Superb Newcastle Give Arsenal Huge Scare

In one of the best Premiership games seen this season, a battling and superb Newcastle side gave league leaders Arsenal all they could handle tonight at St. James Park.

james-milner-134.jpg

James Milner – had outstanding game for Newcastle tonight

Things looked a little ominous for under-pressure Newcastle, when they went a goal down with Arsenal’s first attack of the game. Their big striker Adebayor, superbly controlled a cross from the right with his chest, and brilliantly volleyed home, in one single movement. It was a wonderful goal.

But Newcastle kept going and it was obvious what their game plan was. That was to harry and bustle the Arsenal players at every opportunity, and as the game progressed Newcastle were getting more of the ball, and coming more into the game.

James Milner, on the Newcastle left was prominent and Joey Barton had his best game of the season, as he wrestled the midfield from Arsenal in what was a terrifically competitive game that was enthralling to watch.

Half time came with Newcastle right back in the game, but struggling to get an equalizer. The second half continued much like the first half had ended, with Newcastle pushing hard for an equalizer and keeping the pace of the game non-stop. The Magpies were giving the Arsenal team no time at all on the ball.

The equalizer came after 60 minutes following tremendous Newcastle pressure. Geremi played a corner across the goal and the ball broke loose to young Steven Taylor who smashed it in off a post to send the Geordie crowd ecstatic. The last 30 minutes was exciting stuff and end to end, as both teams went for the winner. If any team was going to get all 3 points it looked like it would be Newcastle, as surprising as that may sound.

At the end probably both teams were happy with the point. Arsenal because they were made to work so very hard by an inspired Newcastle side, and the Magpies because it broke a string of two successive home defeats in which they played very poorly.

This hopefully will be a turning point for Newcastle this season, but they will need to take all 3 points against Birmingham City on Saturday. Anything less will not be good enough after a tremendous performance like this.

• adam

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Toon Toon Black and White Army!!!

milner and smith were outstanding.

arsenal held us to a draw!

• Obafan

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Very good game and we have reason to be disappointed with the outcome of the game. I think if 1 team deserved to win it ir was NUFC (the Belgian reporter also mentiooned it a few times). But okay finally we see progress, now w e need to win against the teams who are under us or who stand next to us in the EPL table and then we can move forward in the table.

Given; very solid performance, only 1 thing was his stupid yellow card.

Beye; looks more and more solid in the back, held off Clichy and was also going forward. I’m telling you the best is yet to come. Very good player!!!

Rozehnal and Taylo: very good together in the back although every time Roz is trying to build up or if he heads a ball he wasn’ t able to hold the ball in our ranks. Cacapa and Faye still are my favourites to be on this position. Great finish by Tayls.

N’Zogbia; very good perfomance and 10 times better than Enrique (who is IMO overrated). If Duff comes back what a left side we will have.

Geremi; very good and he is starting to act as a leader.

Butt and Barton; played okay but I’m still favour to see Emre in the middle of our squad.

Milner; for me he needs to learn how to cross a ball, every time he works hard and dribbles good and than he wastes his own actions by kicking awful crosses. He needs to improve on that otherwise he will be a wasted talent IMO.

Martins, worked very hard and made it very difficult for the Arsenal defenders. Good combination with Smith upfront.

Smith; I start to like the kid; his best position is without any doubt in tha attack, he wins headers, works very hard and if he and Oba can play a bit more near to eachother they can be more dangerous than they have been so far.

Come on lads, go and wipe the floor next Saturday with Birmingham!!!!

• Toon Andy

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM

We actually dropped 2 points today, we were that much better than the visitors.

The cloud to go with this silver lining is that we haven’t produced this sort of performance against the likes of Reading, Derby and the mackems.

If we play with this much spirit every week, we won’t lose many games and will easily qualify for Europe. Let’s hope Big Sam and the lads can make it happen.

More of the same please!

• rob the geordie

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM

no praise for butt yet….i think nicky butt was outstanding

• feel

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I feel that Arsenal played badly without Helb, Fabregas and Flamini. So they have a off day, we did not really play well.

