Sam and Players Can Turn This Around

Sam Allardyce talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning, about players sometimes being unhappy with what the manager does, and he rightly says, that it’s not at all unusual.

The interview was given before Steve Harper and Shay Given issued their very responsible statement saying all the players at the club were firmly behind the manager, and it was a good thing for our two goalkeepers to do. It shows they support Big Sam in his current difficulties, which confront every manager at some point in their career. Good for them.

sam-allardyce6.jpg

Sam Allardyce – in happier times at Bolton than right now

Sam talked to the Journal this morning:

“Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff that I do, because they’re players and I’m the manager,” “I’m the man who knows what’s right for them and I know it more than they do. That’s why I sit in this (manager’s) chair.”

“That’s an everyday occurrence as a manager,” “Somebody will have a problem with something or other, whether it’s how you go about the week, wanting to play, off the field. There’s always something a player doesn’t like. Some of it sneaks into the papers.”

“Whoever did it (went to the newspapers) might think it’s making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger. I just find it disappointing it ends up in the paper, but that’s life today.”

It’s not even clear to us that anybody went to the papers with that story. The tabloids are quite capable of making up any sort of nonsense they can think up, and it doesn’t depend on players leaking anything to them.

In fact, with Shay and Steve coming out this morning with their statement, that’s a good thing for Big Sam and like a vote of confidence from the players. Not that he needed that. The players should listen to their manager, but their performance on Saturday showed they are doing exactly that. Don’t believe everything that’s said in the tabloid press, as we’ve found out, most of it is made up.

Sam continued:

“My discussions with the players and staff are exactly that – and whether they like it or not, I don’t publicize what’s good, bad or indifferent about them.”

“Players wouldn’t know what to eat or drink after games unless you told them,” he says. “Once you tell them and persist, then all of a sudden they find out it is the right thing to do.”

“Recovery now is becoming just as important as training. Getting ready for the next game, because there’s so much physical and mental fatigue. All aspects like that are about changing the players to get themselves better.”

“People don’t like it when they’re taken out of their comfort zone, so you have to be persistent and give them the right information and tell them it’s going to make them a better player.”

“It’s like taking a (mid-season) break. There’s going to be a huge demand on individuals over Christmas and the Premier League still won’t support the vast majority of managers recommending they shut down in the season for a couple of weeks, so we have to find the time to allow the players to do that, to recharge the batteries.”

“Historically I’ve done that in the past and I’ve got a very good response to that later in the season. It relieves all the pressures, good and bad. It’s probably better to go away in difficult times than in good times, but you have to be brave enough to do that, because you get more criticism then from the outside influences.”

“You have to not be distracted by that and keep doing what’s right.” “You’ve got to believe in what’s right and wrong and I know what’s right to consistently get positive results.”

Sam is under pressure right now and it must be extremely difficult for him since he also has to lift the players for the tough game against Arsenal tomorrow evening. But we think Sam has a thick skin and it will not take too much to turn this thing around. A win tomorrow night will do it and five the team enough confidence to win again against Birmingham at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

That’s all it will take and what doe we need against Arsenal tomorrow night to get all 3 points. Good support from the fans, which we’ll get and a little bit of luck, that’s all. One way to get around these stressful periods that we all face at some time is to remember that things are never quite as black as they appear, and things are never quite as great as they appear. 😀

We’re supporting Big Sam and the players to turn this thing around, and we know they can, maybe even tomorrow night.  We’ll know within a short 27 hours if they can do that.

• adam

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:49 PM

the media must LOVE sam. he talks all the time. his wife must be happy

• Bill f

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Just a thought but does he get a fee everytime he talks to the media, mmmmmmmmmmm.

• Leo

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:23 PM

haha maybe he does, thats why he has soo much money, u seen his watches he wears!!! f**n bling bling haha

• valle

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Well Bill F… I was kinda confused as to ur total change in attitude towards our management, as i have been using this site since u started posting and i couldnt quite figure where u really stood now… Well u have come clean with ur negative view, so in light of our spat where u questioned whether i should be a supporter of this club i thought i would serve u some wise words:

Bill F // Sep 3, 2007 at 10:16

It’s obvious to anyone with with half a brain that Sam is the new face of management in this country. The old style of running players to exhaustion on the training pitch, a quick shower then sending them home for the rest of the day just don’t do anymore. I believe the players themselves appreciate the extra care and attention to detail as it improves their skill and longevity in the game. Some of the managers that we have had and others that do the rounds of the the lower leagues who get jobs without the knowledge needed for modern football are dinosaurs and are of no real benefit to their clubs. If Sam ever does end up in the England job (not for some time I hope) I just hope we have the sense to get another like him.

