Wenger Heaps Praise on Newcastle’s Fighting Effort

Arsene Wenger has heaped praise on the Newcastle United performance last night, when he talked to the official Arsenal web-site after the game.

arsene-wenger-654.jpg

Arsene Wenger – Arsenal’s famous manager – praise indeed

On whether a draw was a fair result:

“Yes, maybe overall even though it was frustrating for us. Physically it was a very difficult game for us tonight and mentally as well because they did fight for every ball. We did not have enough time to play. I feel as well that technically we did not find the right solutions when we won the ball back to get them out of position.”

“That made their physical game easier for them. But overall you could say they did deserve something from the game and we didn’t really create enough going forward to say we should have won. Even in the last 10 minutes I felt we were in three or four situations when we didn’t get the advantage we should have got.”

On his team’s passing game:

“We were not to our usual game but we got a point which maybe we wouldn’t have got last year. That was more down to our defending than our drive going forward. We know that’s not the way we want to play but we were forced to that tonight and we didn’t find the resources to play our usual game.”

On being four points clear at the top:

“We would have signed for that at the beginning of the season but when you are 1-0 in front… Overall Newcastle were very direct but they were not very dangerous apart from set pieces and throw-ins. But we contributed to their goal and that’s a regret we had tonight.”

On his frustrations on the touchline:

“I got frustrated in the end because you could see where the game was going. It was obvious that it was difficult for us to get the free kicks. I felt that Adebayor got in front a few times and he was stopped illegally. But the pressure from the stands was so big that overall I cannot blame the referee.”

On Newcastle’s fighting spirit:

“You could feel before the game that it was a crisis and that I anticipated a difficult game because no matter the differences within the club there was a union to win this game and fight tonight. Everybody was on board because their team fought like mad for 90 minutes and they got a point from it.”

On echoes of playing Bolton:

“It was exactly the same type of organization and the same type of play. They were very direct, very committed and in a 4-3-3, and I must say Smith, Martins and Milner fought very hard.”

It certainly looks like Newcastle United did the job last night, doesn’t it?

A game to savour – well for a couple of days at least. 😀

• Leo

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:37 AM

what is arsne going on about.

dont get me wrong i think he is a great manager, but football is a physical sport, adebayor went down too easily under shoulders from taylor, he was looking for a free kick. many of their team did that, and more should have been booked for doing so.

long ball!!! where was the long balls. i can remember a few put in by butt but they were balls played out wide to our winger, because milner had so much space, or to martins because their backline was soo flat.

Ed have you noticed on sky sports the story that Andrei Arshavin would be interested in newcastle if we make an offer

• Davey G

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Okay folks, credit where credit is due. Right tactics, right team selection and right MOM in Smith. I thought he played like a 6 ft4 striker, the way he held the ball up and won 90% of balls in the air. Lets hope BSA realises Smiths true position and stops playing him everywhere but!!
    Thought Barton and Butt looked good together in the middle of the Park, Beye looked excellent, well done to the TOON but can we sustain this. I Bloody hope so!!!

• Davey G

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM

We need a pacey and creative attacking Midfielder, and 1 more experienced CB!! And we could be a decent team….

• Ausgeordie

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Now now Taylor was lucky not to give away a free kick or worse at the end cause he shoved himself out there twice. I think Smithy should be a back post man, we dont have one and so many goals have gone begging. Most teams have one player that has sounded out this posi because of the goals but we dont seem to have someone heading and shooting there off corners.

• Tommy

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I was very happy with the performance last night.. We’re never going to beat arsenal on the floor, who can? I thought the tactics were spot on, even though there was still some passes that had me puzzling at times, but dare I say it, we turned a huge corner last night and if we play like that in the next 4 games then 12 points is completely realistic..

Everyone was fighting for each other and everyone wanted to win. Thought Smithy had his best game last night by far and I did not see one man bottle from a challenge..

O.k. it was only a draw, and I feared the worst after 4 minutes, but what a cracking finish eh? Big credit to the whole team, manager and everyone else for turning up and the determination made me proud to be a NUF fan, not that I ever feel any different, but I have definitely got a lot more optimism after last night..

• Jules U

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:29 AM

I must say fellas, watching us last night was like watching Bolton…I really hope it doesn’t continue. Alan Smith was a disgrace last night, and we could/should have had two red cards late on for the last man fouls. We were very lucky to get a point!

• valle1

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Wenger always whine when they dont win, but this was actully one of his better comments. But he will NEVER praise without pointing a finger or 2 also… With regards to players brought in, Arshavin sounds like a good buy and i would still love to see Qaresma come as well as a good exp left back to give young Enrique more time to devellop. If the stories are true that we can get Ben Haim and Brown for the cheap, we should go ahead and buy at least one of them, since brown can also play at right back.

• valle1

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Jules U… Drop ur cover, no one is evah gonna beleive that u r a NUFC fan.

• valle1

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I love this blog, but the fact that ppl can just write a made up name and then try to appear as geuine fans without doing any work in form of filling forms makes the blog an easy target for “no life” rival supporters.

• Jules U

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:14 AM

It’s my opinion mate. Who wants to play that brand of football and not win anything…just like Bolton! We should be trying to play like Arsenal not Bolton. After all, they are not one of the most despised clubs in the country for nothing. I just want more for my club than valle1

• Lee Knowles

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Arsene Wenger has quoted that newcadtle deseverd the point and that they held arsenal but ive got to say that i think Arsenal held Newcastle because in the second half Newcastle we on the attack constantly and i thought they deserved to win the game!

• Bosck

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM

frankly if we can get to a constant level where we consistently match and beat/nearly beat teams like arsenal then i dont give a damn how we do it.

I doubt there were many chelsea fans complaining when they won back to back league titles without exactly playing edge of your seat football.

• Hadrian

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:53 PM

hadaway n shite , we played some great stuff at times last nigtht , and were direct for a reason in parts .
    our defence pinged it straight back to the forwards on many occasion i cant deny that , but the result was constant pressure , and our 3 front lads played some great stuff .
    dont be folled by the battling performance hype , that was only while we were out of possesion , with the ball we looked great .

• valle

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Well, if u r truly a fan then im sorry… everyone is right to their opinion, it just seemed kinda odd that i havnt seem u around before this match and then u state that we should have red cards but dosnt mention Arsenals cheating play as well as slating our best man in the game because he fought like a warrior.