Butt – Keane Will Have Sunderland Ready

Nicky Butt is still waiting to make his Newcastle-Sunderland derby debut – and he’s been at Newcastle almost 4 years now, and the 32-year-old’s frustration is magnified because his former team mate and captain at Manchester United, Roy Keane, is now of course manager of rivals Sunderland.

Since joining Newcastle in the summer of 2004, circumstances have been such that Nicky has yet to feature in North-East football’s most high-profile match-up.

roy-keane-21.jpg

Roy Keane – will have Sunderland very well prepared for Saturday

Unfortunately, like Alan Smith before him, Butt was booked for the fifth time this season on Saturday, when he fouled one of Portsmouth’s best players on the day, Papa Bouba Dioup.

Nicky talked today about his disappointment at missing out again on the derby game:

“I’m devastated,” “It’s a game I’d have loved to play in, I haven’t played in one yet in the four years I’ve been here.”

“Being close to Roy as well it was one I was really looking forward to but it’s not to be, so I’m disappointed.”

Keane and Butt have houses next door back in the North-West and they are always in regular communication. Nicky thinks this is a perfect situation for the outspoken Irishman and he expects Roy to rise to the occasion on Saturday.

“Roy will prepare his players well,” “It’s the sort of occasion he’ll relish being the sort of person he is.”

“I only know him as a player, I’ve not worked under him as a manager, but as a person and a player he relishes the aggressive part of the game and I’m sure he’ll be looking forward to it.”

Nicky was asked if Roy Keane is the most driven person he has ever played with, and Butt didn’t hesitate much as he quickly responded.

“Yeah. I’ve played with a lot players who are driven but the way he stood up and spoke was different to anyone else “When you had someone like that in your team you’re always happy.”

“Roy was as intense in training as he was in games. Going off the lads I’ve spoken to who work under him as a player, he’s the same as a manager. He was a manager for us on the pitch.

“He always said in conversation that he wanted to go into coaching and management and be very successful.”

This is a dangerous game for Newcastle and we’re sure that Sunderland fancy themselves to be able to take all 3 points on Saturday. That’s the very last thing we want to happen. A win would right the Newcastle ship before the international break and all Geordie supporters have to hope that Big Sam’s team can get the job done on Saturday.

But we can hardly be accused right now of being in top form.

Comments very welcome.

• Halliday

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM

F*cking hell. Could he lick his arse anymore. TUT TUT.

• yemozone

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Thank God, nicky will not be playing.He hasn’t done anything to deserve a place in the newcastle team.His performance at the beginning of the season is giving the ball away to the opponent on several occassion.

• Obafan

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:55 PM

My team would be for Saturday;

Harper
    Beye – Rozehnal – Faye – Enrique
    Barton
    Geremi N’Zogbia
    Emre
    Viduka
    Martins

Subs: Owen – Milner – Cacapa – Smith – Forster

• sirjasontoon

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Bend over Roy Nicky wants ya Butt : )
    On a serious note I think we will struggle against the mackems who have been unlucky not to get something from many of the games this season and have played quite well too.
    This will be a bridge too far again for Sam and his negative tactics or lack of tactics will be sussed out by Keane long before a ball is kicked.
    So strike me down !!

• Tom_Toon

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:17 PM

That would be my line-up also obafan.

• Big Gaz

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Judging by the poor show that the great unwashed put in against Man City I realy dont think we have much to worry about. If Kean is just going to send out a group of thugs because of it being a derby then skill, class, experience, speed and overall performance should see us through quite comforatably. 3 – 0 Toon. at least 1 of the great unwashed to get sent off !!

• Hadrian

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM

this season with keane in charge , im finding it harder than normally to hate the mackems , really admire the guy’s character , and with the backing he is getting i can see him doing well there , lets face it he brought sunderland back into the prem far to early and i dont think the had the players in place to deal with it . hopefully he can keep them up this season and build from there , as much as we despise our unwashed neigbours , the prem isnt the same for newcastle without our local derby .

• Leo

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:34 PM

thank god that nicky butt isnt in the team. i think this season he has been overrated

• Bill f

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Got them ready for a thrashing I hope.

• joe

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Right you are hadrian. Hate them to bits, but still i love them to be here so we can give them a good kicking every time. Hope they finish 16th every year. 😀