Barton’s Enthusiasm for Newcastle Contagious

Newcastle United boss Sam Allardyce finally has midfielder Joey Barton back in the squad for tomorrow’s clash with Tottenham.

We wonder if Joey will actually start against Tottenham, because he’s certainly played enough games in his comeback.

But Sam will most likely start Joey on the bench, in what is shaping up to be a key game for the Magpies.

joey-barton12.gif

Joey Barton – his enthusiasm for Newcastle United is contagious

Barton said: today:

“It has been a case of being a little bit careful to make sure I am back in contention for Tottenham.”

“The foot feels fine and I am itching to get back in contention.”

Allardyce kept Joey back and he’s been out since July 21st when he picked up his metatarsal injury at Carlisle United, a game in which he captained the side. But Joey is impatient and has been pestering the staff on what else he can do to get back earlier.

Sam Allardyce talked about Joey yesterday:

“He was one of my first major signings and the talent of the player would help this side immensely.”

“Joey has tremendous Premier League experience and he has got all the criteria a central midfield player needs for the Premier League today.” “He is box-to-box, he has got great energy levels, he is a good passer, he tackles, he is tenacious and he scores goals – that is something we want to see him producing for Newcastle.”

“When he gets fit, people who are already playing now will hopefully be looking over their shoulders and saying he is a challenge they are going to have to meet.”

A good time for Joey to show his prowess is tomorrow night against Spurs, either as a starter or as a substitute. He is no doubt a very gifted player and if he can control his anger he can become one of the greats for Newcastle United, we think he’s that good. Certainly his enthusiasm while he’s been at Newcastle has been absolutely first class and by all accounts it’s contagious and has positively affected all the squad, as well as the staff.

Joey could well be a future captain for Newcastle – but first things first – and Joey contributing to a win tomorrow night is next on the agenda.

Comments and opinions always very welcome.

• MightyMilburn

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.. No doubt he will be running his socks off for duration of his match time.. Whether or not he will be “an instant success” – I doubt that – as he has been out injured for too long to not have his level of match fitness affected.. (in my world reserve league footie does not equal real match experience – more like extended practice..)

Cannot wait for the game tomorrow – though.. It has been a few long weeks without any NUFC games to watch..

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• MightyMilburn

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Cannot wait to see Barton on the pitch.. I have no doubt he will have a big impact in a few weeks when his level of match fitness will increase.. (in my world reserve league games does not equal real match practise)

I really hope he can buckle his off-field tendencies and go on to become a Geordie Giant..

HOWAY THE LADS!!

• ToonKing

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Joey for Captain!!!! Joey for Captain!!!

• Bill f

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:28 PM

The contagion I want to see spreading through the team is the winning one, I agree with Smithy, some one is in for a hiding and it’s going to be Spurs. I think Leo was being just a little optimistic though.

• leo

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM

ah really. so you dont think its going to be 100-1…

nah neither me

i cant wait to have joey running on the pitch, going to give us all a big big big lift. players and crowd. someone who works as hard as he does gets the fans behind him, its a fact. look at benjani for pompey, last season he lost his scoring boots, but was a hard worker, and the fans loved him, this season he cant stop scoring, and the fans love him even more

• Tripp

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:48 PM

So does this mean that Barton is getting 7 years transportation? I haven’t seen anything about his legal, uh, “issues” lately. What’s happened with that? Glad to see he’s ready to go though.

• Bill f

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Tripp we don’t have any colonies anymore so I think that option is out. He is still awaiting his court appearance and (just in case you havn’t read any of the stuff on prior blogs) could go down for up to Five years, although this is highly unlikely. A short term is definately possible however which would be a real bu**er now he is ready for action.

• Aussie geordie

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Never took much notice of him until he came to us though he always looked a talent and I cant wait to see him play and see what he does. I’m also looking forward to a Milner, Geremi, Emre, Zogbia midfield. Salivating.