The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Stephen Carr Retires From Ireland

1:50 pm, Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Newcastle right-back Stephen Carr, who is returning from injury, has just announced for the second time, his retirement from international football with Ireland.

The 31-year-old Dublin born player has represented his country a total of 44 times (no goals) since making his debut against Sweden in 1999.

Stephen has played over 70 times for Newcastle, and played over 220 games for his former club, Tottenham Hotspur.

stephen-carr_nufc_profile_2007.jpg

Stephen Carr - has decided to retire again from the Ireland team

Ireland have of course failed to qualify for next summer’s European Championships, after also failing to qualify for last year’s World Cup in Germany. Stephen has decided to call time again on his international playing days. Stephen had announced his retirement after last year’s World Cup qualification games, but then changed his mind.

Carr spoke today to the official Newcastle web-site nufc.co.uk today, of his pride at having represented his country so many times, but now believes it’s time to step aside and let young Irish talent come through the ranks.

Stephen said:

“I feel honored to have represented the Republic of Ireland on 44 occasions and have thoroughly enjoyed my International career,”

“It’s a chance now for the FAI to re-build for the future.”

“There are many good young players that are coming out of Ireland with the likes of Kevin Foley at Wolves that should get the opportunity to play now.”

Stephen’s represented his country very well, which has to be a great honor for any player. His contract runs out at Newcastle in June of next year, and we don’t expect Big Sam to renew Stephen’s contract.

Tags: International News · Newcastle News

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 sirjasontoon // Nov 14, 2007 at 2:34 PM

I would like to kick off the comments on this article by saying hopefully he will retire from the newcastle squad soon too.
    Proper waste of Space and Money…get rid.

• 2 yet_another_indian_toon // Nov 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Carr a “Proper waste of Space and Money”?? Couldn’t agree with you more mate! ;-)

• 3 sirjasontoon // Nov 14, 2007 at 2:54 PM

yet_another_indian_toon
    cheers fella :)

• 4 Ed Harrison // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:07 PM

We’re pretty sure Stephen will not be here by the end of January – maybe we can get a little bit for him before his contract runs out in June – same thing for Babayaro – who now has a sore back. They just don’t contribute to the squad enough – and he we can bring better players (much better) in January.
    Would like to see Mike give Big Sam what he wants in terms of transfer fees, whatever that is. Probably not too many good players available in January.

• 5 sirjasontoon // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:12 PM

If I was Ashley and Mort ,
    Sam would get no money in January..he still doesn’t know his best 11 and can not manage top players.
    If he buys more players he will only confuse himself even more…the only money the chairman will be spending is the Taxi fare from Newcastle back to Bolton for Sam.

• 6 RAHUL // Nov 14, 2007 at 3:50 PM

anybody from india if yes where

• 7 Bill F // Nov 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM

SirJay, harsh but theres a lot of sense in what you say. We do still need some players better than the OAPs we have. imo.

• 8 Leo // Nov 14, 2007 at 4:09 PM

sirjason i thort he had already retired from playing for newcastle lmao haha

• 9 Leo // Nov 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM

we can only wish though

• 10 Craig Allen // Nov 14, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Maybe we should buy Kevin Foley and replace Steven and see how he feels about that “natural succession” ? lol

• 11 Bill f // Nov 14, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Not if Carr is keeping him out of the Irish team. ;)

• 12 Sinead // Nov 14, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Please, Carr he wouldn’t have even got onto the team now, maybe for the Welsh match cause there are so many pull outs, but with a full team I doubt he’d get on to the bench, something tells me though that he’ll come back strong for a couple of matches with Newcastle and then drop off.

• 13 Hammy // Nov 14, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Bumped into Carr on Northumberland Street…he had a bag full of those Greggs sausage and bean melts……I’m going to start calling him Homer……
    swweeeeeetttttttt (fingers wiggling)

• 14 Bill f // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Hammy, be fair, it could be part of the scientific diet prescribed by Sam. Possibly needs to build up his lard levels.

