The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rozehnal – Loves Newcastle Club and City

2:00 am, Saturday, November 10th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Last Saturday, Match of the Day viewers in the UK were reminded that Newcastle United have spent more than £30M on centre backs in less than 10 years – and some of them – like Boumsong and Marcelino, who together cost around £15M have been useless, and that’s a word we use with great care.

David Rozehnal on the other hand looks a strong center-back, with a wonderful attitude, who has thrown himself into the Newcastle cause, and the city, since his summer arrival for just £2.9M from Paris St-Germain. He’s been a great signing for Newcastle, and he’s only going to get better, once he gets more experience of the Premiership.

david-rozehnal-93.jpg

David Rozehnal - will only get better at Newcastle

As David did in the French capital for two years, he now spends his afternoons with wife Petra, wandering the streets, museums and attractions of Newcastle. They usually walk from their home, which was chosen for its proximity to a thriving city centre.

David said today:

“I’ve noticed three things, First, it is a fantastic city and we feel at home here. Second, when the people recognise you, they are friendly and happy to see you.”

“I can enjoy walking around and they always respect my family. And it’s easy for me — it’s not like I am Michael Owen or Nicky Butt.” ‘The third thing is they really don’t care about the cold. Some guys walk round in T-shirts, no matter what the weather. It’s crazy but I like it.”

And while his Czech mate and former Newcastle favorite Pavel Srnicek may have won the Newcastle fans obver, Rozehnal has gone a step further – his first son Luka, was born a Geordie a month ago.

“My wife and I wanted to stay together when he was born,” “If she had gone to our home city, I wouldn’t have seen them for weeks.” “We knew they would be looked after well in Newcastle and they are both very healthy.”

“It is important as a footballer that your private life is settled and Sam Allardyce and the club have done a lot to make sure all the new players are happy.”

Rozehnal is really entering a whole new world at Newcastle

“In Paris, I had to organize things myself but here, everything we need is at the training ground.” “Now it is up to us to perform.”

David is settled at home now, but the Czech Republic international with 37 caps and 5 goals. But Rozy has found it harder keeping his place in the Newcastle back four. David has been very unlucky to be left out of the side since the Manchester City debacle, but it looks like he will now keep Cacapa out for today’s derby game at Sunderland, where Newcastle will try to keep a 27- year unbeaten record on Wearside.

Rozehnal went on:

“I did not come here to be on the bench but I can’t disagree with the manager’s decision. I have to show, in training or when I play that I’m the best and I want to play for him.”

“I have never played at this level so regularly before and it is still a challenge. Every single week you know that you will play against a very good striker.”

“There are some big names out there but even if they are not big stars, they will be strong and dangerous and it’s a real test, but that is why I came here. Those are players I enjoy playing against.”

We’ve found out that David has a great attitude, and just loves playing for the club and seems to just love the Newcastle city. We think he’ll turn out to be one of Sam’s best ever buys – and he’ll have a huge test tomorrow at the Satdium of Light. But we expect the 6′ 3″ Chech defender to take it in his stride.

Tags: Newcastle News

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Brisbane Mag // Nov 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM

Roz looks a very tidy player and should retain his place against Sunderland. We need a settled side and Roz was unlucky to lose his place after the Man City debacle, but he’s now back and hopefully to stay……

Not sure if his CD partner will be Faye of if BSA decides to use Faye as cover for Butt in CM and bring in Taylor. I’m going for a Faye-Rozenhall central defense……..

• 2 Newcastlefan // Nov 10, 2007 at 5:39 AM

I agree, go for rozenhal and faye in central defense. It will be more solid.

Good to see that david had really settle down.

• 3 wsq // Nov 10, 2007 at 5:51 AM

faye to win midfield battle.. he’ll sit more often than nicky.

• 4 scotty // Nov 10, 2007 at 8:38 AM

This guy would be my first choice starter for central defence. Not to sure about Faye yet. Rozenhal looks to me that he has all the attributes to become great for Newcastle providing SA stops tinkering too much. Some of of his position tactics of late have infuriated a vast majority of the toon faithful – including myself, especially the swapping of milner and zog. Lets hope he gets it right today to restore some pride.
    ———– Harps ————–
    beye—roz—tayls—— bull
    mils — geremi — emre — zog
    duke ——- martins

• 5 toonmadtom // Nov 10, 2007 at 10:58 AM

i think rozy is goin to be one of the best central defenders newcastle have ever had. he is always calm and commits himself 100% to the game

• 6 Bill f // Nov 10, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I don’t understand why he hasn’t played in all of our games, if he hadn’t come on against portsmouth it could have been even worse.

• 7 Hadrian // Nov 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM

today we either need faye and taylor at centre back (two guys with alot of prem experience) or rozzy must be allowed to cement a place . man city game wasnt enough tobe pushed out the squad lke this for him imo.
    cacapa is getting on anyway , so tayls and rozzy could become our centre back pairing for many many years if they sort it out .

• 8 Leo // Nov 10, 2007 at 5:47 PM

just to say as a side note how good was faye till he was substituted. amazing player.

roz had another dependable game and i think that is our best central defencive partnership.

great to hear that he loves the place, good good good, i hope i see him down through town one day, good to know you can say hi and they wont go all up their own butt

• 9 yh // Nov 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Faye and Rozenhal looked pretty great today, yes.
    Anyone notice Taylor barging down the right wing today? It looked pretty convincing at times…

previous post: Owen, Smith In England Squad – Beckham Back