit for his time .

i cant see ashley doing this simply because of the hassle involved , but dont get the wrong idea about our suggar daddy just cos he pops along to the match in a toon shirt , his eye is firmly on the monitary gains , if he can do that with a club closer to his heart then im sure he would .

• George

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM

As the song goes “the sun aint gonna shine anymore”, thats because it is stuck in an orifice somewhere.
    The thing that gets me is how on earth do they get away with printing blatant lies. Where is the watchdog to make sure that all printed stories are true and correct?
    The press and the papers in particular are the scum of this earth and do not deserve to be read. Just a pity we have one just as bad up here in the north, “Anus Oliver”

• Owen

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM

They will keep printing rubbish like this because they can. Lazy bastads.

• Frank

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I’m sure I read somewhere recently that Chris Mort said Ashley had turned up on purpose wearing a Newcastle shirt at the Boro game because he had been especially peeved at a story in the paper that morning that he was planning to buy Spurs, and wearing the shirt would dismiss that story. Old story revived then.

The papers are really getting worse and worse, they just print whatever garbage comes into their heads, where can I get a job like that? “Oh now what shite will I report on today”, whoever said it was correct, they are indeed the scum of the earth.

• michael

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Sorry Hadrian that’s crap. He put 35 million pounds in to the debt after the internal review in August, and a further 35 million pounds in around a month ago. If you’re going correct folk, best to get it right bucko.
    Ashley not only ressurected Umbro, Slazenger and Lonsdale but he used to do some short term deals like buy 3% of Addidas. To my knowledge he has never bought and sold an entire company for a quick buck. And lets face it, we’re bound to be worth more than bloody Umbro even if they did make Al and Owens boots!

• Bill f

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM

SirJay, Spurs as a feeder club, very good, lol

• leo

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM

mind everyone, it was mike ashley that got all the shirt retailers to come to a secret meeting about price fixing, then to grass them up and own the rights by himself… his company that is…

he might just be in it for the long run, but i will not be holding my breath yet…

• Jeremy9

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:22 AM

We talk about how much he spent on buying the club and how much he spends on investing, and I think that can be tracked and made public knowledge. But as far as realizing the debt Newcastle was in and how much he paid due for that debt, are we really for certain? These clubs are so big and important to the fans I’m skeptical to hear someone just say they outright paid off x million dollars of debt. Regardless, I love the fact that he wears the Newcastle jersey to games and went to a club/bar and picked up everyones tab in the city. I can only dream of something like that happening here in the states. Besides, we only seem to be getting better under him and BSA compared to Roeder and Sheppard who were leading the club the first year I started following them. It seems to be night and day.