Can Newcastle beat Liverpool?

The absence of Owen, Taylor and Faye may worry some fans but looking at the league table, recent form of both Newcastle and Liverpool, it’s not inconceivable that Newcastle beat Liverpool.

Let’s compare the two sides.

Newcastle have had problems in defense (what’s new?) and these problems are now exacerbated by the injury to Taylor. The last home game was an embarrassment, with Pompey overwhelming the Geordies 4-1 in a game where little went right for Newcastle. The two away games either side of the Pompey game were nothing to write home about either, Newcastle losing to Reading and drawing (after being second-best) to Sunderland.

Form-wise, Newcastle have dipped. However, consider that Newcastle have historically been able to raise their game when it comes to facing the big sides (last season’s games against Chelsea and Manchester United come to mind) and you would expect at least a draw from Newcastle at this stage of the season. Add to this the fact that in Martins they have a player capable of turning a game on its head and in N’Zogbia they have the creative talent to win games, and if Liverpool were not in top form they could be in a spot of serious bother.

Newcastle trail Liverpool by 6 points, a nothing difference if you consider how Newcastle have vastly under-performed in their last two away games.

And what of Liverpool’s form? An away win against Everton apart, Liverpool have made a habit of drawing games (beating Fulham 2-0 at home is routine, nothing extraordinary). They made a meal of their away game against Blackburn, and now they’ll have, on its day, an equally difficult opponent to deal with.

The big thing counting against Liverpool is captain Steven Gerrard’s form. He’s been little more than useless for England recently, and while people may argue that it’s the fixture glut taking it’s toll on the scouser it’s also a point to note that Gerrard’s form, like Liverpool, has slumped. They’re also missing Pennant, Benayoun and Alonso, which will sap Liverpool’s already limited creative talents.

I don’t expect Liverpool or Newcastle to keep a clean sheet on the weekend. With goals definitely in the offing, it’s a question of who can score more. Gerry quotes the odds at 17/10 for a Liverpool win but I’m plumping for a draw at least, possibly a Newcastle win.

Questions:

1) Newcastle v Liverpool – who will win and why?

2) Expected Newcastle starting lineup?

I’ll set up a match discussion post tomorrow so we can chat during the game – for now, let us know your thoughts on the two questions above.

• Rich

Nov 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Im going for a 2-1 win for us! I think itl be an open, entertaining game with goals! i expect Martins to grab us a winner. I think if Taylor and Cacapa are def out we should go with

Harper
    Geremi Beye Rozenthal Enrique
    Milner Barton Emre N Zogbia
    Martins Viduka

Subs: Harper, Smith, Ameobi, Edgar, Butt

Think we need to feild an attacking line up, making the most of emre

• Bjergvehn

Nov 23, 2007 at 1:39 PM

I’m trying to be optimistic but seeing the Sunderland and pompay games makes it very very hard, to say the least. ..

I’m going for a 2-2. Zog and Oba the scorers.

Harper
    Geremi – Beye – Rozy – Enrique
    Milner – Butt – Emre – Zog
    Oba – Duke

• Nathan

Nov 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM

If we play the same tactics we have been playign expect Pompey x 2

• freddie

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM

England form aside Gerrard has scored 5 goals in the last 6 games – if that’s poor I hope he can carry on like that for the rest of the season. Our defence has conceded just 6 goals so far this season and our away form is the best in the league. Torres back up front and with Crouch on a run of form it seems very unlikely Newcastle’s makeshift defence will be able to keep a clean sheet – if we score first it’ll be game over.

• Espen

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM

I totally agree with that lineup, except from me thinking that it would be better to play Given than having two Harper’s in the squad;-) Defensive crisis?! Where? This is the best defence in ages, if we had this defense 3-4 years ago we could have won the league!

• Espen

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM

• Espen

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM

• MattyDread

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM

I think Gerard’s going to have a blinder. He’s been in crap form but now he’s playing against us…

• Brisbane Mag

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I’m going for a draw although Newcastle always play better against the the top-4 sides.

I’ll be in the Pig-N-Whistle, Brisbane watching the game live and hoping we can win against the scousers………..

• Steve

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM

We can beat Liverpool, hopefully Rafa will rotate his squad and leave Gerrard, Torres out.
    If (and its a big IF) Viduka, Barton, Roze,. Zog, Oba and milner are at the top of their games we can walk this one – if not pompey x 4 🙁

c’mon the toon

@kash – if you dont like this site then don’t visit it ( Ahmeds doing a good job – and now we have this site and Ed’s where we can comment on stories so everyones a winner )

• bowsie

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I’m sorry I liked Ed and he was a nice guy but he never provided any sort of analysis. The writing since Ed left has vastly improved.

Great job whomever’s taken over the writing. I enjoyed the article a lot. I had grown tired of Ed’s “Newcastle player says something good: We think he is great” brand of “watching-paint-dry” commentary. Much improved, good job.

