The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sam Gets On With The Job

5:15 pm, Thursday, November 29th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Sam Allardyce gave an interview today on his position at the club, and says at least for the moment he believes his job is safe. With 8 games to come in the next 33 days starting on Saturday at Blackburn, there will be lots of games through the end of the year.

We hope Sam and his players can turn the tide and if we can be in a reasonable position in the league by new year, we can push on from there, and in that case we think Sam will be given ample funds to bring in new players.

sam-allardyce-41.jpg

Sam Allardyce – getting on with the job at hand

This is what Sam said today about his situation at the Newcastle club:

“I believe there will be no knee jerk reaction from my bosses,” “They are very stable and very supportive and I hope that remains the case.”

“My position is safe if I get results; my position is not safe if I lose football matches.” “It’s the same anywhere. But when you take over a club it’s generally not in good condition – that’s why you got the job.”

All managers of course are in the results business, and once you get one or two defeats in a row fans, and the media will inevitably talk about the manager being close to the sack. That’s part of the job, but it cannot be easy for Sam this week, given some of the abuse he was clearly seen to get from the fans in the dugout on Saturday. Sam went on:

“You get less and less time to do that job now and it puts huge and extra pressure on all of us,” “There is an impatience and a desire for success around the place,” he agreed. “That impatience was shown against Liverpool but I’m not surprised and we deserved it.”

“At the end of the day it (the crowd abuse) won’t help but we’ve just got to take it on the chin. This is Newcastle and I knew what would be coming if I did not get results and performances right.”

Sam switched to talk about transfer funds in January and said he hasn’t even had a conversation yet with Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort about the subject. However Sam knows they will need to sit down and talk soon, to plan what needs to be accomplished during the January window.

“I don’t have to persuade him (to release funds) because we haven’t had that conversation yet,” “We need to decide in the near future what we’re going to do in January and make decisions. We need to talk it through when we get an opportunity.”

“For a manager like me there is never enough strength in depth, you will never be satisfied with it at a club this size and we will have players away at the African Nations in January.”

Then when asked if he has talked to the Newcastle Chairman or Owner on whether his job is safe Sam had a quick and strong reaction:

“Why should I do that?” “Just because someone writes it (he is in danger of the sack) in the papers I should not be chasing the chairman or the owner to seek assurances over my position.”

It’s far too early to talk about sacking Sam Allardyce. All we need in the next few games are a couple of good results and things will look immediately brighter. 18 points from our first 13 games isn’t great, but it’s hardly worth sacking the manager over. Especially when he has just brought in lots of new players and staff. We should see how things go, at least until the end of the year, and let Sam get on with the job. That seems to be what Sam’s doing, in any case.

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dirk // Nov 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM

should not sack sam would b a huge mistake, hes only failed at 1 club before in his career and even then his results were very good.

• 2 Leo // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM

dont think he will be sacked even if we loose are next two games then get a draw. give sam time and support and it will come good im sure of it.

• 3 wsq // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:10 PM

anyone has had a look at training ground pictures today will notice Martin’s top is numbered 40!

Does this mean we are getting a new number 9? haha woo

For the past 5 years I’ve been saying Torres should replace Shearer, now he’s at liverpool, just shows if i was the owner of NUFC we could be champions. Tough luck. If we had built on the success of bobby robson and keegan properly, we wouldn’t be in this position.

• 4 ToonKing // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:14 PM

i think Torres might have had a word in the transfer wsq…………

We have to stop making these ridiculous connections to guys like Ronaldinho, Kaka, Messi, Torres and so on…………..it’s about time we discover some talents.

• 5 Bill f // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:14 PM

It dismays me somewhat to hear him saying he hasn’t been talking to Ashley and Mort about funding for new players. He should have any new players firmly in his sights with negotiations already underway. Not be leaving everything to a January panic (yet again)

Or is he just being cagey, mmmmmm.

• 6 Bill f // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Just a thought Ed, but perhaps you should run a blog where we all send off our wish list to Santa for the players we want in Sams stocking. I have seven in mind. Be interesting to see if there is any sort of consensus.

• 7 wsq // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM

torres was talent 5 years ago. no one did anything about it.

• 8 toonbully // Nov 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Toon king is spot on , like I said in previous blog , we have to scout well and buy not so recognised players . Players that play at No 8 ,9 or 10 in a 2nd XI French Premier is worth watching . The french have flair and we have had some excellent frenchies in the past as has arsene , Ginola , Robert etc …. Sam get yer scouts out on the French roads over Chrimbo January window is coming all too soon !!

