Newcastle Need Some Heroes Against Arsenal

Sam talks to the press every day now and inevitably he is forced to defend his position at the club, and not surprisingly he’s been doing that today too.

Sam’s right to point out that until the Reading game we were doing well and had our best start in 10 years.

sam-allardyce-34.jpg

Sam Allardyce – trying to be positive with the players

It’s since the Reading game that we have taken one point from 5 games and the rot has set in.

Sam talked to the Newcastle Journal today:

“There’s no point beating about the bush – yes I’m under the cosh, yes I’ve got to get results sooner rather than later and yes we’re having a bad time in terms of results, but it can be turned around as quick as it’s gone bad, because it didn’t look like it was going to go so bad, did it?”

“We beat Tottenham comfortably (on October 22, Newcastle’s last win), we got back-to-back wins and everything might not have been rosy, but it looked better than I might have imagined. We were still shipping silly goals but overcoming that with our firepower.”

It looks like both Abdoulaye Faye and Stephen Carr will not be available for tomorrow’s game against Arsenal, but Big Sam is hoping he can have Steven Taylor back from his back problems, which he aggravated when on England Under-21 duty.

It would look like the back four could be Taylor, Rozehnal, Beye and N’Zogbia for tomorrow night, but we’d like to see Enrique play at left back, so Charles is freed up to play on the left wing. Sam went on:

“I don’t feel very good because the burden lies on me more than anyone else, that’s the nature of the job,” “But I’m old enough to not reflect that in everyday life. The players’ belief is something I have to reinforce. That’s not going to be done by me walking around looking miserable or screaming and shouting.”

“That’s the last thing they need at the moment.” “They need constructive criticism if that’s the right thing to do and positive attitudes. That’ll get them back to positive performances on a regular basis.”

The Arsenal game is rapidly approaching and stranger things have happened than Newcastle somehow managing to get all 3 points tomorrow night. Form would suggest Arsenal should win rather easily, but they will have one or two of their big guns missing tomorrow, and we need some heroes on the Newcastle team. We’ll see shortly if some can step up tomorrow night.

Comments very welcome.

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Sam will sort things out givin time… Just like Keegan and Bobby did before him… And this time there is no Shephard to &%#¤ it up after he decides to retire

• Rafael Assis

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:53 AM

The Brazilian League Has End
    Some Good Players Sugestions:

Jorge Valdivia – Palmeiras
    Breno РṢo Paulo
    Miranda РṢo Paulo
    Alex Silva РṢo Paulo
    Caio – Palmeiras
    Hernandes РṢo Paulo

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Anyone else noticed how some of the players seems to have improved on their personal play?… Watching the game against Blackburn, Milner and Oba stood out for me. Milner didnt do he pointles dribles which is always one touch too much and Oba controlled the ball fairly well and his passing was actually very intelligent… Seems like Sam is working allot on the individual defects of our squad.

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:03 AM

2 valle Hve you seen how many points we have on teh bopard..football is a team game-if oba and milner have a decent game and the other 9 players are poor it makes no difference come the full time whistle.

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:04 AM

2 valle Have you seen how many points we have on the board..football is a team game-if oba and milner have a decent game and the other 9 players are poor it makes no difference come the full time whistle.

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:52 AM

The main improvement for me was the fans at the Blackburn match. Barton may not be my favourite person, but he finally said the sore truth that nobody else had dared go near: that while we in the Toon Army have every right to express disapproval, it doesn’t mean that we should.

We love it when we’re hailed as the “12th man” after a win, but have to take it on the chin when we don’t do our bit. A player who makes a bad pass needs encouragement to improve – not derision.

Let’s hope for proper support at home tomorrow – we’re going to need all 12 playing to their best.

• scott 9

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:55 PM

sam is the man by xmas we will be in a good position as we should have at least 12 points from 6 games that could place us about 8 th-9th

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:16 PM

SirJonasToon… Are u so focused on critizising Big Sam that u will disregard all positives to keep ur negative opinion of him?… I never once stated that football wasnt a team game, i never once talked about decnt games and i never stated that there was no improvements in the last 9… Football is a teamgame, we can agree that far, but surely every individual inside that team needs to keep improving? and as i said, the 2 that stood out for me where Milner and Oba… I think u and others needs to start asking urself if what ur doing is actually helping the club. Because some of this negativity is getting out of hands…

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:19 PM

valle-YOU SPELT MY NAME WRONG.

“Are u so focused on critizising Big Sam that u will disregard all positives to keep ur negative opinion of him?” Yes.

“but surely every individual inside that team needs to keep improving” Yes

“I think u and others needs to start asking urself if what ur doing is actually helping the club. Because some of this negativity is getting out of hands…” Hmmmm.

