Barton Let Himself, Sam, Club and Fans Down

Sam Allardyce is under some pressure, there’s little doubt about that, since even in the best of times, being manager of Newcastle United is not an easy job. And today are not the best of times for the club.

joey-barton-9839.jpg

Joey Barton – has blown a wonderful opportunity at Newcastle United

Sam has one of his players, Joey Barton, facing charges of common assault and affray, after a 5.30am city center incident on Thursday morning. Sam has talked little of Barton and the situation but he did say something yesterday, and it turns out Sam has talked to Barton since he was remanded in custody on Thursday in Liverpool.

Allardyce said:

“Yes, I feel let down by him, of course I do. There’s no question about that, but I’ve got to deal with that quietly and privately when the opportunity arises.”“The Joey Barton thing is something we had to put behind us because we’ve got so many games in such a short period of time.”

“We’ll deal with that later on and find out what the outcome is, when I get the opportunity, with the chairman.” “It’s disappointing, very, very disappointing, but I can’t really comment any further than that.”

“I have spoken to him. But I’m not going to tell you what was said. I don’t want to comment any more on the Joey Barton situation.”

It’s hard to put a positive light on what Barton has done and he seems to have thrown his last chance out of the window. Whatever anybody says, we think it was to Sam’s credit to bring Barton to the club.

Everybody likes a person who has been in trouble and can come back and make good, The Newcastle fans were hoping for that scenario and gave Joey lots and lots of support, let there be no doubt about that.

But Joey has disgraced himself once again, and it’s difficult to see how the club can retain a player in so much trouble with the law. Newcastle will need to make a decision sooner rather than later on Barton, and we think he’s just blown a wonderful chance he had to make good at Newcastle United Football Club.

Let us know what you think. Comments welcome.

• thelongshanks

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:33 AM

I havent seen even one great performance from him since he joined us.I think he just wants to pick up his wages.Sad though, cause he wanted to play for man city and his style would have been great in the centre midfield for the toon.

I really hope we had a clause in his contract cause if not it newcastle as usual wasting money in transfer market.

• Edd Case

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Stating the obvious.

I think writing an article on Barton is a waste of time Ed.

But in response, you are indeed right, he’s let everyone down.

Still, we’ve thrown millions away on players before, perhaps this wretched club will have done this for the last time now.

Barton’s contract must be terminated and we move on.

• Cyprus Mag

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:40 AM

While I think Barton should never again darken Newcastle’s door, I doubt “terminating his contract” is an option. He has a contract and Newcastle have to honour it, ie pay him until it is finished. Shame.

• Ed Harrison

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Edd – you’re probably right – and it’s really depressing. Maybe I should take Sam’s cue and stop talking about the Joey situation. But it could have been a success story – that’s what’s so terrible about what Joey did. 🙁

• Edd Case

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Cyprus Mag – don’t be so daft man.

Newcastle certainly do not have to honour the contract as I bet my mortgage that Barton will have breached club rules – and breached them sufficently to be given the sack, thus terminating his contract.

It’s happened many times before to players – Mutu for eg.

• longdistance tooner

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Buying Barton was a display of stunning arrogance by Allardyce who probably believed that only he was ‘big’ enough to turn a little scumbag thug into a decent human being.

I felt deeply depressed when Allardyce signed him as it seemed to me to represent the nadir of a once great club/institution that it should sink so low as to put the chance of a so-called bargain purchase above the moral issues which surrounded buying a person who should not even be on the streets.

Any suggestion that Barton’s actions are a ‘disappointment’ are incredulous in the extreme – his track record screams out that he was always going to repeat offend and he always will. The boy has a major psychological default in his character only a fool would see anything else – what sort of man stubs out a lit cigar in someone else’s face for God’s sake – not a normal one.

Let’s get NUFC back to being a club for men and not one for whingeing, cowardly little guttersnipes.

