Cacapa Happy To Be Back For Newcastle

Cacapa had an excellent game on Saturday as Newcastle kept their first away clean sheet in over a year.

claudio.jpg

Claudio Cacapa – glad to be back in Newcastle defense

We heard yesterday how much David Rozehnal enjoyed playing with Claudio in the heart of Newcastle’s defense. Claudio talked to the Evening Chronicle and finally admitted to not being fully fit for the Pompey game, because of a hamstring problem.

He told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It’s been a frustrating time for me since that game with Portsmouth, and all I wanted to do was to get back into my black-and-white shirt again.”

“If the truth was known, I should not really have played against Portsmouth because I was carrying a hamstring injury, but I let my heart rule my head that day because obviously I am new to the club and I did not want to let anybody down.”

“However, while the manager substituted me against Portsmouth, he has been great with me telling me that in all his experience he has never known a player who never had an off-day.”

Sam Allardyce is nothing if not a motivator of his players, so it’s good to hear how he’s handled Claudio since the Portsmouth game. We get an idea of just why Sam’s players will run through a brick wall for him.

Claudio continued:

“Now I can only hope that I have had my off-day for this season and I can help us maintain our current good form.”

“Like all hamstring injuries, mine has taken some time to heal and, after just having 45 minutes in our practice match with Hartlepool on Thursday, I thought that the most I could hope for was a place on the substitutes bench at Craven Cottage.”

“However, when Steven Taylor went down, ironically with a hamstring injury – I volunteered to play against Fulham.” “I knew the manager and the rest of the players had confidence in me and I hope I repaid them on Saturday.”

Cacapa played Champions League football for Lyon for 5 years before coming to Newcastle in the summer. And before the Portsmouth game to be honest, he had looked very steady and classy at the back for Newcastle. So it was a real surprise when he looked so hopeless against Portsmouth.

We would expect Claudio to keep his place in Newcastle’s defense for the visit of Derby County next weekend, and we expect his partner to be young Steven Taylor. It would be good to see how these two play together and certainly Steven can learn a lot, in a very short time, from the talented Brazilian.

We know Claudio will get a great reception from the Newcastle fans now that the Portsmouth game is finally behind him.

Comments very welcome.

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM

i can coment on every article except the players newcastle neeed in jan, what going on ed?!?

• lull

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Its comforting to see Cacapa to be on the back-four again 🙂

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:14 PM

LOL @ Tom Toon

I bet its killing you that you cant comment on that specific article isn’t it huh? lol

Tom Toon “we should get grampiflehj from fluinese, rgiifinsqa from river plate and jokellamnjim from boca juniors etc etc” lol

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:17 PM

I was simply going to say:

We can go through to summer with minimal transfers of first teamers and we simply need someone who has versatility and creativity in one, who is also young – Hedwiges Maduro

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:23 PM

what league is he in and what nationality

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Dutch – Plays for Ajax
    Hes Dutch Under 21 Captain and 12 full caps, hes 22 and free agent in the summer and ajax dont want to extend his contract, some situation with de Jong, now look how good he is.

Maduro can play anywhere in defence or midfield although e prefers cm and cb.

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM

well im not going to lie, he sounds good, and for cheap he would probably be a good signing seeing as he is 22 and likely to join the senior dutch squad in the next few years.

Let me ask you, have you ever heard of Dor Malul? apparently this guy is really young and can play cb, rb, dm, cm, rw, and ss

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:45 PM

joker, never heard of him.

Maduro has 12 full caps for the senior side and was in the world cup 2006

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I have now but i cant say ive ever heard or seen him. Hes israeli so im gussing he might be fairly crap although, ben sahar ad guy assulin and eli zizov look promising.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

toto tamuz also doesnt look to bad.

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I have seen Jelle Van Damme and Frutos of Anderlecht a few times, most recently against tottenham, and they seem very good, especially Frutos

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM

yer but you saw with furtos he got onjured an was injured so many times before, back kneee injury he was out for like a year and a half, kneee injuries are the worst they seem to haunt the player. Van damme has played in the prem before but when he was like 19 and flopped but defintely looked good vs spurs.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Just went on an Ajax forum and they say the club have offered him NEW 2 YEAR contract but he has half a day to decide cos hes not sure if he wants to stay there, could be good news if hes on sams radar, if he has scouts in thedutch league hen its likely cos maduro is extremely hrd working for the team, hes much like barton bu more versaile, better passer and less agressive.

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:14 PM

i got a bad feeling Sam is going to miss out on Arshavin. Either because he is just not Sams type of player, or chris mort (who, despite what others think, is coming across as a bit of an arse) wont want to spend a bit of money

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

chris mort is annoying me a bit…he may have the right idea with the youth signings but i can see through his PR trickery. The man seems quite arrogant and determined to et everyone know HE is calling the shots, he says the word ‘I’ way too much. “I dont think signing this player is right because…” etc

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I also thought that, thats why i suggested maduro.

• Dragonera

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

surely sam should handle what players to sign as he has the idea of what team he wants and therefore should sign the players he wants, within reason of course

• Leo

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:05 PM

you have to sign up or sign in now to comment on articles…. incase you hadnt found out by now tom_toon

• scott 9

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:27 PM

sam here tom toon i had to register and

• scott 9

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM

but i still couldnt comment cause no password was sent to me

• Rich

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I agree that Chris Mort seems a bit tight fisted to be honest. I know its great bringing in thr youth players but to say he wants to make Newcastle challenge at the top and not spend a penny seems a bit disollusioned to me

• Cockney Magpie

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:21 PM

does anybody know if the Derby match is on tele sunday??

• Jon

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Faye and Cacapa in the heart of Newcastle’s defence 🙂

• G.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Dear god, i hope no one mentions the name Frutos again when we talk about possible NUFC targets.
    He is way to injury prone, and only manages to score lucky goals. He’s an arrogant weiner as well cause he’s always taunting the cbs and arguing with the referee ..

Don’t like him, would never like to see him in a b&w shirt!

Vandamme for leftback is decent but not topclass, so nothing for NUFC.. He has played a year in southampton if i’m not mistaken?

• Penalty-Spot

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Cockney Magpie: I think it is and according to nufc.com (sorry Ed) it’s on Sky with a weird 2pm kick off? Can’t wait! Please let me know if I’m wrong.

• ToonKing

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:45 PM

your not wrong 😉

• Ashton

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Chikhaoui well be a good buy in jan
    and as for the israeli kikes i would love to see Ben Sahar in black and white shirt but i doubt about it .

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Ashton ive raved about Chikhaoui because he is an immense player but hes african, anc, so it doesnt make it any better.

• Ashton

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Nashat Akram is a good playmaker
    he well be free next summer oh and he is exactly fat sam type he is big tall young lad with good defensive abilities and i think he well fit in the PL
    he rejected sunderland before because they where too stingy 🙂 dirty monkey mackems .

• Ashton

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:25 AM

I don’t get it whay the fans and managers are freaking out with the african nations cup its only four weeks for god sakes

and we we well just missing beye
    cause the other african players where shite this season so far .

• Karl

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:50 AM

i had a look at Maduro when he first made his name at Ajax … given he is such a good young player, a established Dutch int’l and a free-agent-to-be, why will he come to us? no European football, no strong midfield play, no big-name boss nor renowned club tradition (for him w/o any taste of EPL) … but we all know Butt and Geremi need to be replaced in CM and a cheap/on-loan Sidwell may be what we can hope for in reality …

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Same reason alo of players have recently and in the past, the appeal of the premiership.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Maduro is a very real target unlike what many people suggest.