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:27 PM

SirJasonToon…

I stand corrected… U are indeed right … I did spell ur name wrong.

On the football matters, ur answer to the first question is all i need. I dont know what reasons u have, but we surely dont have the same interest at heart.

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Sirjasontoon….Give it a rest, were becoming as bad as the f-ing papers………people like you have got opinion’s and yes people like you have the right to those opinion’s…….but my opinion to your’s is that you kept the negative shit to your personal coz it’s f-ing boring…….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I’ve seen worse at the mighty Toon and we will pick up…..give it a chance or shall we sack another manager??????

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Jay
    You sound like you have the intelligence of an insect.
    So you are Mr Positive happy as a pig in s@it eh?
    My advice to you is keep smiling and leave me to my own devices you dong.

Valle
    I was simply stating that I am unhappy with the arrogance of Sam and 2nd rate football he is producing.
    We are now 1/3 of the way through the season wake up!!

This is a board based on opinion and I have expressed mine.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Listen lets not fall out..you have now convinced me that Sam will deliver European Football next season and we will be re named “sams entertainers” it will be a new style of arsenalesqe football but with a tuffer edge.

Teams in the prem will bend over as we shaft them every match….

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:58 PM

SirJasonToon… U r in ur right to comment ur thoughts, but if history has told us anything it must be that the most successfull managers we have had in modern times are the ones who have been given time… u should also remember that those managers who had success started slow and with some problems, since they needed to fix things from the bottom to the top. Bobby had 2 seasons in the bottom half, where we played awfull at times before things setled and he started to deliver. Keegan had a dreadfull first half of his first season, and im sure either one of those managers would be the first to tell u that every manager needs time and stability to get the message through to his players.

• scott 9

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:01 PM

only 25 hours to go cant wait

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Bill f Haha Class..I was thinking of horses heads and the godfather when it was documented that Sam got the dreaded handshake and the offer of drinks with the toon father after the blackburn match : )

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Dong??? Grow up yo plum……ur so boring with your comments!!!

I know were not very good at the moment i can see that on MOTD, and you and your comments are just not needed….!!

I’ve seen worse here and we will pick it up….all the players need is the fans to be on there side, not moaning and groaning…….boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:06 PM

valle I have nothing against Sam fella he is probably a decent chap I for one would be so happy if we gave the Gunners a kicking and went on a run of good results.

All I am saying is I have not seen any signs that things have improved judging by the injuries Glen Roeder had to deal with.

Yes I totally agree things do take time I just want to see a glimmer of hope that Sam knows what is he is meant to be doing.

Jay I also apologise for my outburst.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Jay “Never said i was happy with the way we play, all i simply implied was I dont like your words…..you bore me!!! ”

Your implications Mr Dong where unclear maybe if you didn’t type in feminine text talk your points may come across more clearly.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:11 PM

OK if the fans are not to express their dissatisfaction by booing at cr*p performances are there any alternatives?

One that springs to mind is that they could carry their mobile phones onto the pitch.

eg. I say Shay you were a little slow getting out to that cross, pull your finger out old chap.

Yes dashed sorry about that Bill, just a moment incoming, oh damn I punched it into my own net, can I put you on hold I seem to have some other calls coming in.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Jay also-“I’ve seen worse here and we will pick it up….all the players need is the fans to be on there side”

I think the fans where totally behind the team at the weekend at blackburn so I disagree with the above comment.

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Blimey. Warra scrap.
    Ok, my fourpenneth: sirjasontoon (and sirJUDAStoon is to much more appropriate) – of course you’ ve not seen any difference – it’s been 14 games, yer mollusc.
    Alex Ferguson, 1st 13 games at MU: 20 pts
    BSA: 1st 13 games at NU: 18 pts.
    Do you really think any manager has ever avoided a 5-game dodgy streak? Course not. Back in yer box until June, mate.
    And the next time you’re at SJP and feel like heckling one of our own for one poor kick, think about it: do you ever hear the fans of the top four doing that? Course not. Have your opinions, but keep it shut and do your job: supporting our players.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Whumpie you talk Pumpie!!
    That was 20 years ago you balloon.
    So I am a Judas because I refuse to put up with this pile of toss.
    We are not Bolton and you can’t expect the players to play like they are 36,long in the tooth and long ball merchants.

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Plum, mollusc, balloon – so much more creative when we can’t swear! Love it.

All I’m saying is: you can’t tell nowt in such a short time, and all this baying for blood is seriously damaging the club. In fact: given that we are the only consistent factor in four decades of failure, perhaps it’s about time the likes of Barton pointed out the elephant in the room? Other supporters support. We do our level best to make our players nervous, miserable and uncreative. Genius.

