Allardcye – I’m Completely Gutted

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce spoke today after his side had been completely outplayed and out fought by a very good Portsmouth side at St. James’ Park today.

Sam seems to have taken full responsibility for the defeat since he says any side he puts out is an extension of himself.

And Sam seems to agree that Newcastle’s play was as bad as we thought, and for the second week running, some terrible schoolboy defending has cost us all 3 points.

sam-allardyce-65.JPG

Sam Allardyce – completely devastated by woeful Newcastle display

Sam talked after the game:

“Disappointed is an understatement,” “I’m devastated by what’s happened here today. I’m completely gutted inside.”“What I put out on the field of play is an extension of me.”

“Players have to keep their shape and use their discipline and abilities, make sure they help their mates and use their talents in the right areas. Today that didn’t happen.”

“We lost all our discipline, shape and organisation, and going chasing lost causes means you lose deeper and harder.”

Newcastle were beaten in the first 11 minutes when they went 3-0 down with some terrible and pathetic defending. We thought it couldn’t get much worse than last week against Reading but were proved wrong very quickly this afternoon. Newcastle were up against perhaps the best team they have played this season.

Portsmouth were simply far too good for Newcastle on the day, and the score, if anything could have been worse from Newcastle’s viewpoint. Portsmouth might have had a penalty when David Rozehnal clearly handled in the penalty box in the first half.

Sam continued:

“We were our own worst enemy today. The basic errors from the back four have to be cut out. You have to play as a unit, and the biggest unit of all has to be the back four.”

“If it’s great play by the opposition then you hold your hands up, but when it boils down to two basic errors there’s very little that a manager can do. Their first goal was a stunning, stunning goal, but after that it was basic errors.”

“It’s not just the defence. It’s about the protection of the back four. The front men’s responsibility is to pressurise the opposition, and the midfield has to stop the attacks from the opposition.”

“We had a lot of experienced Premier League players out there today – but they didn’t use that experience.” “We lost the game in those first 12 minutes. “We lost the game in the shortest period of time ever since I’ve been here. When you go 1-0 down – to a goal you couldn’t do much about – you make sure you don’t go 2-0 down.”

“But we then gifted Portsmouth two more goals and even though we had a spirited comeback, and created some opportunities, and made David James show what a good goalkeeper he is, it was much too late.”

“We cannot carry on defending like that. For the first time, our defensive frailties have slipped into a game at St. James’ Park – and that’s the reason we’ve lost.”

Certainly the first goal was just a terrific goal that will be up there for goal of the season. It was just a terrific drive from 30 yards by Pamarot.

So it’s got to be all hands to the pump for Newcastle this week – and it’s the defense that’s causing all kinds of concern. Cacapa was just not in the game and was rightly taken off by Big Sam early in the first half. To his credit David Rozehnal came on and had a strong game for Newcastle trying to stop the tide of Portsmouth’s goals.

Only Faye this season has looked the part completelty at the back for Newcastle. With the team playing so badly what will happen at Sunderland next Saturday is anybody’s guess.

• Obafan

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM

I think BS is spot on by saying that it is not just our defence that is not good ATM, it all starts in the attacking line; they are the first defenders who have to put pressure on the opponent and that is not the case. I don’t always understand the tactics of BS, but okay he sees them also in training so he knows more than us that is true. But how can you put Martins and Emre on the bench for a not fit Barton and a SMith who is alwys on the verge of getting a red card. For me that is the worst transfer we have done this summer. Alan Smith, a player like Bowyer and Bellamy who thinks he is the most important one on the pitch. Every time something happens he argues to the referee and he gets yellow cards for arguing. Today he got a yellow card for his first tackle, perhaps it was not a bad fault, but he has got his name against him. If I was a referee and for the whole 90 minutes a guy like Smith was all the time arguing ang yelling at me; I would also give him a card from the first possibility I have to give one.

Let’s make the team ready to go to Sunderland, because they will be on the top of their toes to give us another punch next week. They don’t have got lots of football qualities, but they have the fighting spirit to come back in a game, which I don’t see from NUFC. So it always is a tough derby, but next week it will be more than others because of the fact that NUFC isn’t producing the stuff thay should.