• 15 Bill f // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:06 AM

Don’t know if any one else has noticed it but comments posted are being shown as an hour later then the post. My last one was midnight British time not 1 am.

• 16 Bill f // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Just had a thought, that wasn’t Carr who had his picture taken with Ashley was it.

• 17 Leo // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:19 AM

haha, i see what you mean, its 0.16 local time, america its mostly 19.15pm

haha bill carr and ashley popping down to greggs together, discussing contract negotiations, carr wants two cornish 4 sausage rolls and a packet of pork scratchings an hour otherwise he will STAY

• 18 Leo // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:20 AM

i didnt mean bill, carr and ashley

i meant haha bill.

carr and ashley….

• 19 Leo // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:21 AM

he also wanted the key to the drinks cabinet at st james park. but alardyce put his foot down stating that alcohol would stunt his growth hahaha

• 20 Eamonn // Nov 15, 2007 at 8:40 AM

Remember just before Carr signed and Freddie was dropping hints like “we are going for a new engine” or “we need a player to drive us forward” Good old Freddie, sometimes I almost miss him!

• 21 big pea ov the weab // Nov 15, 2007 at 9:49 AM

carr u should just retire altogether u twat

• 22 Rob kirton // Nov 15, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Eamonn: Had to laugh when you say Freddy Shepherd said “we are going for a new engine”. I had always nicknamed Shepherd “The Fat Controller” as in Thomas the Tank Engine stories. My worst suspicions seem to have proved to be true…

• 23 Bill f // Nov 15, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Cheers leo, you wouldn’t catch me stuffing that rubbish into my mouth I respect my body to much. I’m still in very good shape for my age and my ambition is to do a triathalon in the next couple of years. With his apparent lifestyle I could’nt see Carr doing that.

• 24 Leo // Nov 15, 2007 at 12:18 PM

i eat it every couple weeks, well if im out and bout and cant see a good sandwich shop like baps but im still ticking at a young age so maybe i will stop eating it when im older, but my excuse is ive got shares in greggs and its a northern company so i will support their (and carrs) cause

• 25 Bill f // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I to admit to my share of pies as a younger man, and even the odd lapse now and again. Providing they are not full of the crap that goes into some, they are’nt really bad for you. I would’n’t recommend them as a daily diet though.

• 26 Chris M // Nov 15, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Northern Rock are a northeast company but i’m not about to go and get a mortgage with them…..even if me ma works for them.I think you’ll find out that Greggs is a Mackem company which started in Sunderland……boo.

We should be heading to’Superpies’ on Coatsworth Road in Gateshead…..fooking champion.

• 27 Chris M // Nov 15, 2007 at 2:18 PM

P.S get rid of Carr, but if nee one wants to spend the typoe of money we would be happy with then keep him till the end of the season as cover. We are not about to spend big in January and be able to get a LB, RB, CB, RM and a CF.

• 28 Rob kirton // Nov 15, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Chris M: Please do not slur the good name of the company that used to be called Greggs of GOSFORTH. I used to live over the tracks from their bakery.

• 29 Chris M // Nov 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Rob – forgive me if i am wrong dear boy. Always thought tehy were a wearside based firm.

Still not as good a Superpie though!!!!!

Hey i should be asking for advertisment money here likes.

• 30 Leo // Nov 16, 2007 at 12:35 AM

chris dont write something if you have not a clue what you are talking about, greggs- gosforth based company.

• 31 Bill f // Nov 16, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Leo do you mean the other 95% of us as well, cos I hav’nt a clue what I’m talking about most of the time. :)

• 32 Leo // Nov 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM

haha, im sure you dont

well some people seem to know what they are talking about, one big example would be tom toon, he is either very lucky and just plays on youtube and champ manager all day, or he knows his stuff

previous post: Roy Keane Talks a Lot of Sense