Terrific Newcastle Performance Against Arsenal

Sam Allardyce was a relived man last night after the game with Arsenal, and was clearly elated after his side’s magnificent performance against probably the best team in the land right now.

sam-allardyce-2.JPG

Sam Allardyce – his players were magnificent last night

Newcastle had Arsenal on the back foot for long periods of the game and while Sam thought Newcastle deserved to win, at the end of the day he was happy with the draw and delighted with the performance. This was one of the best performances we’ve seen from a Newcastle side for a long long time.

Sam said:

“It’s actually a little hard to take, after pulling off a performance like that, not to have won the game. To be 1-0 down, to have enough opportunities and half-chances against a team like Arsenal, we feel disappointed that we haven’t taken all three points. That is the feeling in the dressing room and I’m glad to say that.”

“If I’d been asked before the game, after the run we were coming out of, we’d have taken a draw. It looked like it might be a difficult night for us, but it wasn’t difficult for our own players. They played well at St James’s and the fans got behind them, pushing them on to get the victory.”

“The result is huge. I would have said at the start that a draw would feel like a win, but I don’t think we got what we deserved.

“It’s not often you can get Arsenal on the back foot for so long and I think the second-half performance meant it was Arsenal who were hanging on. I think that is really encouraging. The header we had at the far post (Steven Taylor) right at the death was as good a chance as you can have, but it didn’t go in and we are relieved to get the point.”

Newcastle certainly could have won the game, and yes, Taylor almost put the game away towards the end. But the big thing the supporters can take from this game is definite signs that Newcastle United can battle it out with the best of them. If the Liverpool and Portsmouth games are the worst we have played this season, then this is easily the best.

Let’s give credit where it’s due – the lads last night played with fire and brimstone, and not a little bit of skill. In short, they were absolutely magnificent. And the game was watched around the world on TV. No wonder Mike Ashley was rubbing his hands at the end of the game with some glee, and had a grin as wide as Tynemouth, on his face.

• indian toon

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM

RUSSIAN SKIPPER ASHRAVIN IS INTERESTED IN JOININ NUFC. HE JUST WANTS SAM TO BID. YES.!!

• George

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Wow, was that the same bunch of players we have been watching over the past few weeks.
    It makes me even more angry that they turn in performances like that against Arsenal, yet we have had crap for weeks previous.
    Anyway, keep it up lads and we will soon climb the table a bit and we may even have a bit of a run in the FA Cup.

• doby the mag

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:15 AM

I seen ashravin play against the toffees last night and he looked very good. His type of play makes me think he should fit into the premiership quite easily. I would be pleased to see him at the toon.

• ToonKing

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:16 AM

An interesting thing the commentators mentioned and it makes sense why we played like crap for weeks. As we all know Sam is a fitness freak and he wants he’s players to be uber fit. So i think that’s why we were not turning up for games. They were training so hard that they were exhausted by the time of the game, but all that fitness training is starting to show now, hell we practically ran all night yesterday and kept pressing till the very last minute.

• Southside Jordy

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:24 AM

I can believe that last night…..was on the edge of me seat all game!! Graet performance and a great show of team work! really feel like we won that game last night and just can’t wait for the visiting blue’s on saturday!!

GET THE F**K…. IN!!

• Leo

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:40 AM

well i dont know if someone can answer a question of mine, i was at the match and thought their should have been a penalty to newcastle because their player stopped the ball going in with his arm… in the first half

• adam

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:40 AM

we are the best fans in the world, and im a modest person!

• AltaBatalJoneN

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Mr. Allardyce need no more to look for his best 11.. The team of yesterday and against Blackburn (where we were very unfortunate to loose) is the best team, with possibly a fit Duff instead of Gerimi a bettere opportunity.. I also would like to play Emre (fantastic for Turkey last two games) instead of Butt, but I think that Butt is too important helping the defence to not play.. ( But he simply can’t shoot though!! 🙂 )

PS: I was watching the game on TV yesterday, and I must admit that for the first time this season I am truly proud of the Newcastle supporters who turned up at St. James’s Park.
    I loved it..
    Let’s never go back to the booing and the shite atmosphere that has been!!

• Wyn Mills

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Fair play Newcastle. You pushed us all the way. But don’t forget we were playing with 3 first choice midfielders and our leading striker out with injury. That was a severly weakened Arsenal side out there last night.
    I’m also still not convinced Allardyce is the right manager for you. You will win nothing with him, and I fear for your style of play in the future. good luck against the brummies.

• Charliegeordie

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:04 AM

I’d still like to see Milner on the right and Zog on the left. I think Beye showed how we could have used the right more to open them up. Butt is doing well in defence but is he doing more than someone like Emre could do in offence. Smith’s running and passion are great but he is not scoring goals and not creating enough chances to be playing up front. I’d like to see him playing as a midfielder both attacking and defending. Keep him running and passing.

• Bill F

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Time to get Stevies signature (finally) on paper.

• AltaBatalJoneN

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:57 AM

From what I’ve seen of Zog in left midfield this year, he looks a little lost. He stands back when we attack, rather than try to strecht the defence and explore rooms behind it.. He looks more comfortable playing with someone in front of him, and comming from behind..
    On Smith I think we have to give him time.. He has only played three games as a striker and done very well in all. He’s not a natural goalscorer though, but more a supporting striker. And if he can set up the others to score then I think he should play.

What I’m moore concerned about is the football-intelligence of Martins. He does not have the instincts of a top striker.. (yet.?) If you watch him you’ll fint that he’s never ahead of defenders when the ball is played. he often stands still when he should be in movement. Sure he is fast, but it looks like any half-decent defender is before him when trough-balls are played or on flick-ons. He just don’t read the play well. Owen is fantastic in that area, always in movement when the ball is played, and I really hope that Martins is watching and learning cause he is hugely talented physihcly.

• Micky Toon

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM

So glad to see Taylor back, and not just because he scored. We always seem to play better with him in the team. Last night was the first time I’ve actually enjoyed watching us play for weeks. Alan Smith, rightly Sky’s man of the match, he was brilliant. We may even have won if Owen was fit. Owen and Martins instead of Viduka for me. Viduka is just too ‘portly’ 🙂

• AltaBatalJoneN

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I’m watching the game again on Canal+, and ArseAnal is 1-0 up again… Do we never learn from our mistakes!!! 🙂