• Howie

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:27 PM

just to get rid of all this negatine talk and lighten up did anyone see kammy on soccer saturday when pompey kept scoring. he was hillarious.

• A geordiedoonsooth

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM

BSA is gutted, not as F**king gutted as I am. I live about 15 miles from Reading & about 45 miles from Portsmouth, I am surrounded by Reading & Portsmouth fans. So much for making our defence better than last season what a joke. There is no creativity in the side at all. I am not looking forward to next week.

• ToonKing

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:43 PM

If we take just the back four —–we see that they are good

We take the middle four ——–they are good

Strikers ———they are great.

Problem is when we take the whole 11 ———it’s shite.

Were not playing like a team and that’s our problem, it’s like Babel out there, everyone doing he’s stuff not paying attention to the others. We have to start playing like a well oiled machine and play and move like one.
    We need more time to gel, results will come.

• Obafan

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM

ToonKing – I agree completely. The biggest problem is the communication, they all speak other languages, especially in the defence (Spanish, French but no English and then the keepers only speak English, that just can’t go right).

For the rest we need to stop the long kicks and start to pass the ball from foot to foot.

• Rocky

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:50 PM

No pace + no urgency + no creativity + no communication + no obvious plan =
    No European football next season.

Not good enough.

• Obafan

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Rocky – you re spot on. I’m curious what Alan Hanson, Marc Lawrence or Alan Shearer will comment later on in MOTD. Shearer must feel very bad if he sees what happens (or doens’t) at the pitch.

• Jamie

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:03 PM

I have no idea why Martins wasn’t playing? here are my points from the game.

1. Martins – his pace and movement would have had the pompy defense unstable for 90% of the game, something Alan Smith could not and will not ever be able to produce. Owen is another one like Martins but with less pace and more of a instinct for goal (we all know that) so for me Martins 100% should have started instead of Smith.

2. Why do we have our best defender in David Rozy on the bench? Cacapa is not up the premiership speed or work rate as yet, rozy has shown he is.

3. Big Sam is all about power and strength, we had none across the whole pitch today apart from Faye and when Rozy came on, when January comes I expect big powerful players to be brought into the club. (Look at Pompy, probably the most powerful side in the Premiership, this IMO was where we were undone today together with our errors – I don’t care what anyone says if you go 0-3 in the first 11 minutes away from home, your confidence levels will be sky high)

4. Errors in defence again!

• Tom_Toon

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM

BSA wastes most of his time giving interviews he should just shut the f&*&ck up and get on with selecting his best 11 for home and away, attacking football is the best football you can play no matter where you are, attack is the best form of defence. He is one of the best managers we have had in a long time but i hope he sorts it out soon and in january doesnt buy more horses oh and shetland ponies like capaca couldnt believe how weak he is, its incredible!!!

• Tom_Toon

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Capaca and Enrique are the only ones who dont speak good english, Rozy, Faye, Beye (our normal starting defenders) speak very good english.

• Tom_Toon

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM

BSA wastes most of his time giving interviews he should just shut the fk up and get on with selecting his best 11 for home and away, attacking football is the best football you can play no matter where you are, attack is the best form of defence. He is one of the best managers we have had in a long time but i hope he sorts it out soon and in january doesnt buy more horses oh and shetland ponies like capaca couldnt believe how weak he is, its incredible.

• Obafan

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Tom_Toon; Beye needs to learn English. Enrique only speaks Spanish and Cacapa only speaks French. Given and Harper only speak English => communication problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ToonKing

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know what happened to Cacapa in the last 2 games. Lyon is a team i like very much and i’ve watched him play on countless occasions. I’ve never seen him make mistakes like he did in our last couple of weeks and he was very solid for us too before he’s meltdown. I think there may be something wrong with him physically or mentally.

• Jóhann

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Blaah I´m getting sicked and tired of criticising but first of all I don´t really want to see a comment from Eve on this page? Is there a way to ban her? She´s just on some vendetta.

Cacapa was horrible today, there´s no way hiding from that. But I didn´t exactly think Faye was good either, he was also outmuscled if I remember correctly. It´s never one player. And stop that crap about communication. I play football I know football it´s just about screaming and pointing. Keeping players on their toes. You don´t need the language. That´s just a handy excuse.
    Rhoz was okay nothing more don´t think he would have done any better than Cacapa. Portsmouth were never gonna score more after we scored one so that substition wasn´t really necessary.

