The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Faye and Cacapa – Revelation in Newcastle Defense

4:07 pm, Tuesday, October 23rd, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Abdoulaye Faye and Claudio Cacapa have been little short of a revelation in these last two home games and they have played excellently in the heart of the Newcastle defense.

They have to be good, because they are keeping David Rozehnal and Steven Taylor out of the team, both of whom are also very good central defenders.

Faye arrived at St James’s Park with most fans expecting him to be a good strong squad player but nothing more – how wrong we were.

abdoulaye-faye-123.jpg

Abdoulaye Faye - forced himself into Newcastle side and formed a solid partnership with Cacapa

Faye forced himself into the team and with performances like the last two games it’s hard to know how Sam could leave him out of the team but Rozehnal and Taylor will come again, there’s do doubt about that. Faye has been praising his defensive partner Cacapa, after the Brazilian pipped him to his first Newcastle goal last night

In the first half Faye had seen his similar near post header hit the post from an N’Zogbia corner before Faye’s flick-on for Cacapa allowed the Brazilian to power home an unstoppable header on 52 minutes.

Newcastle’s back line has looked that extra bit more solid since Sam decided to pair Cacapa and Faye together against Everton after the poor game at Manchester City. Faye said after the game:

“It was good to help Claudio score. I flicked the ball into his path from the corner from Emre and he scored. I was delighted for him.”

“Cacapa is a good player for us this season.” “He is an intelligent guy and I like to work with him.”

“It was a great win for us and for me personally to be in the team twice at St James’ Park is excellent, I am very happy.”

Speaking about his first-half header that came off the post he explained:

“When the ball came across I saw it heading for the goal and thought ‘oh my god’ because I thought I had scored my first goal for the club.”

“But it wasn’t to be for me and perhaps another day that will go in.” “I was just happy that we won the game and played some good football.”

The work on the practice field is certainly paying off for Newcastle as, just like at Bolton, Sam has got Newcastle deadly at set pieces and Tottenham were just not good enough at the back last night to deal with the Newcastle danger. The next item on the agenda is the away game against Reading on Saturday. Our away from has not been as good as we’ve been at home so it’s a good chance to improve that statistic. Faye concluded:

“The confidence is high in the team at the moment.” “We are aware that some things need to be worked on and we will do that.”

Tags: Newcastle News · Players

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hammy // Oct 23, 2007 at 4:23 PM

These guys are top pro’s….can’t believe they are playing for the toon.

Can’t wait to see how they play against Drogba and Rooney and the likes….

• 2 bowsie // Oct 23, 2007 at 4:28 PM

That set piece was fantastic – it really was.

They’ll only be a “Revelation” when they keep a few clean sheets though….

• 3 Doctapaul // Oct 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM

For the first time in many seasons – it looks as if we are starting to exploit set pieces well.

Keep it up lads.

• 4 Sinead // Oct 23, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Ya they were good yesterday, a bit dodgy at times, a lack of concentration cost us the goal but that will all be fixed in time, hopefully, lack of experience together I hope. I don’t know, overall though I’m pretty happy at the 5 lads in the back.

• 5 wsq // Oct 23, 2007 at 6:06 PM

I hope they are aware they need to work on ball retention when sam plays 4-5-1 towards the end. The goal we conceded was a result of no one closing down the cross.

• 6 toon_cancuk // Oct 23, 2007 at 6:21 PM

anyone see how much we got outpaced at the back when wingers ran at us? scary thoughts when the likes of ronaldo and malouda to come

• 7 Graeme // Oct 23, 2007 at 6:26 PM

They are starting to gell as a unit and that can only mean things will get better. Knowing that Rozy is itching to play and Taylor wants a game will keep them on their toes for sure. The BSA influence of competition for places is starting to pay dividends, coupled with the fact that we now actually have players who know what the term “Defence” actually means at long last!!!

• 8 Sinead // Oct 23, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Ya they did well yesterday, they might be tested more against Reading. They’ve some very threatining player. Hunt can be very dangerous he can spark things, lift the fans. On his day as good as some of the top players in the premiership.
    Kevin Doyle, he came on there on the weekend with about 10/20 mins left, he scored twice in 10 mins, he can score against the run of play. He’s very dangerous in the are, and set pieces, if he starts which I imagine he will. We can’t afford to give away too many corners, or frees from decent areas. You can’t give him space either, on his day, he’ll punish you for lapse of concentration. Players like them need to be marked and marked bloody well. Spurs wasted a lot of their canches yesterday, Reading mighn’t be so careless. THey seem weak in the back though, they’ve been conceading goals all over the shop like so that’s a pluss but their strike force up front and some of the lads in the midfield wont be so slopy.

• 9 Betfair Kid // Oct 23, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Yes, so long Titus Bramble!

We’re definitely looking better from set pieces. Cacapa’s was a good goal and Faye was unlucky from that corner when he hit the post.

I’d like a clean sheet at Reading on Saturday, but I’m never going to complain if we still pick up the three points!

• 10 Andreas // Oct 23, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Must say I am positively surprised with Faye, he has been really good so far. Feels wierd that we have such competition/skill at defence this season that a good CB like Rozehnal is currently not playing.

• 11 leo // Oct 24, 2007 at 12:42 AM

i was going to get rozy and nzogbia on my new home and away tops, but i am going to have to buy the 3rd kit also because i want faye on the back, or cacapa, i cant decide, might be a spare being bought haha

got owen and martins last season

but what about milner and emre and barton. then theres duff

oh and what about smudge

then there is viduka and jose

lots to choose from for once, in the past it was shearer or robert

etc… u get my point i guess

• 12 OzToon // Oct 24, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Cacapa I expected to do well, an experienced winner strong in the air and on the ball, but Faye has been a revelation. I just didn’t expect him to be anything more than a squad player, he has really surprised me/us. It seems Sam is determined to have two C/B’s who are an aerial threat at set pieces and it has certainly worked.

Blows me away that Rozie and to a lesser extent Taylor can not get a game, brilliant. And more than that I think Beye and Bull are both players that will get better and better. Looks like we have a very solid foundation now, I take my hat of to BSA.

• 13 Obafan // Oct 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Pure quality in our defence.

Some of you are talking about the Spurs goal, bt IMO the problems started with Chimbonda who had way too much space to deliver a fantastic cross. Then okay the header was lost and Kean was the first to react and put the ball in the net, buw what I want to make clear is that Milner should have closed down on Chimbonda to stop him or to block his deadly cross.

After the Spurs goal, Cacapa stood up and showed his world class by taking always a perfect position in the heart of our defence. Faye indeed is a revelation for us. He has the advantage that he already knew the EPL (Cacapa, Roz, Enrique and Beye all have to get used to the EPL pace). Beye is getting stronger every game, IMO in a few games he will be a top class act in our defence and if Enrique can start to use easy passes instead of always willing to kick the long ball (1 time it was succesful, but out of more than 10 tries) to our 2 little attackers then things look very bright for the Newcastle future.

What if Edmilson would join in January, luxury problems at our defence. Something which we didn’t have for years (Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Bernard, Babayaro, …).

• 14 apan // Oct 24, 2007 at 7:10 PM

looked at the way cacapa handle the ball with his face wow, a real fighter

definite first choice for CB atm no doubt

previous post: Barton and Emre – Keys to Newcastle’s Success