Newcastle Fans Can Make Difference Against Gunners

Sam Allardyce seems upbeat after the good performance at Blackburn on Saturday but he regrets Newcastle couldn’t put more of the seemingly easy chances away, in the second half.

The upcoming game against Arsenal will be really tough, but the Newcastle faithful can help big time on Wednesday night.

sam-allardyce-432.jpg

Sam Allardyce – regrets not scoring more goals on Saturday

Joey Barton and Oba Martins both had chances that seemed a lot easier to score then miss, as they did in thr second half on Saturday.

Sam spoke to the Evening Chronicle today and bemoaned our lack of any luck during the second half:

“The most disappointing thing after all those chances is that we only scored one and ended up losing a game 3-1 we shouldn’t have lost.” “We have to be more ruthless. This is the Premier League. It will punish you, and it’s done so again.”

“We got in front with a great goal from a free-kick, and were about to go 2-0 up when the referee gave offside to Charles N’Zogbia when he was actually a yard onside.”

“They go up the other end immediately and it’s 1-1.” “From there on they came back and the next defining moment is our poor luck or finishing, whatever you want to call it.”

“There’s Oba’s header, and then there was Joey Barton. God knows how, but Brad Friedel’s got a foot to it.” “Then, of course, Bentley’s came up with another scorching goal.” “But we gave a very good performance, not just in stopping the opposition, but also in terms of our attacking play, which was excellent.

“We left ourselves open because we were so good. That’s the disappointing thing.” “We gave Blackburn an opportunity to break on us because we played so well and didn’t get that lead back again.”

While Arsenal will be a different matter than Blackburn, we’ll have to hope the 52,000 fans, who will be there as usual on Wednesday evening, can conjure up a miracle. Hopefully, we can get some kind of result against the Gunners that we so desperately need. But if anyone can produce a miracle – it’s the magnificent Newcastle fans – that’s for sure.

• Clouded

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:35 PM

I dont think there would be any shame in losing to Arsenal, as long as our team give it 100% all the way. Thats my opinion anyway, i think Arsenal will be too good for us anyway, especially with our leaky defense as it stands.

• steve

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:43 PM

yeah – I’ll be very surprised if we get anything from Arsenal game, think most fans expect a defeat but we’ll happily cheer the toon on if they put the effort and commitment in.

come on the toon

• lee

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:50 PM

i also think well be second favourites but if we can create a good atmosphere that will give our players a lift who knows what could happen the arsenal players are young so they probably havent experienced many great atmospheres and if the crowd can put pressure on the arsenal players and also give yhe newcastle players a lift then im sure we can come out with something
    p.s create an atmosphere we can be proud off

• Greg B

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Fans can make a difference can they? I was at Ewood on Saturday and sang my heart out for the lads, as did the other 6,000 or so, dressed as Elvis or half naked we got right behind the team and Allardyce.
    In my book thats what supporting your team is all about, cheering the lads on, having a good old sing song and creating an atmosphere that you can only get when you are there in the crowd, buying the tickets and the replica kit is only part of it.
    However its hard to get upbeat when the team is performing as we did at SJP last weekend. You can only do so much and when its clear that the players are looking at eachother and the manager as if to say “what the f**k do you want me to do” (as one particular player shouted to Allardyce last weekend) it has a negative effect on the fans.
    We pay our money to be entertained and when we are entertained we get behind the lads, when the lads show commitment and desire then it echoes into the stands however the same can be said for poor, cant be arsed performances, it rubs off on the fans who in turn cant be arsed to get behind the lads.
    Its wrong, I admit, to slag the team off, to boo the lads and to give them a hard time. They are our team, we by way of our support, pay their wages in effect. The players must realise that unlike a crap film we cant turn it off and watch a different one.
    Its a natural reaction to boo poor performances, it goes back to the Romans and before that, it lets the lads know we arent happy and it should have a possitive effect, the lads should step it up a gear, show a bit of pride in the shirt, give the fans something to cheer – even if we get beat, as long as the lads look interested, look together and show a bit of passion then the fans will get behind them as we did on Saturday at Ewood.

• Toon Goat

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:04 PM

The atmosphere won’t be the same against Arsenal because it’s at SJP! The fans that want to sing are scattered around the ground not concentrated in one place as they are in away matches – hence a poor home atmosphere. We need a singing section! (preferably the leazes end, like it used to be.)