I agree that it´s sickening to see Harper not even trying to save. I feel he could have done better in the second goal but who can blame him for acting that way with that defense. It was basicly our two central defenders who were at fault today. Then of course Taylor in the fourth goal(that was a defnite own goal). Personally I would just put Edgar in the defense next game. Young and enthustiastic.
    Smith is unbelieveable bad player. He stops play constantly and doesn´t even win headers. I´m not sure with martins though. Tom wants him as a automatic starter. But come on, he´s so inconsistent that it isn´t even funny. But on the other hand I agree that Owen is past it. He´s not the forward he was. Viduka is by far our best forward. Zogbia needs to get on the ball more that´s for sure

And finally Barton aint near ready, though I don´t like emre as a player I think he should start instead.

• Eve

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM

You got a problem with me Jóhann?? What did I do to possibly annoy you now, or is it just the fact that I’m a girl piss ya off cause you hate Sinead as well. Sounding a bit sexist to me if I read into it more, so the main question is, is there a way to ban you because I’m thinking that you didn’t like something I said about your precious Harper. He didn’t play well. You criticise Sinead for “making excuses” for Given but now you’re doing it for Harper.

• Eve

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Looks like double standards to me. A lot of others were criticising Harper as well, why is it you only pick on me, no doubt if your one Sinead commented aswell you’d have a go at her too. I’m not quite sure what I’ve done to piss you off so much.

• Sinead

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:46 PM

I wouldn’t bother Eve, it’s like talking to a brick wall. Change your name to a fellas name then you might get a bit respect. Other then that, I’ve given up on him.

• Rob kirton

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I am glad that sam feels gutted tonight.

It was his team and tactics today.

The idea of starting off with Taylor at Right back (OKish) but having Milner and N’Zogbia on the wrong wings with our top scorer on the bench and Smith up front seemed a little strange, epecially on top of playing a clearly not yet fit Barton. However later on in an attempt to give the side attacking some attacking emphasis by binging on Martins and sending N’Zogbia to full back and taking off Milner when he was showing some promise when eventually deployed wide right seems bizarre.

What can he see that 50,000 geordies at the match can’t

We have not played well this season. The results to date have negated the poor tactics and occasional strange teams selection. Saying it will take the team some time to ‘bed in’ cuts no ice with me. ‘Bed in’ to what formation and tactics I ask myself?

I won’t join the lets sack Allardyce noises being made by some fans tonight.

He is perfectly capable of getting himself the sack without our help. None of us know what the target set for him this season was. If he looks like falling short by some distance I would expect Mike Ashley to act quickly. The speed at which he took over the club and made key decisions makes me suspect he won’t hang around in replacing Allardyce if he saw fit. He didn’t appoint him and he hasn’t allowed him to fritter away huge sums of money on players

• gordon

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I think if mike ashley could get a top manager in at any time big sams days will be numbered anyway.

• Hadrian

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Rozy gets called up for international duty for a reason , sam dropped the lad for errors nowhere near half as bad as what cacapa produced last week , yet he still got the start ahead of him .
    i think we have bigger problems even when/if sam gets the back line sorted , there is no height in the squad bar the back line , evident today by sam wanting milner and zoggy on diff side so they would cut in and pass rather than cross .
    sam’s job is pretty safe unless we look like a relugation candidate .
    what we need now are some more defenders it seems 😛 and one’s with PL experience .
    if mike ashley bought this club to have some fun, id love to know what his day was like today, howay mike , stick your fingers in your pockets for some world class players instead of drinks all round the blu bambo 😀

• Mson

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM

if we need a new manager capello/mourinho is always free 🙂

• Mani

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Rob, great to hear some sense. Negative tactics, bizarre substitutions, no width, pace or urgency have been the common theme of the season so far. I just hope Steve Mclaren gets the push some time before Christmas, giving Alardyce the “dream job” he craves, and giving Mort the ideal opportunity of getting shot of him nicely.
    Sam Alardyce, England manager – playing players out of position, a book full of excuses, and a “safety first” approach which is flawed from the outset. Sounds like the perfect replacement to me.
    Disgusted

• valle

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Whats the best way to get rid of all the moaners calling for sams head?… Anyway, those of us that have been fans for more than 10 years will remember how bad we where in the Great Bobby’s 2 first seasons, before the players and manager started to get to a mutual understanding. We wont go from bad to great overnight, but if we compare to last season, then we are getting better and thats all we need to know. I have no doubt than within 2-3 seasons we will be serious top 4 contenders with Sam at the helm, but it will take time for him to get the message through.

