Allardcye – I’m Indifferent to Criticism

Sam Allardyce has been talking again to the Newcastle Journal, and it appears like he thinks he has to defend himself once again, given the adverse criticism he has had to take these last few weeks.

The Newcastle fans were singing “you don’t know what you’re doing” last week in our terrible display against the Liverpool juggernaut, but hopefully the players will have learned from that display and will be much better in 5 hours time at Blackburn Rovers. We certainly hope so.

sam-allardyce-27.jpg

Sam Allardyce – says he’s indifferent to fans’ criticism

Sam talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“I’m not in this position because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’d never have got there in the first place (if I didn’t). I’m indifferent to criticism because I know what I’m doing. I’ve been doing it for 17 years as a manager, involved in all aspects of the game.”

“I’ve taken a long time to get here to a big club, longer than I’d have liked, so I’m not about to waste it by listening to outside influences. At end of the day, we’re still 11th in the table, two wins makes all the difference at this stage of the season.”

“Don’t tell me Newcastle, in previous years, have not gone through a season without winning one game in four.”

But Sam knows this is the kind of pressure he signed up for at Newcastle United, and he could quite easily have stayed at Bolton and not had the same kind of difficulties. But it’s the challenge of turning this huge Newcastle United club around that he wanted, and he’ll just have to take the good with the bad – and we know Sam is well aware of that.

He is trying to make Newcastle hard to beat as the first order of business, and the games in December will now start to come thick and fast.

Sam continued:

“It’s a big week coming up for us with Blackburn, Arsenal and Birmingham, they are three big games.” “We’ve made life more difficult for ourselves than we have at other stages of the season and it will be tough going to a place like Blackburn after our recent results and performances. We’ve worked a bit longer in training than we would normally, there’s been a lot to cover.”

“All the players have to do is each improve their own performances by a small percentage and, at the end of the day, you total them up and you’ve got a much better performance. Only a small improvement from each individual times 11 and you’re back on track.”

“Resilience is the order; being determined to not let the opposition do what they want to do. To stop them, we’re playing away from home. We’re in the business of results so you’ve got to stop the opposition. From that position, you then expose your own strength and try and expose their weaknesses.”

All good teams know how to shut other teams down, and play on their weaknesses, and that’s what Sam is trying to do at Newcastle. The last four games have not gone well, but we have some good individual players players at the club, and we certainly hope they can start to gel better, starting today. We need a solid display from the lads. A win would be great and a draw would be OK, as long as we play well and show some good form today.

Sam continued:

“We haven’t played like Bolton since I got here and we haven’t tried to. My long-term vision is to play like Manchester United or Arsenal, but to grow a club like that will take five to ten years and certainly not six months.”

“You can’t just build a team like that, it would cost £150m and that is not me sending a message to Mike Ashley, it’s just the way it is. Even if you spend £150m you couldn’t guarantee you would have a team like that.”

“We are doing the best we can. Even when we were winning games at the start of the season we were conceding too many goals and making too many mistakes, but the results hid them for a while. That is what we are working on and trying to improve.”

“The way the Premiership is, it’s far too great a task for players at a club like this to score three goals every game to win. We’ve got to work on our deficiencies and become more efficient.”

We hope the fans at the game today, some 6,000 of them, who have traveled to Blackburn, will support the team, whatever happens. Everybody at the club is right behind Sam right now, and of course he’s in a very difficult position, following four poor results. But let’s support the lads, and we just have to hope we can get some kind of result. We need a strong and resilient performance today. and we hope we get it.

Comments very welcome – but please keep them decent – many thanks.

• indian toon

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:13 AM

get the result today sam. and we will hav full faith in you for the rest of your tenure..

• yet_another_indan_toon

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

On the money, indian toon…

• yet_another_indan_toon

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:21 AM

BTW, wont it be less painful if I pull on a Blackburn jersey today…

If Blackburn lose, I will be overjoyed.
    If Blackburn win, I wont feel that disheartened :-p

Gawd, why did I fall in love with NUFC??? Why do I have to bear so much pain and disappointment on weekends???

