Smith – Great Belief In Newcastle Squad

Alan Smith has been handed the captaincy by manager Sam Allardyce, with Geremi heading to the African Nations Cup later this month. But we expect the Smith captaincy will probably be permanent, even when Geremi returns in February.

Alan Smith – Newcastle’s new captain – fans have right to be disappointed

Smith however, is a doubt for tomorrow’s home game against Manchester City.  Alan suffered a concussion in a collision with team-mate Abdoulaye Faye at Stamford Bridge in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat. He then spent Saturday night in the hospital as a precaution after feeling unwell on the flight back to Newcastle. And it would seem prudent to give him a rest tomorrow night, just to make absolutely sure he’s OK.

But Smith seems determined to lead his club back up the Premier League as soon as possible, as he told the Shields Gazette today:

“There’s no better surroundings for me, because it’s intense, and everybody loves their football.” They’re demanding, and some people don’t like it, but I love it.”  “I’ve been at a one-club city before, and I know how much it means to everyone.”

“I had a massive disappointment (at Leeds), and I want to take this football club as far as it can go, and make sure in years to come people remember me as a player who gave everything for the cause and everything for Newcastle.”

Smith insists that Newcastle’s success-starved supporters – who have hardly been reticent to voice their anger at a number of pitiful  performances this season – have every right to be upset after every defeat.

Smith continued:

“There’s a great belief in our squad at the moment in the face of adversity.” The biggest things for us is that this club expects again.” “We expect from ourselves, and when people out there demand, we know we need to produce.”

“We don’t want the fans to be happy to come and watch us get beat. We want people out there who want to do as well as we do.” We know when they’re frustrated. We’re all frustrated. We’re as frustrated as the fans. That’s one thing we’ve got to reiterate to people.”  “This football as a whole wants to go in the right direction. The players, fans management, staff – everyone.”

Good words from Alan and we think he’ll make a good captain at Newcastle.  But we may not see him in action tomorrow night and that opens the way for a potential Viduka, Owen partnership up front.  Goals and points are what we are desperate for right now.

• Steeley

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Ed. for the first time in ages I think I agree with you…Smith will make a great Captain, I’m sure of it! I’ve been the first to get on his back this season because some of his performances have been dire, but you can deny that as an inspiring person on the field you cant go wrong! He may be wreckless in challenges, and play poorly (he only plays where Sam wants him to after all), but he’s got the guil and spirit that every footballer should have.

If Sam plays him where he should really play him – as either an AM or supportive Striker – then I think he will make a really good captain. However, as a sweeper, he will be useless! TAKE NOTE SAM!!!

P.S. I still think that Given should get the armband! Not always best to have a ‘keeper as captain, but the man bloody deserves it!

• Steeley

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Just read my comment back and I seem to contradict myself! D’Oh! Let m st myslelf straight….Smith has what it takes to be a great captain……but Given deserves it more!

• carl

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

i dont like smith as aplayer, yes hes commited and a good leader but he aint the right man for us, sick of him being in our starting line up.shit player who can only tackle, cant put a couple good passes together and is creative as rolf harris on heroin

• Graeme

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Smith is a battler and will also give 100% every game, unlike some. Unfortunately, we have better players for the spots he takes and he is lucky to get a game. He isnt our 2nd best striker, by a huge margin, he isnt our 2nd best Defencive midfielder orAttacking midfielder.

He keeps Zog at the back, when he should be in midfield, which limits our scope to attack, which he cannot provide.

With him out of the game tomorrow (fingers crossed) we should see a much better balanced team. If BSA remembers that we do have a genuine LB and then decides to play him of course!!!!

• scotty

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Personally, Taylor should get the armband – i’d rather Harps get it than Given!!!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

@Carl – It definitely is a happy new year, lets hope that happens every game.

• big al

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:07 PM

nicky butt would be a great team captain, he has great experience and alot of respect from the players, taylor is too young right now but definitely toon captain in the future (he still is too rash in some challenges and gets caught out, not yet in john terry or carraghers class yet) butt has won everything as a player pretty much and deserves it with his drive and enthusiasm.

• carl

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

yeah butt would be a good choice, as i dont mind him in the team, as long as we play a creative player with him.

• carl

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM

so now we know smith is out, what do you lot think the line up will be? it should really pick itself, but we all know sam!!

beye, faye, cacapa, enrique
    milner, butt, emre/nzogbia, duff/zog
    viduka, owen/martins

but as we know sam it could be

with roz, enrique,viduka,martins bench?

• daiv

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Ed, I can’t believe you are backing Smith as captain. He cannot play and should not be in the squad never mind be the captain. I expect commitment from every player. That is the bare minimum, so he is to be made the captain because he puts himself about. Great. he is a forward who cannot score, he cannot remain upright and make a tackle, he is as creative as my granny, he collects yellow cards for fun, he is too slow for words and will get sent off as captain. He is the worst choice as captain and I think Sam has lost the plot. sam’s worst decision. Making a player not worth his place in the squad as captain. Unbelievable.

• toonarmyapg

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM

i think smith will make a great captain but the only way the teams gonna get better is if we beleive in them and cheer em on instead of throwing abuse and wat weve got tot do is give big sam a chance not many managers win the f*ckin league in there first season with a new club if it was my decision id see how it went with him managering us for a couple more seasons coz its not helpin us wen we change our manager every 5 minuites and if its a total blow we should find a better manager like shearer.

• Leo

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM

well he did it previously with geremi, sams stuborn nd wont change his ways

• Mal

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Smith isn’t a good choice as captain. He is too reckless and gets countless unnecessary bookings – hardly a good example to the rest of the team. I think it will be interesting tomorrow without him in the team, as i think he duplicates other players, notably butt and geremi (only 1 of these 3 should ever play in midfield – butt is the most consistent). I really hope we are going to play 2 recognised strikers down the middle (from viduka, owen and martins) as playing 1 up front (or strikers as wingers) doesn’t work for us as we have no pace in midfeld.

• toonbully

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Theres only ONE captain , thats SHAY GIVEN , toon stalwart for too many years to mention , service , loyalty, passion , dedication , strength and vocally present .
    Forget Smithy and reward Shay !
    Not a sicky who is passing through collecting big money and then leaving like so many at toon…

• scotty

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM

toonbully you are blind if you think given is captain material. vocal???? what a joke! he is a good shot stopper at best, but he invites all the pressure on to the team by lumping the ball up front EVERY time he gets it! correct me if i’m wrong! he never bowls it to a defender or to anyone to be honest – he just boots it straight to the opposition.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM

id like to see krul take the no. 1 ASAP, he goes bloody mental at his defenders and is also a great shot stopper.

• toonbully

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM

scotty , our back four are allover the shop no confidence and cant hold the ball for toffee , do you blame wor shay ? Tell me a more worthy player with some service in the b&w’s…tb

• true

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Daiv, you ar ebang on the money, Smith should concentract on what he hasent doene for 3 years ie score a prem goal, or has he forgit he is ‘supposed’ to be a forward!

• evildick

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Smith is the obvious choice for me as captain. I agree Shay deserves it, but at the moment we need someone out there leading by example. We need commitment and we need balls. Smith should play upfront though, given time I believe he would put a few away. I’d like to see him and dukes start together more, use Owen as an impact sub (or just to get him fit for italand).

Hopefully we grab all 3 points tomorrow, it’s been a very frustrating season and I feel like we’re in a relegation battle.. but really we’re mid table so we still have time to pull it together and make a charge for uefa. and the FA cup of course! HOWAY!