The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wes Brown Not Available Until Summer

10:59 am, Sunday, December 16th, 2007 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce seems today to have given up hope of landing Manchester United ace Wes Brown on loan next month.

wes-brown-1.jpg

Wes Brown - will become a free agent in the summer

We wouldn’t be surprised if Sam has already talked to Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson about the England international after Wes turned down the chance to sign a new four year contract.

Sam thinks with worries over Gary Neville’s long-term fitness, Alex Ferguson will not be prepared to let Brown leave in January. Though that will mean that Brown will be available on a free transfer in the summer, and hopefully Newcastle can do the deal with Manchester United now for the deal to be executed in June.

The former Bolton manager is still hoping to strengthen the Newcastle defence, although they did keep a clean sheet in the 1-0 win over Fulham, but the defense still looked far too hesitant and unsure.

Sam told the People today:

“Wes Brown is not going to be available in January,” he told The People. “He may leave at the end of the season.

“The speculation comes round because he supposedly turned a contract down, but I can’t see Sir Alex letting him leave with Gary Neville being injured.”

What do you think about this situation?  We think we should get him in the summer for free.

Comments always welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian toon // Dec 16, 2007 at 11:04 AM

we miss silvestre and now brown. top quality premiership players these two are. it would be awesome if we can get sol campbell . faye and campbell in central defence would be unbeatable.

• 2 Hadrian // Dec 16, 2007 at 11:15 AM

id rather wait and take him on a free , certainly wouldnt be happy in paying the reported fee’s that were being banded about .
    im just looking forward to all the youngsters were gonna bring in :)

• 3 scott 9 // Dec 16, 2007 at 12:16 PM

bit of a shame but they are better players than brown we can get anyone seen lassana diarra wants to quite arsenal in jan sam go and get him hes 20 a good age a and be a better option in dmf than geremi and butt in my opinion diarra and barton in the middle thats a good central midfield

• 4 Dragoner // Dec 16, 2007 at 12:29 PM

diarra doesn’t want to quit, that is utter rubbish, however, diaby is getting quite frustrated on the bench and he would be just what we need to replace our awful defensive midfielder Nicky Butt

Diaby can play DM, CM, LW, and SS

• 5 Tom_Toon // Dec 16, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Indian toon, sylvestre top quality you gotta be joking. Brown aint a bad defender but you can get much better abroad and for half his wages and just need to give them a bit of time to settle.

• 6 wsq // Dec 16, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Alan Hutton !!!!!! Alan Hutton!!!!! alex ferguson is lettting go of brown to let hutton in.. beat him to it I SAY!

• 7 Michael // Dec 16, 2007 at 1:15 PM

‘…our awful defensive midfielder Nicky Butt’ What a ridiculous statement

• 8 Dragoner // Dec 16, 2007 at 1:30 PM

why is it ‘ridiculous’…oh maybe you like DM who constantly give the ball away

• 9 wsq // Dec 16, 2007 at 2:43 PM

butt is getting really careless i wouldn’t deny that, maybe he’s being asked to carry much more responsibility than he can wield

• 10 Bill f // Dec 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM

At the risk of making what sounds like a daft statement, but players can make mistakes when they are trying too hard. Dunno if this is the case but I chuck it in as a thought.

• 11 scott 9 // Dec 16, 2007 at 4:34 PM

yes butt isnt awful hes not great but saying hes awful is ridiculus he not great at passing
    AND BY THE WAY DRAGONER IF U GO ON SKYSPORTS IT WILTELL U DIARRA WANTS TO QUITE HE
    DIARRA-We’re halfway through December, and I’ve decided: I want to leave Arsenal. The bottom line is the coach doesn’t need me,” Diarra told L’Equipe.

Low-key

“They don’t want me. I don’t understand, because I’ve got more value in the French national team.”

“When I signed for Arsenal I was made promises by the people who recruited me,” he added.

“But since the start of the season the only matches I’ve been involved in have been low-key, and to be honest I’m getting fed up with it.

“With Mr Wenger, there’s no problem whatsoever. I’m not going to criticise him or speak badly of him. I’m not the kind of person who creates problems.

“But I signed for Arsenal because I was led to believe I was going to be playing, and there would be healthy competition. That hasn’t been the case.”

• 12 scott 9 // Dec 16, 2007 at 4:35 PM

SO ITS NOT UTTER RUBBISH ACTUALLY AND DIABY GET REAL WE HAVE N O CHANCE

• 13 Tom_Toon // Dec 16, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Grindheim would be good if you wanted a new dm for little money.

• 14 Dragoner // Dec 16, 2007 at 5:39 PM

in MY opinion Butt IS awful and the quicker he goes the better

Concerning Diarra, im always sceptical when i hear about players saying certain things to foreign press…(Emre incident that turned out not to be true) Either way i do not think Diarra will leave Arsenal for us.

Why isn’t Diaby a realistic prospect if Diarra is??

• 15 Jaypro // Dec 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Butt tries hard but he’s past it.

• 16 leo // Dec 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM

nicky butt is past it. He may make alot of tackles but only becz he gave the ball to them in the 1st place. Nd usually gts carded. His passing is aweful but he is is an experienced player

previous post: Reflections on Fulham Newcastle Game