Tell me Bill, what exactly is ur opinion?… Shifting like the wind blows?… And u Sir, dare suggest urself a better supporter than me?… Disgrace

• Leo

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:39 PM

wow valle that is almost fanatical remembering all the way back to september 3rd for that one, hands to you.

i dont know why so much disagreement is happening lately on this webblog, i dont mind disagreement, infact i think its good, but name calling and abuse is creaping in around now and again.

not talking about the valle and bill f argument… but there is, i bet many of you agree

• Leo

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:40 PM

i would also have to hold my hands up on that one also.

• Bill f

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Actually Valle I havn’t changed my opinion of Sam at all my position is and always has been that if Sam can do the business then great. He can manage the club for the next 100 years as far as I am concerned if he can steer us in the right direction.

I was a supporter of his before he came to Newcastle as I thought he had something to offer football as a whole. Trouble is there appears to be inconsistency in the application of his methods. I thought all of the injury problems we have been having were fading into the past but suddenly we are top of that table again. Bad luck, possibly, I hope it is.

His tactical nous also seems to be suspect and this is not just my opinion his players seem to be of that opinion. Again it may just be bad luck I certainly hope so.

I would be happy to let him have two years so long as we do not end up moving into the lower leagues in the process, I realise Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Thing is as I keep stressing it is not my opinion or yours for that matter that counts. It is down to Mr Ashley and I cannot see him letting things go on for to long if the poor quality football continues.

Most of the things you have said in your second paragraph I have also said and agree with them.

I you feel insulted about some of my comments then I apologise. But I do feel that there are many people who support teams who do not have the same depth of feeling for the team as some one who was bought up in the culture of the the area that the team is in. And I do wonder at how they select the team they are going to follow. It often seems to be random selection or a whim.
    I know you have supported the Toon for the last 15 years. I have supported them for 55 years.

You shouldn’t take all of my comments too seriously, I am to old to take life too seriously and like to try to introduce some humour into the blog. Some of my attempts may go amiss at times, I certainly don’t try to put anyone down deliberately.

I enjoy reading this blog and enjoy the comments of all the contributors both negative and positive, it’s the contradictory aspect that makes it what it is.

At the risk of sounding patronising I enjoy what you have to say. The only thing that made me react and say what I did is that you appeared to be saying that you regretted chosing to follow the Toon. If I misinterperated this then again I apologise.

I hope you end up following them at least as long as me and have some good things to tell your children and grandchildren.

Who knows perhaps Sam will be our longest serving most successful manager and you can say you were there at the beggining. Starting tommorow, er tonight I should say.

Hope you actually get to read this as blogs often seem to dissappear into limbo after a while.

• KudatuaFC

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:14 AM

kudos Bill F
    u are my fan Idol

• Arthur Prince

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:40 AM

Well said Bill F .
    I have noticed that there is more interfan mud slinging on the blog recently. I suspect it is due to frustration that the early expectations of a better season with the usual fanatic Geordie optimism has been dashed with the realism that we have a long way to go to get to the top. I too have been fed up with how we have played this season . There are many reasons why which have been well aired on this blog . However we cannot keep changing managers without giving him a proper crack at getting success. I think the players also have to take responsibility (not just talk about it ) and together I think we will see improvement .
    I think it is reasonable for people to have disagreements of opinion but some of the language is becoming too unpleasant and frankly un-necessaryto make the point being made . it would be a shame if the blog starts to lose its attraction if the site sinks into a swearing match between Bloggers . As ED keeps on saying .” Keep it clean and respectful of differing opinions .
    Sorry about the Rant . Lets hope for a win this eveving and a change in fortune for the team .
    Howay the Lads

• valle

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Some would call it faith and some would call it a positive match… Whatever makes a person support a team that lies some distance from their actual living place, people can be certain that any supporter that have stuck by this club through all the %¤#& that Fat Fred served us is for real. Im not born a Newcastle supporter, but my son is, and on a match day my mood follows the result. U did go way too far when u said what u said, u should never tell a man to stop support his team and i do confess that i go absolutly beserk when people beleive that foreigners cant feel the way they do about the club we all support… I would NEVER say that i regretted the day i started to follow the toon, if all i am was a gold digger, then we can all agree that there have been more gold to dig at other clubs througout the last 10 years. What i said, was that the overwelming support from the stands has died a little since i first fell in love with the toon.

NB… Apology accepted

• valle

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Leo… I didnt remember all that text in my head, i just remembered Bill had a glowing view of Sam at the time and i simply went to the archieves and copy/pasted. 😉

• Leo

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:41 PM

im glad, your head would have to be as big as sven goran errikson if you were to have remembered all of that