• 9 wsq // Nov 29, 2007 at 8:10 PM

• 10 wsq // Nov 29, 2007 at 8:10 PM

I say sort out the football first start winning. No talent wants to be in a losing team. It’s not good for youngsters anyway. Jon beresford’s comments recently are spot on!

• 11 Dave // Nov 29, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Bill F: I don’t think for a minute that Sam hasn’t talked about transfer funds for Jan 08. I, like you suggested, think he’s just being cagey.

At this stage I have to beleive that they all know what they are doing and all will be well by mid Jan…..I have to beleive this or I’d go insane with worry :-)

• 12 steve // Nov 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM

wsq – spot on – nobody decent is gonna want to join a team in bottom half of table, if they’re any good they’ll have better options than to join our bunch of cr@p

• 13 steve c // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:19 PM

You dont always need to spend huge amounts of money to get quality, just look at Wenger. He knows the French market so well. BSA is supposedly trying to expand our scouting network so that we can capture young talent wherever it is. Lets give him a chance and get off his back, because if he is sacked who would want to manage our club, If they think they would only get 13 matches to prove themselves.
    We have waited this long for success surely we can wait a few more years. Come on you fellow Geordies by booing the team and constantly getting on their backs your helping no one, F***cking grow up.

• 14 adam // Nov 30, 2007 at 1:00 AM

our game against blackburn is going to be great. they got thumped in their last game even though they played ok, and we are on a terrible run. bigger game for us but it wont be easy, but i would be happy with a draw.

big sam knows that he has to get at least 10 points before january, because anything less is crap and he should own up that its too difficult for him.

• 15 Victor Meldru // Nov 30, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Patience, bl**dy patience, you’ve got to be joking.

Who are you telling to fu**kng grow up. I am bl**dy grown and have been patient for over 50 years.

I don’t believe it, some bl**dy kid telling me to grow up. I want some success before I’m shoved off to some old b**gers home to rot and am to senile to appreciate a halfway decent team.

That fat b*stard had better deliver soon or I’ll be getting out my specially sharpened flase teeth and biting his a*se. Never mind giving him more time. F*cking grow up indeed, I don’t believe it.!!!

• 16 ssdd // Nov 30, 2007 at 1:55 AM

how would torres want to join us five years ago?
    he still had a lot to learn at his our country, club( not quite a small club)
    and would his club let him go?

• 17 dingo // Nov 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM

if its true that Oba shirt number has changed from 9 to 40 then I would expect Berbatov to be comming in Jan…. however untill I get a proper confirmation of this (i.e. playing a match as 40) then Ill not hold my breath. Actually come to think of it I dont think they have thier numbers at training?!…

the real test has just started for NUFC as Liverpool showed us last weekend. Hunker down lads its gonna be a cold winter.

• 18 steve c // Nov 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Victor caalm down you will give yourself a heart attack. By the way i am not akid actually i am 50 and was at the first leg of the Fairs cup final
    the last time we won anything. Iknow about patience. But if we keep on sacking managers we will never get any where.

• 19 Victor Meldru // Nov 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Well you are a kid to me, and I have just had a glass of a fortifying sedative (several very strong glasses in fact) and am feeling calmer. And I remember our last real success at Wembley, although it was highlights on newsreel at the pictures.

I am happy to see that fat kid continue as manager but would like like to see real evidence that he is getting somewhere, he looks a little lost at the moment.

Sorry I went of at you lad, but it’s hard not to be grumpy at present.

• 20 steve c // Nov 30, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Victor no problem you love the Toon and we all feel like that especially whenBSA doesnt play people in their best positions. But at the end of the day wedont have Fat Fred or that T##t hall screwing every penny out of the club. We have an owner who seems to be a supporter and a steady guy in Mort. We will rise again.
    TOON TOON

• 21 Joe // Nov 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM

It does make me wonder; with all this negativity from certain fans whether there was a simliar response to Sir Bobby when he first came to the club and struggled to break into the top half of the table for two seasons…and Sir Bobby did quite a good job after that didn’t he!

My point is, if NUFC fans call for a sacking during a slump we’ll never improve as a club. I agree with Pedro, each new manager needs time. I will be upset if we don’t get into the top half of the table this season, but I’ll be patient coz I know next season will be a great one…a return to the times of Bobby!

previous post: Newcastle Show Interest in Alves