Sam Takes Responsibility For Pompey Debacle

Sam Allardyce is taking responsibility this morning for the Newcastle debacle against Portsmouth last Saturday, and certainly Big Sam seemed shocked by the terrible performance. Big Sam hopes it will never happen again at St. James’ Park.

Well, we agree with Sam on that one.

sam-allardyce-65.JPG

Sam Allardyce – takes responsibility, along with the players, for the horror show last Saturday

Sam Allardyce said to the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“The players have to accept responsibility, but I have to accept responsibility more than anyone else because I’m the manager. The buck stops with me.”

“I have to tell the players what they are doing right and what they are not doing right this week and make sure they are ready for Sunderland.”

“I never expected to see what I saw against Portsmouth, that sort of thing should not happen against Newcastle at St James’s Park. I have to make sure the fans never see that sort of result and performance again.”

What Sam has to be concerned about this Saturday is that there’s no backlash to that woeful display when lots of Newcastle’s faithful support left the ground before the final whistle.

In the past that’s been a big red flag for the club, but it may well be that Claudio Cacapa was carrying some kind of hamstring injury and should never have started the game. While he was quickly withdrawn by Sam after just 18 minutes, the damage had already been done, and Newcastle were 3-1 down, and as it turned out – the game was over.

No such stupid mistakes can be made against Sunderland, particularly early in the game. Newcastle will need to be strong at the back, something they haven’t managed for quite a few games now.

• bowsie

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Hopefully the steadying of the ship by Mort yesterday will trickle down to all the supporters.

Keano will be looking to exploit our woes on Saturday so it’s absolutely essential that we at least get a draw at their side.

If we can grab a few sneaky goals and win the puppy, then all the better.

• Aussie Geordie

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I think this is just what we need. Maybe not having to play the top four so far and lift our game to theirs has not helped us. Yes we have some good points but considering who we have played and who we have coming we should have done better. I hope the team plays well.

• Martin L

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:09 PM

I don’t know why you are all so shocked, Pompey finished higher in the table than you guys last year and you only just managed a win on our last visit. We are stronger this year and so it should not be such a big surprise that you were well beaten by a better team on the day. You only ever manage to draw at Fratton Park and this year you’ll be lucky to come away with a point. I think you will beat the mackers as they are more in your current class.

• Bill f

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Caption

Sam:- Hi Ed, I’m just sorting out the team for the weekend. Can you let me know what the lads think.

• Leo

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:35 PM

im glad he has appologised for the defeat, but it was the players at fault….

claudio should have reported the so called injury.

players werent at their best, even milner wasnt full of spirit like he ususally is

BSA’s Black and White Army

• valle

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Martin L… get a grip, u beat us, but so what… u r nowhere near our size and stature and that will show in the end.

• Martin L

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM

There is a big club with a great stature 17 miles from where I live and they are in the Coca cola div. Look at Leeds, Elland road,

Ah the even the mighty can fall,

Hope you get Good Luck when you cross paths with the black cats tommorow.

Love from Pompey