Oba Wants Two Wins Before Leaving Newcastle

Oba Martins wants to leave the Tyneside club on a good note, and he still has two games left at Newcastle before he leaves for the African nations Cup with Nigeria next month.

oba-martins-falling.gif

Oba Martins – enjoying his training at Newcastle

Needless to say Oba would like Newcastle to win both those games, but he’s missed quite a few chances lately, including a couple of very good ones in the first half last Saturday against Chelsea. Seems like Oba needs to find more composure when he is presented with these chances, and he can probably learn a few things from Michael Owen, in that regard.  But we also have to remember Oba is just 23 years old and he’s still learning his trade.  He should become a much better player in the future, if nortured correctly.

Oba told the Newcastle Journal today:

“I’ve only got two more games left before I go and play for Nigeria and I want to help us win them both,” “I don’t want to leave Newcastle with the memories of defeats. I just hope we win our next two games, against Manchester City and the FA Cup game against Stoke, and then I can concentrate on trying to help Nigeria win the African Cup.”

“It’s like a World Cup for us, it is very special and it is something I am looking forward to. But my Newcastle team-mates are also very important and I want to leave my club when they are in a good position.”

Oba has just turned 23 and believes there were some good signs against Chelsea to prove things are not as bad as the team’s run of results suggests over the last 11 games, where we have picked up just a couple of wins and three draws – relegation form to be sure.

Oba continued:

“We did enough in the game to deserve a draw, so it is very difficult to accept that we are going back to Newcastle with nothing. Chelsea do not drop many points at home and they have not lost for more than 70 games here, I think, so a draw would have been a good result for us, especially after we lost at Wigan.”

“They had a few chances, but so did we. I had a couple in the first half which might have gone in. We are not getting much luck and it’s getting harder and harder to take it. I think everyone on the pitch knew the goal was offside, but the linesman and the referee did not give it. I don’t know why, but we are angry about it.”

“We have to recover quickly because we play Manchester City in a few days at home and our fans will expect us to win that.” “I don’t even know if I will be playing in that game, Michael (Owen) is fit again, but I hope I do. It will not be an easy game, but it is one we need to win after two defeats in a row.”

Oba’s right about the fans wanting a win against Manchester City, and that’s a good possibility. But what Big Sam has to ensure is that the leads give a 100% performance with no stupid mistakes at the back, and if we can keep a clean sheet (how many times have we said that?) we’ll have a good chance to win. But again, the performance of the team has to show the fans that improvement is happening.

If we can show that, and also get the win, things will be much rosier in the Newcastle United garden. That’s an absolute certainty.

But what do you think? Please let us know – comments always welcome.

• Steve_48

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:24 AM

He aint the only one

• George

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Oba wants two wins before going on cup duty, well i will do with one win out of the two, and that is because it will help us from dropping down the table and being amongst our local rivals Sunderland and the Boro. If we get two wins we will be playing into SAs hands of being on a run again!

• Bobby Ollox

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Have been really disappointed with Martins this season – I know he has been badly managed by Sam ( playing him on the wing ???), but when he has had his chance he has fluffed it repeatedly.

I hope he has a good ANC, gets a hatful of goals, and comes back enthusiastic and sharp.

• Howie

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM

i hope senegal and nigeria have a stinker of a tournament whereas if geremi is away for a while, no problem

• Graeme

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Will a run in the FA Cup be to our advantage, or will it be a distraction from our only objective – being as high up the table as possible.

If they don’t beat Stoke, this blog will light up again with everyone calling for Sams head, doom and gloom will return. Better to go out of the cup early and concentrate on the league this season, get the misery over and done with asap!!

• Dragoner

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:59 AM

i just want martins to score a couple goals so i will be proved wrong. Last year I had a feeling this guys lack of composure was going to hit him one day. It is a shame because he really is an exciting player to watch when he is on form.

• Edd Case

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Oba wants two wins does he?

Oba wants to find his first touch, pace and finishing ability then, doesn’t he…..

• Obafan

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:44 PM

SA needs to give him confidence, but he doesn’t do that at all. Every time Owen gets back Oba needs to make place for him. What has Owen prooved for us??

Oba needs to learn to calm down when he has got the ball, he sometimes runs and shoots so careless, but on the other hand he did that last year at Spurs an what a result that was!!!

He is a good striker and he needs a run of games at his position and then he will proove that he can score lots of goals like he did last year!!!

• Dragoner

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Again, another point i agree with you Edd

• keith

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:31 PM

we should go and get santa cruz at blackburn hes good on the ball holds it up well hes strong and good in the air

• Hadrian

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM

ive been dissapointed by martins also this season , but can hardly blame the lad , scoreing goals is a confidence thing , and he’s hardly getting lots of that when he’s played out wide or dropped at the slightest sniff of owen being fit .

• Leo

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM

we will lose to man city and beat man united i would bet on it if i was a betting man odds would be good i think