The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Who Will Be Newcastle Captain in January?

12:28 pm, Thursday, December 20th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Sam Allardyce is admitting today that he faces a decision in the next couple of weeks. Who will he appoint Newcastle captain in January to replace Geremi, who is off to the African Nations tournament.

sam-and-geremi.gif

Sam and Geremi - that famous rock group

Geremi will be off in early January to represent his country Cameroon, although Newcastle have not yet been told when Geremi has to report to the Cameroon squad.

Allardyce said today:

“I have had a lot of difficult decisions to make since I came to St James’ Park.”

“But I have to say that deciding on just who was going to be my captain is probably one of the most difficult, and now I will have to decide again.”

“Obviously, we are losing Geremi at the turn of the year and I will give a lot of thought as to who will replace him as captain of Newcastle United.”

There are plenty of candidates to take over from Geremi and once he gets back he will of course resume his captaincy. We think the candidates for the job in January would be Shay Given, Alan Smith and Steven Taylor, although not necessarily in that order.

What do you think? Who should assume the captaincy of Newcastle United in Geremi’s absence?

Let us know – comments always welcome – just keep the language respectable. :D

Tags: Geremi · Habib Beye · Newcastle News · Shay Given · Steven Taylor

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 ObaFan2 // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I don’t think Geremi is the obviou

• 2 Tom_Toon // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:34 PM

smith ;l

• 3 ObaFan2 // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I don’t think Geremi is the obvious NUFC captain ? imo he’s not guaranteed a place in the team.

Barton is the only name that comes to mind but maybe he’s not ready or maybe the responsibility might be good for him……… but yet again he might be imprisioned next year!!!

that kinda leaves Shay.

• 4 milner fan // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM

TAYLOR!!!

• 5 Soren // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Won’t Beye be off too in January? :) Think it will be either Butt or Smith who gets the armband. Personally I would like to see Taylor as captain, as he very passionate about Newcastle, and seems to be a good organizer/leader.

• 6 Kevin Dodds // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM

i think it should be nicky butt

• 7 Ed Harrison // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Yes of course Beye is off playing for Senegal. Changed it. :D

• 8 Craig Futers // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:46 PM

It’ll either be Butt or Smith

I would rather see Joey Barton get it

Please pray when Geremi returns he cant get back in the team! He’s a very average player, not too bad, not too good, mediocre, just alright…. just canny shit

• 9 jiM Baker // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Owen ……… hahhaha

• 10 Bosck // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Well considering Habib Beye is likely to be playing for senegal isnt he i don’t reckon he’d be the right choice!!!! ;)

Not sure how good his english is yet but if it is up to scratch my captain would actually be Cacapa. Former captain of a champions league side and, if you ignore the portsmouth game, a solid, commanding presence in our team.

aside from that for me it would be between joey barton and shay given. barton for many would not be a popular choice, but as highly as i rate shay, i don’t like goalkeepers as captains.

taylor may be a captain for the future but he will at the moment have been tasked with learning off cacapa etc so wouldnt make sense for him to be captain for now.

• 11 jiM Baker // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:50 PM

hhhmmmm seriously i think maybe Smith (he really needs to produce some goods though), but to be honest no one really stands out.
    I ‘d like to think that someone like Taylor could take the armband in the future

• 12 bobby // Dec 20, 2007 at 12:53 PM

nicky butt all the way. he is the only one with some fire in his belly

• 13 Leo // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:03 PM

nicky butt isnt the only one with fire in his belly, he may have been at the red devils but doesnt mean he is full of it.

barton or smith for me… cacapa would be good but i dont like to see a defender as the captain

• 14 Dragoner // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

please no! not nicky butt, i dont even want him in the team anymore much less captain, barton or smith are best options

• 15 Cockney Magpie // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Id pick Joey everyday of the week

• 16 ToonKing // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:15 PM

only two choices Sam : Joey or Smithy.

• 17 Valle // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Barton or Smith, take ur pick…

• 18 Obafan // Dec 20, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Those who want Taylor for captain have to be serious and say that he is not capable of being a captain of a team just because he has got so much passion for our club (the same can be told from Milner).

For me it is important to look for someone who is a leader on the pitch and who also has lots of experience.

3 names are immediately in my mind:
    1. Cacapa; lots of experience and his position in the squad is also 1 which asks lots of commanding qualities. He’d be my 1st choice

2. Given; experience, but IMO a goalkeeper can never command his teammates as much as a field player.

3. Butt; but I don’t prefer him and I think if SA wanted Nicky as his captain then he would have named him as his captain in August.

• 19 steve // Dec 20, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Barton or Cacapa are the only options for me Taylors not ready yet and I agree with previous comments about having a goalkeeper as captain.
    Smith isn’t captain material and IMO Butt shouldn’t be playing week in week out due to his terrible passing stats.

• 20 Southside Jordy // Dec 20, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Ramage

• 21 Alex Brett // Dec 20, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Give it to Cacapa or Given!!! It doesnt matter that Given is a keeper, we have other leaders in Butt, Barton, Smith even Viduka!!

It doesnt really matter who the captain is, aslong as the team play for each other and respect each other we will be fine!!

• 22 Howie // Dec 20, 2007 at 3:45 PM

stephen carr

• 23 ToonKing // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Bring back Titus for Captain !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 24 Howie // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:06 PM

what about shola. a true leader there

• 25 Southside Jordy // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Bramle is our king!!! Ha Ha Ha

• 26 Grunde Axelsen // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Barton!

• 27 Sinead // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM

I don’t know.
    Smith he CAN be a good leader in the middle of he pitch or wherever it is that Sam decides to play him this week. But when a game is going bad, he can sometimes change it, but more often then not he ends up making it worse with bad, late tackles. He’s a short fuse.

