Duff Scores against Hartlepool in Comeback Game

Damien Duff made a scoring return to action for Newcastle United yesterday in a successful behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday against Hartlepool United.

damien-duff-321.jpg

Damien Duff
– scored against Hartlepool yesterday in first game back

But Sam has quickly stated that neither he nor Brazilian central defender Claudio Caçapa will play at Fulham tomorrow. Sam Allardyce was delighted to see both players come through the game against a Hartlepool United side fit and well, but he will not use either in the game at Fulham, although Cacapa may make the substitutes bench.

Duff will stay on Tyneside over the weekend and work on his fitness as he tries to get ready to play again for the first team.

Sam talked today:

“The game will come a week or two too early for Damien because he is well short of match practice,” “He came through the game well and scored, but we’re not going to take any silly risks.”

“He is just really happy to be out on the pitch again and the light at the end of the tunnel is a really big one for him now. I’m sure he’s very relieved and we are looking forward to having a fit and firing Damien Duff available for selection.”

“I don’t know when that will be. He needs another couple of behind-closed-doors games before he can be considered for the first team and the problem is the reserve league shuts down for Christmas. We’re desperately trying to get some games for him.”

Caçapa will travel with the squad to London later today, but the Brazilian will not come straight back into the team. His last game was that game against Portsmouth, which took everybody by surprise, and we’re sure he’s anxious to get back in the side and show the fans that was a one-off terrible performance.

Sam addressed that terrible game against Portsmouth:

“That game is so far gone, it has gone down the River Tyne, into the sea and it’s on its way to bloody France now. We will not be talking about that again.”

“Caçapa looked good and he will be back in the squad on Saturday. But I can’t see him starting the game, he’s still a little rusty and he’s short on match practice.”

“Like Duffer, he needs a bit longer yet, but it will be great to be able to use them at some point over the busy Christmas period because the squad is going to be stretched.”

But it’s a really good sign that both players are at least physically fit and can help out during our heavy Christmas period, when we just have to start picking up points.  A win at Fulham tomorrow will keep our momentum going nicely, after last week’s win against Birmingham City.

Comments always welcome.

• aaron d

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:31 AM

any news on the trialists?

• Ed Harrison

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM

aaron – no news on how South African Lance Davids played – i’ll keep looking.

• Bri

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:20 AM

What was the final score?

• Kash2

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I think they’ll keep that on the downlow considering Blackburn are sniffing around!

• Peter in Sweden

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:48 AM

I Support DjurgÃ¥rden who Lance plays for and I’m convinced that Sam won’t follow up on him. He just isn’t anywhere near Premiership status and over here we are all wondering how the hell he even got a trial with NUFC and Rovers. I wish it wasn’t so because Davids is a good lad with a good atitude but he is just not made for playing in the Premiership.

• Rich

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Cant wait to see Duff back, hel be desperate to make an impression on us and get us on his side!If he gets back to his best then we have a quality quality player!

• Haway man

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Can Duff play left back as well as Zog?

• Rich

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Ye he can play right wing or left back but his favoured is left mid! I can see him going into central midfield in a couple of years when he turns 30 though!

• Bill F

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:02 PM

God doesnt any one read other peoples comments. I have been saying for several weeks that Duff is a good left defender and imo should be played there when he is fit enough.

• ChrisM

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Shut up Bill

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Peter In Sweden – What about Erkan Zengin (Need a RW), Ol Toivonen (Height in midfield) and Pontus Wernbloom. Your Opinion on those?

• scott 9

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM

dont AGREE BILL HE CAN PLAY THERE BUT I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE HIM ON LEFT MID

• Rich

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Me to scott9, i would rather play Enrique as a left back and have Zog and Duff battling for LM but id play Zog at LB before Duff!

• Leo

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM

oh the ever friendly ChrisM graces us with his presence. unfortunatly.

• Peter in Sweden

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Tom_Toon
    Erkan Zengin is a good creative right winger who poses good speed and is good at beating his defender. He is also a decent crosser but I don’t think he’s good enough for the Premiership, mostly because how physical the league is. I think he’d be better off in a lower side in La Liga or a midtabled team in France, Germany or Holland when he moves on.

Toivonen is still young and has alot to learn. He might be tall but he is not a Tim Cahill type of midfielder that is good in the air. His strengths are mainly when the ball lays at his feet. But I can’t see him becoming anything special, especially in the Premiership due to the same reason as Zengin.

Pontus is a swedish version of Alan Smith but probably not as good as Smith. Could probably be a decent signing for a midtabled/struggling Premiership side.

• Bill f

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:34 PM

No, I shan’t , so there. What you gonna do about it you dick.

• Bill f

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Scott9 I’m not advocating him playing there as a permanent thing, just thought it would be a good option to give Zog more chance to get forward. He has played at left back and done Ok but obviously if he can get back up to speed and play as he did for Blackburn and Chelsea then it opens up even more options with him.

Of course we need quality defenders and hopefully Enrique will eventually do the biz, but I feel, In my opinion, (is that OK ChrisM) that Duff could easily fill that gap.

• David Rayner

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Who else scored apart from Duff? Does anybody know?

• Leo

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:03 PM

went a bit far their Bill? haha fair enough though, he deserves it

• Bill f

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Yeah your’e right Leo, heat of the moment and all that. I shall retire to my Zen garden and meditate on my lack of grace and chant my mantra.

Thou must not retaliate against plonkers

Thou must not retaliate against plonkers

I will say it one thousand times or until I have learned my lesson.

• Tripp

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:25 AM

Zog is great overlapping out of the LB position, but it’d be nice to get Milner back on the right. Perhaps Zog remaining in the LB position and Duff on the left wing. Really though, I don’t see Duff really getting back for quite sometime. He hasn’t played in months and the injury sounded pretty bad. Looks like he’s come through most of it, but ankles and touchy things and Sam is wise not to rush him back. Roeder would have thrown him to the wolves tomorrow and we’d have lost him for another 7 months.

• Tripp

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:32 AM

I’d like to see Jose Enrique get back in the starting 11 so that he can get some good experience. It’s too bad we’ve sorta got our backs to the wall at the moment, because it’d be great to see him start against the likes of Derby and Wigan. However, I don’t think that SA is gonna change anything in the starting 11 unless an injury forces him to.

• Leo

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:44 PM

i have worse words for them than plonkers, there is a couple on the site at the moment, all of a sudden we have some guy called Shaz having a good old jibe at us…. shows how sad he is…