The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cacapa – I Did Not Play Well Against Pompey

10:15 am, Thursday, November 29th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

We assume Claudio Cacapa had his worst 11 minutes of football ever against Portsmouth when he was responsible for 2 of the 3 goals Newcastle conceded in that time.

Big Sam then took the right decision and hauled the Brazilian out of the game after just 17 minutes and put David Rozehnal in his place. We will never forget seeing the poor Cacapa trudging off, knowing full well what he had done. Lost the game for Newcastle United.

claudio-cacapa-345.jpg

Claudio Cacapa – played against Pompey with slight hamstring injury

But Cacapa before that game looked a good player and we suspected at the time he may have been carrying a bit of an injury, which would at least explain some of his poor defending.

Cacapa talked to the Evening Chronicle yesterday afternoon:

“If the truth was known I should not have played against Portsmouth because I had a bit of hamstring trouble.” “After the way we had lost at Reading after doing so well against Everton and Spurs I was desperate to get out there against Portsmouth.”

“What is particularly annoying for me is the fact I have played against Benjani a lot of times in the past and I have always done well against him.” “I did not do well that day. You know, there is a saying in football that you do not become a bad player after just one game.”

“Well, I aim to show people I have not become a bad player after just 17 minutes.”

There’s not much else Cacapa can really say but those are still good words from the Brazilian. But, he will now have to show the Newcastle fans he is the player we once thought he was. And he has to realize that you cannot carry injuries in the Premiership, another learning experience for him. You may be able to get away with it in some of the other European Leagues, but not in England, where the physical demands on a player are great.

It’s not too long, less than 5 weeks, before we will lose the services of the African corp. of Newcastle’s squad, Faye, Geremi, Habib Beye and Oba Martins to the African Nations Cup, so it’s important that Cacapa is introduced back into the fold fairly quickly. We really hope he can put the Pompey game behind him, because Newcastle need a few heroes right now, to turn the current gloomy situation around.

A win at Blackburn can lift the gloom on Saturday, but we’d be surprised if Cacapa starts that game. We’re glad he’s back, and he does seem to have an excellent attitude. A few sterling games at the back for Newcastle in December is needed though, to convince the fans he’s the real deal.

What do you think? Let us know your thought and opinions on Newcastle and Claudio Caçapa. Just keep the language fairly decent. Thanks.

Tags: Claudio Cacapa · Newcastle News

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 ChrisL // Nov 29, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Reply to Cacapa:
    No shit Sherlock :-)

• 2 Bill f // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:04 AM

On one hand he is a pratt for playing with an injury. On the other it shows the sort of committment to the team that is needed at the moment. You got to love the guy for trying.

• 3 ChrisL // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM

You’re spot on Bill. I think that a fit Cacapa will continue to be of benefit to the team.

• 4 adaaaam // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:18 AM

cacapa-

“I won some titles in France and I hope it will be the same here – the fans deserve it. There are 50,000 for each match.

“I am not a mercenary – I am keen to stay here for three years. I want to enter the club’s history.

“I made a decision to leave Lyon and I have no regret. Newcastle have trusted me.”

- good lad

• 5 Hadrian // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:31 AM

guy needs our support again . he’s held his hands up now its time to forget and move on.

• 6 true // Nov 29, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I would and will prefer to see his talking on the pitch. Everyone has bad games he just had the mother of them just move on roll your sleves up and get stuck in.

• 7 Jay // Nov 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

To Cacapa – ummmmmmm yep you were and my one legged mother would have played better!

Sort your shit out!!!

• 8 shearyadi // Nov 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Ok, we’ll look forward for his next action against Blackburn :)

• 9 Stamford Toon // Nov 29, 2007 at 2:08 PM

It is wrong to judge Cacapa on one game. It is also wrong to say that he alone was responsible for the two goals. Where was the cover from the rest of the defence? Prior to that game he had been our best defender and I am looking forward to having him back in the team. BS will also be looking forward to having a fully fit team of defenders to choose from. So many supporters made no allowances for BS with injury problems when facing Liverpool.

• 10 Jay // Nov 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Cover from the rest of the defence???…….that’s the Goal keeper when you play CB….unless we were playing sweeper?? He was to blame for goals 2 and 3!!

World class ex french championship team member should do better agaist a bunch of no body’s form f**k know’s where???

He needs to shake it off and dig in…..he is a great player but he f&*((ked up badly……..and at least he understands it!!

Role on Blackburn!!!! woop woop!

• 11 Lord Nelson // Nov 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Give Pompey credit!

They came with a game plan and ruthlessly exposed Newcastle. It could have been worse even after he had gone off with Rozehnal guilty of handball whilst it was still 0-3!

Pompey are a very good side and have beaten better sides than us away already this season!

It shows how far we must go to catch up.
    Even Shearer said he thought they were the most likely side to break into the top 4 before the season even started.

Lets be honest, if we had played that game that day with the enormous team they have we would be very very happy and raving about our team.

Having 50000 fans a game is something Pompey can only dream about but right now we can only dream about the football they play!

There fans were very vocal as well!

I say fair play to them. Cacapa will come again and lets put it down to meeting them on the wrong day.

If anything, team selection was puzzling with everything congested into the middle third making it easy for Campbell and Distin!

• 12 scott 9 // Nov 29, 2007 at 6:35 PM

cacapa is a top quality defender we will need him this season him and faye can form a great partnership 9n my opinion

• 13 Leo // Nov 29, 2007 at 6:49 PM

fair do’s to him for apologising and explaining, although it didnt need explaining alot of people realises that he didnt know a little niggle would have affected the game so much

previous post: Sam Thanks The Amazing Newcastle Fans