You’d want to kill any player who was so fickle, and we should realise that we have a job to do too. We’re supporters – so we support, through GOOD AND BAD. If Sam’s still doing daft stuff (and yes, it has been daft recently) at the end of the season, then we voice opinions. To do it now is utter spackmongery. (beat that word, then..)

• JC

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:02 PM

The negativity really is getting out of hand and, quite frankly, it’s dull.

Of course we’re having a poor spell. Of course we aren’t playing like Arsenal or Man United and scoring on a whim. More than a decade of gross mismanagement has left the club in more than a bit of a state. Fat Fred and some of his appointments saw to that.

We have to appreciate that Big Sam has only really started to make his mark on the team. Just look at the squad he inherited and look at it now. I think most could agree it’s in a stronger state. What Newcastle needs, above all else, is sustainable and steady progress.

With the malcontents aboard, surely we’re on our way. We just need to shake this tag of Keegan lovers. Sure, he did a good job ten years ago before running away into the night, but if we want to get back to the top of the table it isn’t happening overnight.

Stick with Sam, quit the booing.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Whumpie SPACKMONGERIE-
    Proper Genuis..Let’s quit arguing and have a good afternoon lads.

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:21 PM

But that means….
    GOING BACK TO WORK!!!
    Aarrgherrrrrgnnnnf.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Hate to be the speck of sand in the oyster, now that you two seem to made made up. But I don’t think it makes that much difference if we do whinge and boo a bit.

Bottom line is, if the team perform well then sam will keep his job we will be happy and that will be an end to any SPACKMONGERING.

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:32 PM

As for going back to work, I have just taken a second afternoon off to await British Gas to fix my central heating only to be told they do not have the correct part, so I now have to take more time off.

I wonder if their Boss is a football manager.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:37 PM

28 Bill f Sod the heating pal get yourself a thick throw from Ikea and a camping stove to see you through the winter cook up a nice spackgetti bolognase.

• Leo

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:41 PM

what did you mean by comment 20 bill? i was totally confused.

• steve

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Newcastle 0 – 5 Arsenal and Sam will continue to moan about needing time to sort it out.

Think most of us are expecting a defeat on Wed although we expect some commitment from players!

Next 4 games are crucial for Sam, I wouldnt be surprised if we get beaten by Brum, Fulham and Wigan and only Derby offers me any hope of a win – however I’m not sure Ashley will allow Sam any more time if this turns out to be true

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Ok, bill – a straight answer to your question in comment 20: instead of booing, we could do what the support of every successful club does: support! I don’t care what you think about play – winning matches is more important than shooting yer mouth off!

Joe “Stubbie” Barton was dead right. Sorry, but ‘loyalest football supporters’? HA! We’ve become more fickle than the Italians and need to start taking responsibility for our actions.

When a Liverpool player cocks up, they get jeered for the rest of the match… but by the opposition supporters, not their own!

If you think it makes no difference (I can’t believe anyone really thinks that), ask yourself this: Which team is more likely to win the match after a bad start? The one with their supporters shouting for them, or the one playing through boos and abuse? Wake up, man!!

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM

You are one of them ay………….cock knocker……….!!!

Say what you want and quote me as much as you like……..your still boring zzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

Newcastle can do without your sort so jog on….!!

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Wow, Steve – you must be a larf a minute at Christmas. Do you do weddings?

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Leo it was an imaginery phone call from me to Shay on the pitch during the game. I just thought instead of booing them we could get them to take their mobiles onto the pitch and we could criticise them in that way.

Or even text them.

SirJay, naah we don’t get proper winters down here, its more like a Newcassell spring. But my wife is a southerner and likes her comfort. (Southern especially)

• steve

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM

First rule of taking over any business is stabalise what you have and then come up with a plan to take you forward – unfortunately Sam seems to be taking us backwards at the moment.

Coming out and saying he’s bought 3rd rate players is not the way to get players performing for you.

Ferguson was 1 game away from the sack in his first year, luckily he won and went on to do okay in his first year – if Sam gets 8-12 points out of the four games (after Arsenal) then he’ll survive as well – can’t be fairer than that

Like he says himself – it’s a results business

• Whumpie

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Steve – must admit – if he doesn’t get much from the last four of the year, the bosses could be forgiven for sharpening the axe. But if we fail to do our best to encourage better play ourselves, we should take our share of the blame for not doing our job properly.

• Jay

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Steve I agree with ya…….

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Steve it’s exactly what i have been saying all along. Winners survive, losers get the sack, simple as that.