C’mon NUFC!!!!

• indian toon

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:32 AM

thats the joy of supporting nufc… NUFC FOR LIFE!! welcome to nufc bro.

• Toony

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I ve just read Joey Bartons comments this morning and maybe he has a point about our fans getting on the players backs instead of getting behind them. What he does nt seem to realise is that when the players are earning tens of thousands of pounds each week and fans are paying about 5% of there hard earned cash to watch these millionaires play utter crap, is it any wonder we feel conned. We are all sick to death of non performers getting paid obscene amounts of money and this is not just at Newcastle its with the England team also. Too much money, too big on ego and not enough guts, passion or skill. The pressure and crowd baying for blood is the fault of the Premiership and it was only a matter of time until we woke up to the fact that these so called superstars would not be able to deliver.

Next season I may even give up my overpriced season ticket and watch one of the many local teams like Whitley Bay,North Shields or Gateshead or Blyth. Lets face it the entertainment value will be the same even if the quality isnt!!!!

• Rob Kirton

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:02 AM

From the article, I would disagree with the term “Liverpool Juggernaut”. Until we played last week they had scored as many league goals as ourselves and a Newcastle Victory would have put us within 2 points of them. Maybe having seen us last week it would have been better to describe us a the “Newcastle Reliant Robin”

RE: the pressure on Allardyce. It needs to be unrelenting. Maybe from the board if not the fans. If I was paying somebody millions of pounds a year to achieve particular results , I’d be making sure they performed damned well.

A good result today should not result in blindly backing Allardyce in the future. He needs to achieve a good set of results within a set time frame. It would be senseless to say two more games and then the sack. I’m sure he’ll be judged at the end of the season, unless of course he seems to be taking us down with the Boro and Sunderland in some form of unholy Tyne-Wear-Tees Treble; in which case his cards will be served sooner.

As a fact of life it is almost certain Allardyce is set for the sack. It is the life of a football manager. It is in his hands whether it is in 2 games, end of season, in 10 years. If he does what he is paid to do, i.e. get results, the rewards will follow.

• Toony

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I totally agree Rob!!!

The reason Keegan and Robson lasted longer than any of the rest was because they started getting it right from day 1 and had the backing of the fans because of that. Thats why they stayed so long and how they managed to build decent teams. This crap about we have to give Allardyce years to rebuild the team is nonsense if it doesnt start working by January I reckon he`ll be out on his considerably large arse!!!!!!

• Leo

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM

even if we dont get a result today i still will stick by alardyce

• Bill f

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Sam may very well be indifferent to criticism (I would doubt if he is) but the more important opinions are those of Ashley and Mort. Ashley is no sit in the boardroom supporter and I would bet he is taking on board all of the angst of the supporters.
    If Sams selections and tactics are still not showing results then boopower will have a very (and I don’t use this word as good thing) positive result on their thinking, with obvious results.

I don’t think you can afford to be indifferent Sam.
    If we are going to lose games and the fans will accept losses at this stage of your management then lets lose them positively, not like lambs to the slaughter.

• Rob Kirton

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Bill F: Spot on. Imagine if Ashley starts looking at the non financial balance sheet and does some digging around for the figures, and asks the following.

a) Are the fans happy with progress / style of play?
    b) Are the players happy with progress / style of play
    c) Am I happy with progress / style of play

It could be the 3 – 0 result Allardyce is dreading, not having been able to shore up his own defence.

• steve

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Bartons gone right down as a player in my estimation – he was always a right twat but now he’s a whinging twat who seems to have forgotten how to play and thinks it should be an honour for us to pay to watch him shuffle around the pitch when he can be arsed – sooner we put these prima donnas on performance related pay the better – at least we might see them put some effort in.

• Craig Allen

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Had to laugh; even John Beresford’s pleading for sanity (Zog and Milner on the wings) in that chronicle interview with Lee Ryder.