After watching the game again on TV this afternoon, here are the reflections we have on the Wigan Newcastle game this afternoon, which Wigan Athletic won 1-0.
Damien Duff – played well today on Newcastle’s left wing
- Damien Duff had a good game and looked a good player this afternoon. As the games go by we think Duff will only get better. After his performance today, he will no doubt start against his former club, Chelsea, on Saturday afternoon in London.
- The back four were extremely solid today and it was one of the best performances by the defense for a long time. Faye and Taylor were very strong at the back in the center, and this could be a budding partnership for the future. They are both no-nonsense players.
- The goal was a good goal by Ryan Taylor but it was to the side that Shay Given was covering. When Taylor took the kick Shay seemed to move to his left and the ball crept inside Shay’s right hand post. To us there had to be some questions about Shay’s positioning for the goal.
- The team seems far too regimented and reminds us of the Russian football teams of the communist era. Organized tremendously well, but no creativity whatsoever. Maybe Sam should just tell the players to go out and enjoy themselves. They’ll probably play a lot better.
- It’s hard to believe we had even less creativity than Wigan today, when you consider the players we have like Emre, Duff, N’Zogbia and Milner in the side. We had no cutting edge in attack today. Viduka had an indifferent game today following his heroics on Sunday.
- Surprisingly, Titus Bramble had an easy and solid game at the back for the Latics. He headed off the line in the second half when Wigan got themselves into a defensive tangle. Viduka kicked the ball over his head, and it was going into the net before Titus got back and nicely headed off the line.
- Newcastle don’t play with enough urgency during the first half. It’s almost like they are seeing time out, and wait to try to win the game in the second half. If we started attacking from the start maybe we could actually be ahead at half time.
- It was a flat performance from Newcastle United today, and Wigan just about deserved their win. We will need to do a lot better against Chelsea on Saturday – they actually have some great players in their side.
Comments very welcome.