Sam Allardyce has made what to us looks like a rather dangerous move in saying the players he brought in during the summer were second or third choices, That’s because the premiership players he really wanted had already been taken.
We know Big Sam really wanted Sylvain Distin and Tal Ben Haim, and maybe a few more, but it seems a bit dangerous at this stage to label his charges only second or third choices.
Sam Allardyce – I brought in second or third choice players
We think it will depend on how Newcastle do in their games through the end of the year as to just how much transfer funds Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will budget for Allardyce. But Sam also says he is still discovering some of the weaknesses of his summer signings. That just cannot be sweet music to Ashley.
Letâ€™s take a look at exactly what Big Sam told the Sunday Sun yesterday:
â€œNo disrespect to the players we brought in, but we couldnâ€™t really get what we wanted on the first round in the summer transfer window. We ended in the second or third area.â€
â€œI was looking for more Premiership experience. When I lost the opportunity to get those players, it then became hugely difficult.â€
â€œI saw that for the first time against Liverpool last week. I said to myself: â€˜We are short defensively.â€™ Too many of our players at the moment are performing inconsistently.â€
Maybe Sam is trying to get the best out of the players he already has. But thereâ€™s no doubt about it, the players at the club right now will make or break Samâ€™s management career at Newcastle United. We still have 7 games to go before January 3rd and the results of those games have to determine Big Samâ€™s future at the club. We don’t think he’s out of the woods yet, although we do hope he can turn the team around soon.
What do you think? Let us know.
Comments very welcome.