The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Irishman’s Horrendous Injury

2:07 am, Friday, November 30th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

It’s being reported today that Damien’s Duff foot injury was a lot worse than people first thought and even the surgeon who operated on him way back in April had not seen this kind of injury to a footballer before.

Damien has opened up to Newcastle World TV today to talk about the injury which has kept him out almost 8 months.

damien-duff-88.jpg

Damien Duff - horrendous ankle injury

Damien said today:

“It was devastating,” “You should have seen me when I first found out in the surgeon’s office, I broke down in tears.”

“It was a dislocation in the middle of my foot and the surgeon said he had never seen it on a footballer before and that was a shock.”

Duff of course returned last week to full training with the team but he will not be rushed back too quickly into first team action. That seems a wise decision by the medical staff. He’ll probably have some reserve team games but then maybe towards the end of the year he should be challenging for a place on one of the wings.

Duff went on:

“It’s great to be back training with the lads and I’ve started my second week,” “You take things for granted and being out for so long has made me appreciate things an awful lot more.”

“It’s too soon to pin-point a game. I was the only footballer to ever get it.” “It’s a case of taking things one day at a time because I’ve had my foot up all summer.

“We’ll be looking at a couple of reserve games first but hopefully it won’t be too long before I’m back.”

We’re really pleased to have Damien Duff back in full training. We sometimes forget the important things in our fervour to have our team back to greatness again. But we’re pleased Duff has come through what looks like a very tough time. We’re sure he’ll get just a great reception from the fans when he finally returns to the first team. While we’re yet to see the best of the Irishman at Newcastle, let’s hope that when he comes back he’s as good as ever. We really need Damien at his best to break open those defenses for our strikers.

Welcome back Damien. :D

Tags: Damien Duff · Newcastle News

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 geordie_jordan // Nov 30, 2007 at 3:10 AM

ug. the way barton and everyone else who comes back from injury have performed, it will take damien til the end of the season to get fit. more doom and gloom from yours truly. sorry. :(

• 2 Daniel Petersen // Nov 30, 2007 at 4:34 AM

I’m so sick of the “doom and gloom” from Newcastle “fans”. I personally can’t wait until Damien is back. He gives the team more wide options and experience.

• 3 Toon Chicken // Nov 30, 2007 at 8:20 AM

It wasn’t as if he was playing well before he was injured either. Next…

• 4 Brisbane Mag // Nov 30, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Good news that he’s back training, but will take several months to get himself match fit…….

Hope he can return to the form he was in with Blackburn and Chelsea, as we’ve never seen it at Newcastle!

• 5 Jeff From Malaysia // Nov 30, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Welcome back Damien.

• 6 Bill f // Nov 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Damien wasn’t too bad playing in defence so his return could open up more options if he is still a bit slow in getting up to speed.

I agree with the comments that he hasn’t shown his best (as yet) but I’m sure he is willing and he is still a young man.

• 7 ToonKing // Nov 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Come on Duffy, were behind you 100%.

• 8 Leo // Nov 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM

we invent new injuries, our team had caught every other injury possible. so were making them up now.

jokes aside, good luck duff. cant wait till nzogbia and duff are competing finally.

previous post: Sam Gets On With The Job