Joey Barton Almost Back to Top Form

Joey Barton had his best game for Newcastle on Saturday, since returning from his metatarsel injury, and he looked the box to box player we know he is.

Looks like Big Sam was delighted with the effort and commitment from the former Man City player at Ewood Park, as he must have been for most of his charges on Saturday.

joey-barton-43564.gif

Joey Barton – couldn’t force the ball home after 56 minutes against Blackburn aaaggggghhhhhh – missed it

Allardyce told Newcastle World TV yesterday:

“Joey’s performance on Saturday was getting back to something like we know he can play,” “It would’ve crowned a really good performance if he’d put that chance away which somehow Brad Friedel has saved.”

“It’s been hard for Joey and I think the injury has taken more out of him than he expected.” “But he has got all of the attributes needed for a Premiership midfield player and, as every game goes by, we are seeing more and more of what he is capable.”

Joey did have a good game on Saturday but just how he didn’t put that chance away in the second half, heaven only knows. We almost tried to put it away ourselves on the TV screen. 😀

That seemingly open goal, plus Oba’s miss when he headed over from just 5 yards out, could have made all the difference on Saturday. But yes, that’s all woulda, coulda, shoulda – and that’s all water under the bridge now, and we got absolutely nothing out of the game.

But tonight if we get chances like that against Arsenal, we just have to put them away. And yes, it would be nice to see Joey hit the back of the net for Newcastle, and there’s no time like the present.

Comments always very welcome.

• Leo

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM

if we put our chances away against arsenal i will be thinking they have put 4 senderos’s out as their defence.

• yh

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Yeah remembered in one game against Man City a few years back he looked like their most impressive player and he was causing our defense a hell lot of trouble (ok given it didn’t take a lot back then, LOL) – yeah I’m one of those who doesn’t think that he is shit.

And I do understand that his aggression is part of him but I really do hope he can keep it under control – afterall I do know people like him but he’s paid so much money the least he could do is put in utmost effort to curb his wild rages etc.

• Betting on the Toon

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Yes he was better but he needed to be. Really could do with the points tonight but I can’t see anything other than an Arsenal win unfortunately. They are awesome, I just hope the fans get behind the team and the manager tonight. They need time, there are no quick-fixes in footy – as Newcastle have proved over the past 10 years.

• Leo

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:12 AM

joey barton has almost found full form, i cant wait to see how he plays tonight, i really hope i am not disapointed.

i always play with agression but i dont get in trouble for it even if i make a rash tackle, its because he has a bad reputation, maybe party his fault and also some of families fault.

• Toony

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:26 AM

I’m getting a bit fed up with feeling negative but I just dont see us getting anything but a good hiding tonight. Yes Barton played more like we would expect him to and so did most of the team ,but if that was us playing well and getting thumped off Blackburn what price a 5 nil home defeat off the best football playing team in the Premiership. I say that mainly due to Allarshites comments where apparently we are going to play defensively again AT HOME with a defence that leak goals like a tramps roof for christs sake.
    I will be there tonight NOT BOOING but probably clapping the fifth goal for the Arses as its tapped in from a yard out.

When are we going to get some value for money from our extortionatly priced season tickets and see some attacking football. Its got to be our only form of defence ,score 1 more than them!!!!

(God I really hope I’m wrong ,then I will be back on tomorrow grovelling for forgiveness)

• yh

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:45 AM

And you will be duly forgiven.
    I wish I could visit St. James’…
    Might never get the chance though oh well.

• Drago

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:57 AM

i just hepo he wont get injured again… because he’s so vital to our team, and i believe he will provide something good very soon, and imo he’s the best player we have !

• john

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Tonights going to be incredibly tough,lets play physical and confident and get a draw.i think Joey will get back into the swing of things in the next few weeks. I m pretty sure he’ll score against birmingham, I have a feeling we will ROCK them!

• ObaFan2

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Back to his best ? Oh dear what a waste of money then !!!!!! lol

I hope he still has alot of improvment because I still haven’t seen the world class player yet but hopefully that will be changing very soon 🙂

• Noxx

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Thats good. Hope to see the best of him very soon. And also the best Sam can bring to us in Newcastle. Lets support Sam and the Team tonight and tell Arsenal to BRING IT!!!

• Bill F

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Ed why do some smiley faces not work?

• Obafan

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:10 PM

I hope he will improve a lot, but to be fair I think he played a good game last Saturday apart from 1 moment. The scramble in the box, if he isn’t selfish there and just passes the ball 2 metres to his right, Martins would have scored 1-2. But for the rest he played okay.

I would love to see him play together with Emre, but I think SA will ot let those 2 play together cause they are too offensive minded, he prefers to select Butt, who probably will have a yellow card after 9 minutes for a stupid tackle in the middle of the pitch.