Given and Harper Issue Newcastle Statement

Two of Newcastle United’s longest serving players, goalkeepers Shay Given and Steve Harper, issued a statement today, through the official Newcastle Web-site that we list below.

shay-given-and-steve-harper.gif

Steve Harper and Shay Given issue a statement today

This is the statement the veteran goalkeepers have just issued today.

Having seen an article in one of this morning’s national newspapers, we feel it is vitally important that Newcastle United’s two longest serving players set the record straight.The story that has appeared is total and utter nonsense.

Sam Allardyce has the full backing and support of every Newcastle United player and we are all working together as one to bring success to the football club.

At Newcastle United we have a player committee which is led by our captain Geremi, and which also includes James Milner, Mark Viduka and ourselves.

Many issues are openly discussed between players and the Manager, as is commonplace at any club.

Far from that being “player power” or any other ridiculous description, this is sensible and constructive communication and a key part of the process of helping to build a stronger football club which will take us forward.

It is fair to say both of us are absolutely furious at what we have read today. It is mischief-making of the highest order and appears designed to unsettle everyone on the eve of our big game against Arsenal on Wednesday night.

The tabloids have reported today that Sam Allardyce faces a players’ revolt, which is of course all made up trash. Since we’ve been writing this web-site for a short 7 months we’ve been amazed at some of the rubbish the tabloids seem to print. It’s always very mischevious stuff, aimed at disrupting things at the club. Of course we know from a papers’ mentality, bad news sells. But it’s just completely irresponsible drivel.

But we’re glad Steve and Shay have issued this statement – good for them.

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Great work guys… Quash the rumours, support Sam and call for club unity all in one well thought statement

• andyc290

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Well said – these two continue to be an absolute credit to Newcastle United. I think these kind of statements are definatly a good thing as the press speculation does affect the attitude of the fans toward the players and manager.

• STEPHEN14

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Both are top pros, even if they have had a few disagreements with what BSA is doing they are both far to profesinal to let it get out. They are both a credit to NUFC and I just wish more players behaved the same way.

• craig futers

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:01 AM

get on son, Sam needs time, we should stck by him

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Craig……your talking sense son…..it is gunna take time and we should all stand by our man Big Sam!!!!

• Karl Fenham Hustler

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:46 AM

*Craig, *Jay – absolutely agreed.. we’ve had worse slumps than this before, and if we just keep trying out new managers theres going to be absolutely no stability…
    Roma werent built in a day

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Karl your god dam right brother…….the job was for a five year plan, and if we keep moving and shaking the hotseat up then were gunn be like this for ever!!!

• Cyprus Mag

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Keeo FSA for 5 years and what will you get? Bolton upon Tyne. No thanks.

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Cyprus Mag… Im sorry but u dont know what ur talking about… We play nothing like Bolton. No matter how much u and any other fans dislike our selection, tacs and manager, u cannot compare us to Bolton in any way. Bolton usually frustrated teams by taking all the tembo out of the games by forcing set pieces all the time. They herassed using physical strengt and stopped other team from playing. If we have played like that, we would have more points on the board (considering we actually have the players for that style). But Sam is trying to build our side up by getting basics right one at the time, and he has said the long term goal is a style like Manure’s/Arsenals.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Oh God no not another vote of confidence, it just gets worse. 🙂

• Leo

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:39 PM

why are the newspapers so trying to dismantle our club, i dont read the newspaper anymore because it is too disturbing, they make me sick

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I don’t know, I think that ya they deny it but I still think that there’s unrest in the camp.

Sam was really snappy.

When he was asked about Given and 2 (apparently one being Harper and the other being Owen but the players variy from nearly every different source, the only name that stays the same is Given) others confronting him he said..

“That is private and confidential. Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff that I do, because they’re players and I’m the manager. I’m the man who knows what’s right for them and I know it more than they do. That’s why I sit in this chair. You don’t know who came to see me. My private discussions with the players and staff are exactly that.”

First it was about pretty much skipping Christmas, I don’t know about the others involved but I do know that Given has 2 young kids. (you should hear his daughter Sienna say daddy, in her Donegal accent it’s one of the cutest things I’ve heard.) It’s not fair on them to be asked to skip Christmas, but that was one source anyway. But that’s perfectly understandable.

Now they’re saying it was about tactics and team selection?? I don’t know what to believe really. But then again..Sam didn’t exactly deny it now did he. It’s not the first time we’ve heard of unrest in the dressing room.

But then again it’s good to see the 2 lads back their manager. But I still don’t fully believe them.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Valle….I think he was talking about the whole long ball thing.

Leo..I’m not saying it’s true, no one here knows what happened or even if anything happened. But it’s not just one newspaper, you’d say something if it was, that they’re making it up but why would they ALL make it up, and it just happens to be there or there abouts the same info. As idiotic and unreliable as some, well most, papers are, they have to get their information from somewhere.

• Sinead

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM

LOL!! Ye think this is a revolt. You should try seeing the GPA (GAA players, players association they threatened strike..ahh, never mind) in action.