• Deanoy

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Newcastle 2 – Liverpool 0
    [1 from viduka(head) and martins(feet)]

Starting 11

Harper
    Geremi, Beye, Rozehnal, NZogbia
    Milner, Barton, Smith, Emre
    Viduka, Martins

Sub: Forster, Butt, Ameobi, Enrique, Edgar

• bowsie

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:32 PM

The Torres effect is probably more important than that of Gerrard. They have looked a much more imaginative side with him as their focal point of attack. They have more options for playing through the middle and with the ball on the ground where they have looked strongest this season.

I think Liverpool will win this simply because of Torres’ return to the line-up coupled with our defensive problems. A lot will rely on how Viduka/Martins/N’Zogbia link up. I think N’Zogbia’s our most influential player by a good distance and if he shines we have a chance. If he doesn’t we are looking at losing or a dull draw.

• indian toon

Nov 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM

id be happy with a draw.

• nobody

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM

interesting to see a non-NUFC fan write articles about NUFC. This site is not the same anymore.

• Ahmed Bilal

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:04 PM

thanks for the compliment bowsie, much appreciated

• Leo

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:07 PM

bowsie lot of people liked Eds’ optimistic writing, i am slowly getting used to the new guys way of writing, there is no problem with two sites running at the same time, everyone wins, if you want Eds then use http://www.nufcsite.com and if you want this one use this one, dont go slagging off other writers though that aint good crac.

i think we can win this one, if we get lucky. but we never really are that lucky.

milner has to be back on form, on the right, and nzogbia on the left.

• Ahmed Bilal

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I agree, Torres is the second super-star in the lineup and more of a team player IMO.

Problem is, who’s going to feed Torres?

• bowsie

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Leo – don’t get me wrong I’m not slagging anyone off, especially not Ed I benefited from the work he did every day. But expressing a preference is not abusing Ed.

As for the optimistic approach, I like optimism as much as the next half glass full but I want to read something that interests me. Most of Ed’s articles were completely pointless – I have to say it’s a style I didn’t care for.

That’s not slagging someone off, it’s expressing a preference. It is OK to actually give an opinion from time to time, doesn’t make you mean.

• Brad Mitchell

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I’m saying a 1-1 draw. I have a feeling Sam will play defensive and hold out for a draw, but Martins will make a big play like always and get a goal for us.

——–Given———
    Beye———–Enrique
    ——Butt—————
    ————Barton——
    Milner————N’zog
    —-Vid——–Oba——

• Brad Mitchell

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Kind of forgot to put the CB’s in my formation, there I say Faye and Rozzy.

• scott 9

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM

i agree with that line up but i would probably put butt in thew midfield as i think we need some protection of the back four

• Leo

Nov 23, 2007 at 3:22 PM

stating that his articles were pointless… thats slagging off, i get your point though.

• Jay

Nov 23, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Kash…..jog on!!!

Newcastle 2 – 2 Liverpool, Martins to score first and Torres to score last!
    Or if we start to play real footie and Barton wakes up then 3-1 to us with Joey bagging his first!! Line up looks likely but i thought the man Given was back??

• Brian

Nov 23, 2007 at 5:29 PM

If Benites starts with babel, Kewell, Torres and Kuyt i cant see Newcastles defence cope with this. Gerrard is okay not in super form but it will come.

• Jay

Nov 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Kewell?? I’ll give you the other 3 but not sure on Banana feet!!
    Newcastle Utd…….keep the faith!! 🙂

• indian toon

Nov 24, 2007 at 12:05 AM

liverpool’s away form has been the best of the seson out of the 6 games they hav drawn 2 , won 4 and haven lost yet.

• mike guellard

Nov 24, 2007 at 1:31 AM

i’m going for a score draw – possibly 2-2.

i’d hope to see the following xi:

given
    beye cacapa rozehnal enrigue
    milner butt geremi n’zogbia
    viduke martins

• Jeff from Malaysia

Nov 24, 2007 at 6:12 AM

Newcastle United will WIN tonight.

Why? Just because I’m a Toon’s fans, that’s why…

• yet_another_indian_toon

Nov 24, 2007 at 6:32 AM

The match will be won/lost when Sam puts down his team….

Will be gutted if he doesnt play either of Zog, Milner, Emre.
    Will be disappointed if he continues to play players out of position (and the player, in return, running around like headless chickens).

A blessing in disguise that Owen is injured? IMHO, yes!!!

• Mal

Nov 24, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Whether we win depends as much on the tactics as the personnel. If we get stuck in from the off and pressurise them then we can win. If we adopt the tactics of recent weeks and sit back trying to get a 0 0 draw then we will be played off the park. Bearing in mind the injuries (I’m assuming taylor and capacco are unfit) my team would be
    Shay, geremi, roz, beye, the bull; milner, butt, barton, zog; viduka, martins.
    I think it will be tight – hopefully 2 1 to the toon.