Hunt Hopes For Goal Against Hero Shay

Reading’s young winger Stephen Hunt is hoping to score against one of his heroes, fellow Irishman Shay Given on Saturday afternoon when Reading take on Newcastle United at the Madejski Stadium.

The Ireland internationals go head to head at Reading this weekend as Newcastle look to improve their away record with all three points from Reading.

And Stephen Hunt is only too willing to make it a miserable afternoon for his countryman, Shay.

shay-given-and-stephen-hunt.jpg

Stephen Hunt and Shay Given – team mates on duty for Ireland

Speaking to Reading’s official website, Stephen said:

“I would love to score against Shay or at least get a few shots at him.” “He gives me a bit of stick in the international games so it would be nice to score against him, but the most important thing is we win and the team goes forward.”

“He is obviously a hero back home in Ireland as well so I will just do my best for Reading and not think about him until we meet up afterwards.”

Hunt watched the game on TV, when Newcastle beat Spurs 3-1 on Monday night – and he added:

“I watched them on Monday night and they won the game without playing well.”

“They will have some players back from injury again” “Viduka is important to them and if he is fit he will play I am sure, but the most important thing is we go about our game and try to get three points and play some entertaining football.”

Reading are a great club and to us have one of the finest unheralded managers in England in Steve Coppell. They did very well last year and one thing you can never accuse a Steve Coppell side of is not giving 100% effort. They have shown that in spades last season and this and have given all the top teams a run for their money. Reading to us are a very important side to have in the Premiership because they show you don’t need spades of money to be a good team – not when you have a manager of the standing of Coppell.

One thing is for certain on Saturday and that is the effort you’ll get from both sides. We’ll see 100% effort from all players on the field, and we think it should be an excellent game. But we also have to hope, as Newcastle fans, that Stephen comes out on the losing side, so the Magpies can get to top six and continue their excellent run, so far this season. And it will be 20 points from 10 games – not bad at all.

We’ll have our match preview tomorrow, and we bet you’re all on tenterhooks on what our prediction will be     😀

• indian toon

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM

expecting a hard battle.. anything can happen with teams that are just here to stay , they will go allout @ home. they have a rugged defence and so de we.. will be a very physical match.. but if newcastle are to reach the top 6 then we should win these games. we haven’t faced the big four yet.. so must pick up points against these teams. we just cant afford any loss..

• roscoe

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:16 AM

2-0 to the black and white.

faye and owen scoring.

got the bet down already!

• Brisbane Mag

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:17 AM

We need to beat teams like Reading to move into the top 6, so I’m going for a Newcastle win and clean sheet; i.e. 0-2….

• Bill f

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I just hope that Hunt is bitterly dissapointed and comes away as sick as a lager boy with a hangover from real beer.

• Owen

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Is Viduka Fit ??

If yes, then Owen and Barton will score and we will win 0-2.

If no Viduka then, I’ll be slightly less optimistic and pick Faye to score from a set piece and we nick it 0-1

• Steeley

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:05 PM

I see Strolla and Babayawno could be fit again for the Reading match! I dont even have a clue why the news channels are running the story! Unless half the team gets taken out by a sniper, I think we’ll see pigs flying before Babyaro gets another game for us!

And Strolla – after the decent victory against Spurs with Martins and Owen up front (and the potential return of Viduka) – I would rather see him polishing boots than warming up the bench….the useless piece of s**t!

• Toon Chicken

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Steely – I assume you’re referring to Shola. I’ve heard him called a lot of things before but not Strolla… care to enlighten me?

• Toon Chicken

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:12 PM

“Hunt hopes for goal against Shay”…Haha!

I’m hoping to get a new Ferrari for Xmas, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Get back in your box wee-man!

• Toon Chicken

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Steely – got it! Strolla…as in stroller! I had the pronunciation all wrong.

• indian toon

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:25 PM

hey guys.. stop humiliating our own players.. it takes a lotta hard work for any football palyer to reach the heights and to play for a premier league club. people who hav hardly kicked a ball in anger for years comment on a footballer.. lets stop critising our own players and cheeer them on’, so they do perform well. no offence to anybody .. peace out..

• Sinead

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM

All laugh at Hunt now but eh, if the lads aren’t awake on Saturday and Hunt is he’ll tear through mid and defense like it’s butter. He can spark an attack from anywhere and lifts the crowd every time he gets the ball. He is such a massive impact player.