I can’t get over how alike Ireland (football team) and Newcaslte are. YOu’d know if you’d lived throw it but I swear, this is going through, this team, the media, the manager..etc. All their actions are allmost mirrored to that of what happened with Stan and Ireland, a word of notice, it didn’t get any better. By the looks of it, this doesn’t seem to be either.

Sam keeps getting “lucky”, keeps getting second chances, this 5 year plan, Newcastles saviour, players being unhappy, players (including Given) backing him, saying he’s got the whole teams support. Everything, nearly everything has gone the same road. I just hope, for his sake and Newcastle’s that what happened next with Ireland doesn’t happen with ye. Even though looking at the fixture list it might be sooner, rather then later if it happens, it could be slightly delayed pending Weds result.

• Toon Chicken

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Eve – not that it matters, but seeing as you seem to be part of the Shay Given fan club…

Wasn’t his daughter born this year – in Hexham – where she will have lived for pretty much all of her life so far…

If she can speak at all, surely it won’t be in a Donegal accent???

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM

I’m not in his fan club, I am as much as you are but I have met him on more then one occasion and she was born more then a year ago. It wasn’t a full blow converstaion she said daddy. As for the accent, are you seriously telling me that you’ve never seen a 2 year old talk in a praticular way.
    But not that it matters.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Like who possibly would the child be around other then her 2 parents who have a Dongal and Scotish accent. That’s where you get it from.

• uche agwu (newcastle fan)

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

the papers write a lot of rubbish we all know that, bad news they say sells that we also know, but it is accurate to state that more than one had it n their news, where did they get it form, that no fan and memberrs of the publid knows.
    this is all clear , things aint going on well at the club thats why all these is happening. so how can we put things right?
    thats a million quid queston. my answer get rid of the head and begin afresh. simple

• Johann

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Haha Dear Eve. The thing is when you decide to be a top professional football player you agree with all that goes with it. One of those things is listening to what your manager says and decides and of course nearly skipping christmas. If you can´t do that go do something else. I don´t know about you all but I would sure as hell skip every single holiday to be a professional footballer for at least 10 years

• Toon Chicken

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Eve – I’ll have to take your word for it. Just I’m sure I remember seeing something in the Journal about his new baby around Jan/Feb time – I could be wrong though. And I don’t know any 2 year olds, so I wouldn’t really know how they speak.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Oh Johann darling your boyfriend Harper was involved aswell.

I’m not saying it was right, or even if what they were saying happened, happened. Ya they get paid alot, ya they are really lucky to have that job but like they are humans, they deserve a day or so off. Christmas means a lot to me, it means a lot to most people. It probally does to the players, they are human like, and now they are told to skip it so they can have an extra day to train cause Sam has brought the place to the dogs??

“The thing is when you decide to be a top professional football player you agree with all that goes with it.”

See that’s just bull. I’m sorry but it is. They are not puppets, they are not just things you purchase, they’re not machines, if you see something drastically going wrong, you are hardly going to just sit there, they’ve minds, free will. They are not just toys bought to kick a ball.

They are professional players cause they work their arses of every day of the year, and ya alot of people would love to be them but like there’s a hell of a lot of hard work involved they deserve one or two days off in the season, like oh I don’t know, Christmas. It’s only right.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Toon Chicken, shes actually one and a bit (I think) but still, most kids can talk (I mean basic words, obviously..dada..etc) since they are about 10 months old. Girls are faster then boys. But they’ve been listening to their parents and everyone around them since well before they are even born by the time they’re 3 most have a vocabulary of over 1000 words..(but now that I think about it could have been Shayne who said it, I don’t really remember. Time wise it’d make a hell of a lot more sense, he’s only 3) How the hell did I get into this.

• Toon Chicken

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Eve – dunno, but it’s better than talking about whether Sam is gonna get the sack or not 😉

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Da*m it Eve now you have shown them to be human beings, it is going to be so hard to criticise them if they inadvertantly punch the ball into their own net.

Nothing for it I am just going to have to take up whaling or something similar now.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:18 PM

God dalmit Bill you’re right. How about train watching, it sounds just as boring.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Naah, they don’t squeal as much when you stick a spear in them.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Bill F..Oh..good point. Train watching isn’t for everyone. Fair enough. But whaling?? Really??
    I think that’s illegal though. How do you feel about ostriches, I never liked ostriches. You could kill them. Even though that’s probally illegal too. God dalm those animal activists. What do they know.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:38 PM

It’s OK if you are Japanese and do it for “Scientific reasons” I could wear a disguise.

Also you don’t get many ostriches on the Leigh Marshes, come to think of it there aren’t many whales either.

I might just have to bury my concience and continue to criticise the players. God who would be a Toon follower and stay sane.

• Eve

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Japaneese eh?? Intriguing. It’d never work. Unless..no, never mind.

Leigh Marshes, no whales or ostriges, what is the world comming to.

Sane..Toon fans, it’s a big ask almost as big as getting our defenders to well defend. Insanity it is. *sigh*

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Eve… He can talk about Sam influencing the geordie weather for all i care, whatever the point is, its simply not true.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Well if Sam can get our defenders to defend then I would believe that he could control the weather. We could all then pray at the shrine of Saint Sam.

I would even find those elusive ostriches and sacrifice a few to him.