• Gavin

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Michael Owen’s never going to be able to thrive under BSA. At least when Oba’s out there he’s got a massive leap and can bring down some of the long balls. Def need Dukes back out there. Did notice however when Oba came on Faye started giving balls from the back to the forwards which were to the feet, which kinda shocked me.

Thought Enrique had a good game, thought N’Zog had a good game too. Roz was much much more composed when he came on. Barton played better than he did last week, but still looks a bit short of match fitness. Not much else can be said, not many positives can be brought out of that game. Just need to forget about it and prepare for Sunderland.

• Mani

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Valle, the whole point of internet message boards is that you have the opportunity to express a personal opinion on a subject to people with a similar interest. “Getting rid of the moaners” isn’t therefore really a sensible, nor viable, option.

• Leo

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:17 AM

he is bullshitting, absolutely.

why did he play milner on the left and nzogbia on the right…

why play cacapa when he had a crap game against reading

rozehnal is the fastest of our central defenders, with their pace, he should have started

why play butt and barton in the same team, it just doesnt work, just like butt and parker

why play these long balls constantly for 90minutes when we had not won any of them.

i have faith in big sam but he has to come out and tell us why he let his team do these very basic things wrong, everyone in the stadium knew that it was wrong…

• ToonKing

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:29 AM

@Leo :

1) Milner and Zog were playing on Left and Right respectively so they can cut in and feed the ball on the ground rather than cross….although Smithy is pretty good at headers so dunno why the were told not to cross.

2)Cacapa is world class so Sam probably thought he can got that game behind him……………….he was wrong

3)Yes he should have started.

4)Agree, Barton-Emre is the obvious choice, but seems like Sam is afraid to give it a go.

5)No idea, i would have nothing against playing long-ball if it would be winning us games, but it’s not. Even when we had 5 midfielders on we were still playing long ball—don’t see the point really—except that so far no one in our midfield can get a decent pass to the forwards so our defence just lobs it up the field.

I also have faith in Sam, he can take us to the top but he needs time.

• Leo

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:45 AM

cacapa may be world class i am not disputing that, but as sam said, players drop themselves, if he had kept to that maybe we wouldnt have gifted them 2 goals. rozehnal i am sure would have dealt with it.

i know the idea that if you play a left winger on the right and right winger on the left, that they will play balls into the feet of the strikers, but they didnt do this, neither did they give us any width which is what we expect wingers to do at home, get crosses in and make runs into the box, nzogbia can do this on the left not on the right, have you ever seen him do that???

• Hadrian

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM

LOL , match of the day when they brought up that list of our defensive signings these past years , no bloody wonder we suffer when its put infront of you like that , a handfull of defenders in far to many years and all of them flops .
    hansen seems to wonder what the hells going on with taylor aswell .
    january window lets really splash the cash on a world class centre back and a playmaker .

• Hammy

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Firstly, are Johann. Eve and Sinead all the same blogger…some kind of schitzoo writing to him/herself???? I’m sure many of the regulars notice how these bloogers crop up together to argue about who’s in goal……D’oh
    Back to the game……got what we deserved..fcuk all. How can a set of defenders look solid one week and fcuking shite the next??
    BSA has spent extra time with the defenders this week in readiness for pompeys style of play…..what the fcuk were they doing..playing darts???
    The toon have struggled against the so called crappier sides by the fact that they hardly win any balls in the air anywhere…defence or up front….makes you wonder why they punt the ball long so often…………
    ANybody else thinking where do we go from here………my starting line up is in tatters……….back to the tactics board…..