• ToonKing

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:12 PM

rob, i don’t like Butt……..but he was indeed great today and that considering that he is ill.

feel: ahahha the Gooners were whit out those players at Villa too yet they played brilliantly (in the first half). WE made the Arse’s look bad today cause we were damn good………..but i suppose there always has to be one guy who’s not happy…..

• zara

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:21 PM

i think they ran really fast and kicked it really well. there were lots of curly ones too which i liked. their shorts could have been shorter though. love zara

• Toony

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Just got back in after the match, and what a match!!!! After the crap served up lately I felt after 3 minutes my prediction from yesterday of a 5 – 0 defeat was going to come true. However a team lacking in confidence and dismal negative football battled beyond all of my expectations and to a man I was proud to be a Geordie.

Outstanding performances as usual from Butt and Milner but I felt Barton, Beye and Taylor were different class in their battling determination to win every ball. This was only topped by the enigma that is ALAN SMITH.

This game proved that Smithy’s only position is as centre forward!!!!! forget ever playing him anywhere else. He rattled Arsenal’s whingers who complained at every challenge and tried to cheat their way to 3 points. Adebayors goal was exceptional but should never have happened but for Charlie Zog gifting the ball to Sagna instead of clearing defender style (which he certainly isnt!!!) Only 2 negatives for me tonight NZogbia was awful as a left back and Geremi should go to the African cup of nations and stay there as he is more than poor. Mind you even he was better than usual with his free kicks, he just cant put one foot in front of the other quick enough and in a race between him and Babayaro I think Baba would win but I would have had to go home before they finished!!

Lets hope we can keep this kind of heart for the remaining games. If so we will stay in the top half and may even sneak into europe. NO MORE CAPITULATION LIKE IN THE LAST 2 HOME GAMES. More of the same from now on please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eve

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Obafan..LOL, ya Given had a good solid preformance, but about the yellow card, something tells me that was a result of the ref crossing him after he had a very bad few days. I wonder what possibly could that be about?? LOL!! It was a bit harsh though.

• Leo

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM

click on taylors image, to the right its steven carr in the crowd haha lmao

• Eve

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM

I actually don’t have a singal bad thing to say about any of that players, (wait till the novelty wears off in the morning, I’ll find something wrong then, put till then, this feels bloody good. I’m going to leave all the negative stuff till tomorow and enjoy this while it lasts. *Sigh*

• bottlodog

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:49 PM

fantastic match proper football what concerns me tho’ was me an my mate made a racket right thru’ the game but we were met by gazes of disbelief at the noise we were making – one tw*t even told me mate to sit down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are still too many passengers in the crowd – get behind the team for f*cks sake – see what hapens we some of us do!!!!
    Lets see what happens Saturday

• Dingo

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:58 AM

well it seems like Joey has and is UNITED NUFC. go on…… fir the first time in a few weeks I was happy… I was sat in the Diamond in Pont with AS and he told me that was the best hed seen NUFC play since KK era…. then he didnt buy me a pint!…..

ah well you win some you draw some! 😛

howay

• Jeff From Malaysia

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:42 AM

That’s it!!

Keep in going, guys!

• Ross

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:26 AM

“feel”
    you must have been watching the wrong game mate, simple as that.
    we were brilliant,haha

• andyc290

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:17 AM

well said Ross, that was an awesome game, we just matched the best team in the league pass for pass and tackle for tackle if people cant be positive after that performance by the players and the fans I think they should find another team to support.

• wsq

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:49 AM

bloody espnstar!

• Toony

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Best game of the season by far – How I wish we had done that against Liverpool, Portsmouth,Derby ,Reading and the Mackems. Perhaps at long last we as supporters and the team have finally realised that at this stage of re building we have to play like the Allardyce Bolton to get anything from a game.

Sexy football this was nt but give me that kind of commitment every game and I’ll be happy. This was a truly inspired performance and hopefully the rest of the football world will realise that we as Newcastle United all want the same thing and are indeed UNITED.

If we keep playing like this and add to the squad in January and next summer I feel the free flowing football may be just around the corner. For now lets just bask in the glory of a home draw against a side that may well go the whole season without losing a game!!!!!!

• Luke

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:00 AM

for all you alan smith haters… what now?

• ChrisL

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:18 AM

I think the turning point was a combination of the surrender to Liverpool and Barton trying to got the fans onside (in his own special way).