• Alex Brett

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:16 PM

I Think the fans will get behind the team! If we concede early we still need to be behind them, I watched Man U’s game in the Champions League last week and when they went behind, their fans imediately cried out ‘United’ ‘United’ They ended up winning the game even though they didnt have to!!

Lets get behind the team, it will rub off on the players and they will realise we will back them through thick and thin!! as long as the commitment is there so will the fans be!!!

Howay The Lads!!!

• Alex Brett

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Toon Toon

• Gooner Ali

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:16 PM

One of ‘yer’ lot lives down here* near me. Nice ‘fella’ whom loves his ‘toon n all that’. We’ve been to see some footie together and played a few card nights.
    “May the best team win!”

*South

• admin

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Greg – this is Ed – thanks for the post – we saw you at the game – I thought it was actually Elvis come back from the dead 😀
    Thanks for supporting the lads.

• angry

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:36 PM

If we can produce that kind of game against blackburn for the rest of the season, we will be fine. But the fact is that it is rare that we able to play this way, so stop blaming on luck Allardyce, we are not any better since you arrived. Stop giving excuses. He has already finding himself excuses before Arsenal game.

By the way these Arsenal players may be young but not inexperience. They are CL players. But I would still cheer our teams on..

• rasberry

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:28 PM

sure the fans can help – any of them willing to play in defense?

• Leo

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:49 PM

we can make a difference, but will have to be the team that wins the game, doesnt matter how much we sing and support the team, if the lads go out and show no effort then there is the problem…

• goonerking

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM

We should be too strong for you despite being without Hleb, Van Persie and Fabregas, arguably our 3 best players. What you saw when we faced you in the Carling Cup is that our young reserves are eager to prove themselves. I suspect Diarra and Flamini will take the game by the scruff of the neck and win the midfield battle, and there are always going to be goals up for grabs the way youre defending.

• Leo

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:30 PM

whats your point gooner ali???

• Leo

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:32 PM

why are people getting soo badly on joey’s back. what about dyer bowyer woodgate, they are all thugs, but joey is different how? hmm

the difference with bowyer is that he may have done what joey did to dabo to dyer but didnt get the chance, nor was hard enough…

woodgate has a checkered past but no1 mentions that.

heck john terry went to jail… so its not just our little joey who is a naughty kid in the school

• Leo

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM

less of the gunner fans on hear please, go spout rubbish on your own blogs thank you

• Gooner Ali

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM

or this ….
    Results 1 – 10 of about 188,000 for newcastle united jokes …@ …
    There’s this little guy sitting inside a bar,with his Boro scarf on, just looking at his drink.

He stays like that for half an hour.

Then, this big dumb geordie steps next to him, takes the drink from the guy,and just drinks it all down.

The poor man starts crying.

The geordie says: “I was only joking man. Here, I’ll buy you another drink. I just can’t see a man crying.”

“No, it’s not that. Today day is the worst of my life. First, I overslept and was late to an important meeting. My boss, outraged, sacked me.

When I left the building to my car, I found out it was stolen. The police, they said they could do nothing. I got a cab to return home, and after I paid the cab driver and the cab had gone, I found that I left my wallet in the cab. I got home only to find my wife was with the gardener. I left home, went to the Boro game, we got beat 5-0 so I came to this bar. When I was thinking about putting an end to my life, you show up and drink my poison .

• ToonKing

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Two can play that game gooner.

1 – 10 din of about 924.000 for Arsenal Jokes 😉 we win.

Q: What is the difference between Arsenal and a cup of tea?
    A: The tea stays in the cup longer!
    ———————————————–
    How did you enjoy your holiday in Israel?’
    ‘Smashing!’
    ‘Did you visit the Wailing Wall?’
    ‘Yes – but I couldn’t get anyway near it for the Arsenal supporters!’
    ——————————————————–
    Q: Why did God make Arsenal supporters smelly?
    A: So blind people could laugh at them too!
    ———————————————————
    Q: What do you call 100 Arsnal supporters at the bottom of a cliff?
    A: A good start!
    ——————————————————–
    Q: What do you say to a Gunners supporter with a good looking bird on his arm?
    A: Nice tattoo
    ———————————————————
    Q: What do you call an Arsenal fan that does well on an IQ test?
    A: A cheat.

and for my finale, a very fitting one :

Q: Why do housewives love Arsenal?
    A: Because they stay on top for ages and come second!

😉

• Cockney Magpie

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:47 PM

love that last joke

• Gooner Ali

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:45 PM

“Ho ho ho!”

• scott 9

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

yes the lasts ones quality