Sad to say that defending let us down again yesterday. Here are some reflections the day after the disaster, that was Newcastle only getting a draw with bottom-placed Derby County at home yesterday. Before the game yesterday Derby had one point and scored only one goal on their travels this season. As we said – it was a disaster from a Newcastle point of view.
- Defensive errors cost us yesterday yet again. The second goal was taken nicely by Kenny Miller but we had our two central defenders, Cacapa and Rozehnal, and one of them should have stopped Kenny. Bad goal to give away for Newcastle but a good goal for Derby County â€“ only their 3rd goal away from home all season. They had already scored their second through Giles Barnes after just 6 minutes.
Why don’t we buy him in January?
- We wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sam plays Taylor and Faye as our central defenders against Wigan on Boxing Day and gives Cacapa and Rozehnal a rest. Rosehnal has played too many games recently, and he deserves a rest and it will do him the world of good. Don’t even have him as substitute on Wednesday.
- As well as some poor defending we are not taking our chances when they come. It’s true that most of them are just half chances but we should still be putting a higher percentage of these away
- Our major beef with Sam is that he is playing too many of our players out of position. We had Smith, Martins, Nâ€™Zogbia and Milner not playing in their favored positions yesterday. You canâ€™t expect to get the best out of the players when you do this. Itâ€™s something Graeme Souness kept doing and it just never works. Many managers have proved that over the years – the best 11 players donâ€™t always make the best team.
- We donâ€™t like a 4-3-3 formation because we donâ€™t believe we have the players that can play that system effectively. But we do have players who can play 4-4-2. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, play Nâ€™Zogbia and Milner on the wings â€“ and that means Charlie on the left and James on the right.
- Weâ€™d even be happy to play 4-4-2 on Wednesday with Duff and Milner on the wings and Charlie still at left back. As long as we go with an attacking formation against Wigan, who are second bottom of the league and a team we should defeat.
- Donâ€™t play Smudge Smith on the flanks. Weâ€™d like to see him play in central midfield or as a striker, or have him on the bench.
- We moved up one place in the league yesterday, thanks to Blackburn being beaten 1-0 by Chelsea at home. We stand 9th in the league so just imagine where we could be if we had been playing well this season.
In fact maybe we should play Viduka and Smith as strikers in this attacking team for Wigan Athletic:
Beye Faye Taylor Nâ€™Zogbia
Milner Butt Barton (Emre) Duff
Subs: Harper, Capapa, Emre (Barton), Martins, Enrique
That looks a strong team and has a lot of goal scoring capability, and make no mistake about it, the only way to make up for the draw yesterday is to get all 3 points from our game at Wigan on Wednesday. That’s certainly a possibility and it’s what we are now hoping for, that’s for sure. 😀