Who else Taylor..no. Butt if he plays maybe.

Given, I know Sam doesn’t like the idea of keeper captains but Shay captained Ireland a good few times, there was a bit of annoyance when Robbie Keane was picked instead. Many say it was Stans first mistake, on a very long list of mistakes. Still he’s a good captain. What I’ve seen, he seems to thrive under having the armband. He did brilliantly well when he’d to captain the Irish side in Croke Park. And that is pressure like. I think he’d make a good captain.

But like, that’s the options, that it. Out of the group listed above I’d probally say that Given would be the best opption, he’s a lot of experience and he’s captained both Ireland and Newcastle in the past and did so well.

• 28 dragoner // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM

how did i know sinead was going to say that

• 29 scott 9 // Dec 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM

barton or shay no one else

• 30 Ryan // Dec 20, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I don’t think Joey Barton is a wise captain for us. Base on his report, he almost get a yellow card for each match. Captain must be able to lead and influence the team. Furthermore, he must acquire the ability and experience in football. So, i personally think Shay Given is a wise choice also.

• 31 Stamford Toon // Dec 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM

After the African break Cacapa for captain to fill in till then Butt. Smith has too short a fuse. Taylor is too young and inexperienced. Certainly not Barton to be considered till after the results of the court caser against him and he needs to prove that he can hold his temper for a good while yet. I suspect Geremi is better at captaining than we know, just because his play has not been so good does not meen that he is not good with the other players. Sam did talk about him being a good communicator and he seems an intelligent bloke.

• 32 toonmadtom // Dec 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM

i think smith has deserved it he plays 100% every game. taylor and milner are a bit to young

• 33 steve // Dec 20, 2007 at 7:27 PM

smith has played 100% shite every game – he’s an honest player and gives it his all but he’s just not good enough at this level. He’ll never be a true midfielder and he can’t score goals or assist as a striker – he’s also our most booked player which aint great for a captain – I’d say Cacapa

• 34 Reb // Dec 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM

For all the criticism of Allardyce’s pick for captain, now it comes to it…who do you pick?

Owen — 10 years in the league, good reputation, great head on his shoulders, gives 100% in matches, BUT both a striker who plays as far away from the heart of the pitch as Given (opposite ends of course) and while apparently well-liked and well-respected, is injured quite often. I won’t exactly be surprised to see Allardyce try it though.

Smith — fairly experienced, always gives 100%, plays more towards the centre of the pitch BUT is often carded as it is, and the responsibility of captaincy doesn’t seem likely to make him less aggressive. He’s taken the armband before, and I won’t be surprised to see Sam go this route either.

Given — longest-serving player at the club, well-respected by the squad and popular with the fans, great at his position BUT he is a keeper, and doesn’t seem to be a great communicator with his backline, let alone the entire outfield.

Butt — plays in midfield, keeps his head, can play very well BUT can also play rather poorly and require substitution fairly early in the match.

Cacapa — Did anyone see the interview after the Fulham match — honestly, can this man effectively and quickly communicate with his English teammates or the official? I’m not sure a player who’s English is so spotty is the best bet for a team with a good number of Englishmen, and the English, well…we ain’t known for being multilingual.

Barton — simply NO. At least not until he proves he can hold his temper (anyone remember that incident in the Sunderland match?) and the court case against him has been sorted. Also, he’s not been consistent yet in the midfield, and may have the some problem there as Nicky Butt. Barton’s temper is as infamous as Owen’s fitness. I’d take my chances with Owen’s fitness (he’s due some sort of luck) over Barton’s self-control.

Who is there to pick? If he’d been fit, I’d say Owen despite where he plays, but let’s not pressure the little Welshman anymore than necessary. And Smith’s biggest problem is his tendency to get booked. I honestly don’t know who Sam will pick. I don’t even know who I’d pick.

• 35 adaaaam // Dec 20, 2007 at 8:56 PM

i want smith or barton, itd be class havin a striker by the name of alan bein our captain again but i bet BS flippin gives it to owen

• 36 Brisbane Mag // Dec 20, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Alan Smith is the obvious candidate for captain although giving it to Joey Barton will give him added responsibility.

They can both be pretty reckless at times and need responsibilities, so either one as captain for me…..

• 37 Tom_Toon // Dec 20, 2007 at 9:51 PM

g

• 38 Tom_Toon // Dec 20, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Emre for captain, nuff said.

• 39 Aussie geordie // Dec 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM

I think Barton is the only choice. It will settle him down, make him work harder and strengthen his desire to his job. Smith is a striker who cannot score and who is most likely to get red carded no matter what the circumstances. Viduka would be good if he played more.

• 40 ilkkaustoon // Dec 21, 2007 at 5:18 AM

i agree with cacapa not being picked for the captain he cant speak english properly what good is that if he has to spend 20 minutes to get a translator on the field everytime he wants to communicate something to his players.
    Id have to go with smith anyone who shows that kind of commitment to football deserves a reward and besides i think the responsibility would cool the lads head and would also work to motivate the players better especially if he is partnering owen up front i think id love to see him give a good boot up owens backside

• 41 Daniel Petersen // Dec 21, 2007 at 5:22 AM

I have a feeling it will be Smith. The armband always seems to fall to him when Geremi is subbed off.

• 42 john hancock mutual life insurance // Jan 4, 2008 at 10:10 AM

thank you for your wonderful web site. I liked it very, very much.

• 43 group healthcare healthcare kennewick wa // Jan 6, 2008 at 7:02 AM

This is a great page. And the contents are really that worth reading. I will add this to my own library

previous post: Two Bidders For Northern Rock

next post: Sam – We Frustrated Fulham (and Fans)