The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Emre Takes Heat From Turkish Press

12:14 pm, Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Turkey has not performed too well over the last 3 games in the European Championship qualifiers, and Newcastle midfielder Emre has been feeling the pressure from the Turkish Press, because of that.

They recently lost 1-0 at home to arch rivals Greece, and with only 2 games remaining they are 7 points behind Greece and 2 points behind Norway.

emre-training.jpg

Emre – under lots of criticism from Turkish press for Turkey’s poor recent performances

Their next game is against Norway away, which they will need to win to qualify for the tournament finals next summer.
Emre said:

“I have had some problems with the journalists in national team games. It’s no problem, I will ignore it. I believe the people in Turkey know me. When I go, I don’t play for the journalists, I play for the Turkish people.”

“We only have three or four players who play in Europe. There is me, Tunçay at Middlesbrough or Nihat in Villarreal who the people look up to. Maybe in the last two or three games I have not played very well.”

“But in Turkey, when we got third in the 2002 World Cup, when we won the UEFA Cup and the Super Cup [with Galatasaray] I played every time.”

It looks like the Turkish press are getting to Emre just a little bit. But it’s really all part and parcel of being an international star these days. Just ask David Beckham. Emre would do well to just stick in there right now, but he does hint he may eventually give up international football.

Emre continued:

“I have to play against Norway. That’s important to me at the moment. I think the national team need my quality. I go to the national team because I want to play for my country.”

“I will play because we need three points in Norway and it is a very difficult game. This is important for me. I want to play every game for my country, but when I don’t feel okay, I will tell my country that.”

Emre has struggled a little this season to find consistent good form, but he came on against Everton and basically won the game for Newcastle in the last 10 minutes. He scored one goal (a beauty) and made one for Michael Owen. On Saturday he had a good workmanlike game and contributed well to Newcastle’s comeback in the second half, after the Magpies went a goal down. There’s no doubt that Emre is giving his all for Newcastle under Big Sam Allardyce, and there’s no doubt he’s a very skillful player, who is very good to watch.

He went on to talk about the game on Saturday and Newcastle United:

“We have had some away problems and on Saturday we at least brought an end to those problems. It was only a draw, but I’m fairly happy with that.”

“At 1-0 down we reacted well and we have a lot of quality players. In other performances we have been terrible. We are sorry for the way we had been playing, but in the derby we played well. I’m sure we can now take the derby display into other games.”

“We have good players all over the pitch. When we keep the ball we can compete and score against any team in the Premier League. We are not happy to have drawn, but we didn’t lose against Sunderland and we are satisfied with that.”

We like Emre a lot, and think he is giving his all for Newcastle and Big Sam right now. He’s very skillful, and we’ll be following Turkey’s next 2 games to see how they do. They play Norway in Norway on Saturday, and then they are at home against Bosnia-Herz next Wednesday. A win on Saturday would set them up nicely for qualification – we really hope they can do it.

Tags: Geremi · Newcastle News

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rich // Nov 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I really like Emre, think hes quality! Think in a few more games hel be back to his best under Sam, hes shown glimpses that hes getting there again after his injury! Really hope he shows what he can do.

• 2 adam // Nov 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM

im a fan of his and think hes a great player. just dont agree with one thing he said, where he thinks they played well in the derby. i hope its not the team mentality

• 3 Leo // Nov 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM

great player with a great personality

he picks something up that we have all been saying lately.

“We have good players all over the pitch. When we keep the ball we can compete and score against any team in the Premier League”

totally right and when we loose the ball we leak goals

• 4 Tom_Toon // Nov 14, 2007 at 2:01 PM

He only mentioned Nihat and Tuncay what about two of their best players Sahin and Hamit Altintop

• 5 Bill F // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Well I’m sure Sam could give him some lessons on pressure management as regards the media, actually I reckon they all love it.

• 6 lee, Malaysia // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM

he is a shit player.!! Put it this way, he is small, friable to any aerial challenge and poor in defence. Arsenal , Man U n Liverpool wouldnt have him in their starting 11. Maybe he can be our full time squad player rather than starting games. I am sick of him. I hate him the most in the Black n White shirt. Looks like Big Fat Sam doesnt learn things fast. SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 7 Bill F // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I think we can put Lee down as a not sure then. :)

• 8 Obafan // Nov 14, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Emre is a quality player. He needs to get the ball more often for us so he can control the game with his fantastic passing skills.

Hope BS gives him that confidence to build up his game, because we need Emre in the middle of the park.

• 9 Ross // Nov 14, 2007 at 5:29 PM

lee, are you watching the same team?
    emre is an excellent player. on his day he has bags of skill, and can score goals from midfield.
    maybe arsenal man u or liverpool wouldnt have him starting, but when you’ve got fabregas, hargreaves/carrick/anderson (im not mad keen on carrick however) or steven gerrard in your team, he wouldnt really be needed.
    he’s an attacking midfielder who plays the ball on the ground. he’s not there to win the ball in the air. yes he’s small and quick, and thats a trouble for most defenders, considering how good he is with the ball at his feet.

• 10 Alex // Nov 14, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Cant wait till both Emre and barton are fully fit and in top form in the central midfield positions.We will then have a midfield duo that can create chances and entertain.Add to that a fully fit Duff and Nzogbia on the wings and the days of the long ball will be in the past.At least that what i hope.

• 11 kenneth // Nov 14, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Go Norway!!!!

• 12 malaysian youngster // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:01 PM

emre is one of my favourite player of newcastle and martins too. i think emre enjoy play under roeder more than big sam.i still remember the way he play against chelsea. pure class so tenacious and yet productive.i miss old emre. please start emre every game. maybe give him some motivation first.

previous post: LMA’s Barnwell Defends Big Sam