Taylor – We Could Have Won It

Steven Taylor had a great come-back game for Newcastle United last night and of course scored our equalizing goal after 60 minutes, and right near the end almost put another one home, but the ball was cleared off the line.

steven_taylornufc_profile_2007.jpg

Steven Taylor – played really well at heart of Newcastle’s defense

Steven talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“That’s the most important one I’ve scored. What a time to score.” “Fortunately for me, Alan Smith’s flick-on went through Oba Martins legs. It fell to me, and I was delighted it went into the back of the net. There’s no better feeling than seeing the ball go in.”

“My celebrations have calmed down a bit. I didn’t go for a full lap, I just went for the Forrest Gump half-lap.” “It was great seeing the fans go wild in the Sir John Hall stand, and I’m sure they’d have all done the exact same thing as me.”

“I’m just absolutely delighted for everybody. The lads were unbelievable, as was the whole team spirit.”

But Taylor almost scored right at the end and what a celebration that would have been if Steven could have put that header home, but it was amazingly cleared off the line. Steven continued:

“I nearly scored again late on but Emmanuel Eboue got it over his own crossbar. I don’t know how he did that. It could have been an own goal, and I was disappointed with that.”“The lads came into the dressing room thinking we could have won the game.” “But it was a good team performance from everybody, and we had some great chances.”

“I had the header in the first half, when it hit the side of my head. There was a bit of argy-bargy in the box, and I managed to get my head to it.” “We have had a lot of stick lately and it was nice to bounce back. Hopefully we can move forward now.”

“Everyone had written us off, and it was good to put in a great performance for the fans. The main thing was to get in amongst them, and I felt we did that.”

“We’ve got to give the fans credit. They were magnificent. We’ve been booed recently, and the fans had every right to do that, but we got a standing ovation, which is great for us.” “It just gives the lads more confidence and belief, which is what we need.”

“We felt we could have won it. Even the gaffer said he was devastated we didn’t win the game.” “I could feel it a bit in the last five or 10 minutes, but it’s not a problem.”

Steven Taylor has missed the last two games, and it was great to see him once again in the heart of Newcastle’s defense. Looks like he’s getting better under Big Sam’s direction, but he looked a powerful figure last night for Newcastle, and long may it continue.

Comments always welcome.

• Indian toon

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:02 PM

we can do it against birmingham. getting too complacent against them is the danger. they can hit us on the break. am sure that will be their plan. almost all teams except the big 4 come with this plan at sjp

• steve

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:11 PM

better – but we def need to play with skill and guts rather than blood and guts – I’m going for a 3-1 win against brum

• ToonKing

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Well i have a feeling that one of the four teams that were playing nest will get a real thumping and i think it will be Derby.

• Dave

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:11 PM

All this euphoria for what? A draw. Yes it was a better performance but big Sam (a legend in his own mind) is still a prat and probably always will be. We could have won that game. Milner on the right, N’zogbia on the left, Barton and Geremi right back (right back off the pitch) and a hardworking creative midfielder alongside Butt. O yes forgot we have one in Emre better and always will be than Barton

• Bosck

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM

emre would have been lost in last nights game. Whilst being a good player he will not get stuck in harassing and snapping at people in the way smith and barton will.

I actually think it wouldnt have worked playing Zog on the left and milner right last night as we operated more in a 4-3-3 with geremi, butt and barton overpowering them in midfield. most games i would like to see the two young lads on the wings but last night selection was spot on.

and Dave, yes it was a draw, but it was a draw against the unbeaten league leaders and one of the best teams in europe if not the world. and it would have been a win for us if eboue hadnt got the ball over the bar so i definately think we should be very happy with a tiny bit of disappointment we didnt nick it.

• scotty

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:45 PM

if we can play with the determination like we did last night there is no reason why we can’t be in top 6 come end of the season. Although i still SA may not be the man to take us up to the next level, a uefa spot would still be an achievement.

Worst player last night was Geremi – by far the best player was smudger. He chased everything all night and i can’t remember one aerial battle he lost – lets hope he has found his feet!!!

Overall, a very gritty determined performance against the best footballing team in europe at the moment.

• leo

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:15 PM

i dont mind only getting a draw, infact i dont know what i would have done with myself if we had won the match like, i think i would probably still be on the town now drinking

• scott 9

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:34 PM

barton right back of the bench u must be joking i was impressed with him last night he getting to his best he didnt have his best game but he was so comfortable on the ball and has so much composure i dont think some of the players quite read some of his passes mind

• Brisbane Mag

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM

A very good display and had the chances to win. We need to play with that kind of determination and spirit more often……..