• Eve

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:34 AM

Hammy what the hell are you on about, where did you get the from?? No seriously where the hell did that come from. I don’t know either of them. Almost like me saying that you and Hadrian are the same posters. Get your facts right first before you go around accusing people of things. We crop up together to argue who’s in goal??….your one Sinead, that I can tell, besides today hasn’t posted in ages, either has Johann. Maybe, just maybe it’s a coincidence. And have you seen what Johann writes, I don’t think so.

• Eve

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:38 AM

There were a lot of people posting today at around the same time, oh I don’t know, during and straight after the match, we apparently comment on who’s in goal, well I don’t know about your one but Johann, in my experience starts it from some comment and says something that I don’t agree with and I tell him what I think. So what for once something besides strikers is talked about and it has to be some major contreversy. And I thought I was paranoid.

• stjames

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Appalling. Nobody will listen to negative comments about our football when we are winning. But we have been playing the same from the start of the season. This is realy no way to play football. The long passes completely leave out the midfield players. No one seems to be looking for team work. We are not trying to create spaces and pass the ball. We are not trying to use our midfield players in a constructive manner, let alone our strikers. When is Sam going to change the system? When are we going to see some decent football? I realy don’t care to much about the points (within limits of course) as long as we are playing a decent game and improving from game to game. I’m ready to wait for Europe if I just see some signs of improvement. At the moment I don’t see any. 🙁

• Dirk

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:10 AM

i think people need to calm down for a moment and look at the situation for a minute. Where were we last season at this point? we were relegation candidates werent we. look at us now 10th in the league and the best start weve had for years, this is our third bad game of the season out of 11. cacapa is a world class defender and had a bad game at reading, sam would have thought cacapa would be determined to redeam himself and perform his part which is a good reason. watching the game only cacapa and faye performed badly, sadly that resulted in 3 goals in three minutes but thats life, sam made mistakes and he accepted that, we should be rallying behind him and giving him our blessing and support because w/e any1 says he still a f*&*king brilliant manager and the best weve had for many a year now and remember that hes only been incharge since may, and doing rather well in that time in the league hes won 5 out of 11 and drawn two losin for which in his first season incharge is great compared to his first season in charge of bolton, also how long did it take for him to make bolton a fantastic team? and we are moaning because he isnt delivering instantly? hes a good manager and needs time and we must give it to him otherwise we may just drive him out of newcastle which would be as bad as sacking keegan and robson. he will deliver but in his time not ours, he is incharge afterall.

• phoonck

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:06 AM

woeful defending and aimless attacking is how i see we are playing at the moment. some weird decisions from BSA yet again. martins clearly is playing better than owen at the moment. why stick to owen when clearly he needs a performing midfield? and why is barton starting when clearly he is lacking match fitness? isn’t it all too obvious emre should be starting? so much about the hype on barton returning. so BSA seems to already have his ‘must-play’ players: namely barton, owen and perhaps cacapa and butt as well.

i’ve always called for support of BSA and give him time. though i still do, but i’m beginning to start to doubt us having a good season. pre-season has really got me high hopes, only to be brought back down to earth that we are just the same mediocre playing team no difference from the past 2-3 seasons. we cant even string 3 passes together and portsmouth strung around passes with more than 5 touches effortlessly.

newcastle, you need to pull up your socks and start to play like a football team or i can predict another poor finish in the league this season. mayb at best, a 12th?

• wsq

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:34 AM

first goal was stunning but avoidable no one closed him down! that’s the story of the day, how many times did one of their players had long shots that were inches off the bar. if the midfield down close down the opposition there’s nothing the defence can do. we are gonna finish 1 place better than last year mark my words, if we continue to play like this.

• indian toon

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:31 AM

ED!!!! .. PLEASE DONT PUT UP THE HIGHLIGHTS OR WE ARE GONNA LOOSE SOME MORE OF OUR OVERSEAS FANS… PLEASE!!!..

• indian toon

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:38 AM

MY HEART GOES OUT FOR HARPER.. HE HAS BEEN PUNISHED FOR NO MISTAKE OF HIS..

• indian toon

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:45 AM

k .. lets get over the hangover and look forward to the next game.. it’s not like we haven been beaten @ home… it was comin… it really shows that we hav we hav to get results away so that we can take some pressure of our home games…and YES we LACK pace at the back….