• jenson button

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:58 AM

what do you think the scoreline will be against man city? BTW I HAVE TO STUDY AS I WILL TO SIT A MAJOR EXAM ON NOV 2008. WISH ME LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008. IMO, IN THE NEXT 2 GAMES SAM FATE SHOULD BE DECIDED. AFRAID THAT WE WILL BE RELEGATED

• Pi55 Off Sam

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Who bought him Sam? Sam believes his own hype too much!

• Sandy McNair

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Well said – longdistance tooner

• Rob

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I was all for giving him a go, he has shown glimpses of getting back to some sort form, but my condition for giving him a go was that we did not get into any trouble off the pitch so given that, I have no more time to support him.

and he called the nufc fans viscous, thats rich eh?

• andyc290

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:16 AM

@ longdistancetooner. A once great club/institution? You think that by buying Barton we are no longer that? You sound like a typical armchair fan who basically regurgitates everything the media throws at them. Overeacting about the slightest bad thing and overeacting about the slightest good thing.

Lets get one thing straight – having a couple of fights doesnt mean that someone should be locked up for life – fair enough Sam gave him another chance but I dont think the price tag had alot to do with it. Joey Barton with an unblemished record wouldd only have cost 4 or million more, and we wouldnt have been shy of paying it. Sam obviously thought that Barton would repay his trust, obviously he hasnt so that was a bad call but we shouldnt let it do more damage to our club by calling for Allardyces head because of it.

• Neil A H

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM

And to think Sam forced Scott Parker out the door for Barton. I personally thought Scott Parker was great for Newcastle and was very sad to see him leave.

• scott 9

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:37 AM

to f*cking right hes let us down i thought he was gonna be exellent for us i even got his name on the back of my away shirt im gutted what a t*at

• Southern_Magpie

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Buying Barton was an accident waiting to happen. He still has so much to prove in a toon shirt and only looked the part in a dreadful Man City team last season.

I think he still should be given to chance to justify the amount we paid for him but that depends on the length of sentence he gets. He broke club rules, as well as let Sam down, the person who has put so much faith in him. We gave him the chance to turn over a new leaf but has thrown it back on our faces.

There is no room at the club for personalities like Barton, and it is now up to Allardyce and Mort to decide his future. Unfortunately I doubt Barton will ever change his ways and leaving his team mates and running lose with friends is not a way to prove his critics wrong.

I don’t know if Barton is still getting help over his behavior, but this was a part of buying him and this aggressiveness his just his nature unfortunately. I cant believe Sam could think that he had changed his ways.

• Steeley

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Neil A H – I’ll raise a glass to that! I remember seeing Parker bloodied and on the floor almost unconcious but still trying to get up and make a tackle…that’s dedication for you….and I think the only bloodied person we’ll ever see near Barton on a pitch is someon he just battered!

• Obafan

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Cyprus MAg – I think this is a reason why they can terminate his contract. Something which needs to be done IMO. If you should have done what Barton already has done, I think no-one would give you a contract to work for him/her.

SO: DELETE THE CONTRACT ASAP!!! BARTON IS NOT WORTH TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE BY ANY CLUB IN THE EPL!!!

I really feel bad for all the people who tried to help him the last years (including SA who also gave him a fantastic chance!!!)

• Hadrian

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM

bartons sitting in a cold cell right now , poor lad , those tiles will be freezing this time of year 😀

• carl

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:23 PM

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article634012.ece check this link out, barton being a knob again

• Leo

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:46 PM

happy new year to you all.

haha especially joey barton, i hope you are allowed internet access in jail because then you can read what we all think of you

calling the fans vicious!!! haha good one.

enjoy getting bumed to the tune of ole lang sang hahahaha

• scott 9

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:12 PM

int he on 70 grand a week aswell and hes sitting in prison

• Eve

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:03 PM

I know I’ll probably be shot at for this but, surely he’s not beyond rescuing. Never mind.

• die hard toon

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM

Why sam got Barton anyway every game he plays in i always got my fingers cross hoping he and Smith don’t relive Dyer & Bowery