Sam Thinks Job Safe For Now

Sam has talked about the pressure that comes to a manager, when he doesn’t have the results, and Sam fully expects that. But he thinks his job is safe for now and knows he needs to start winning games for that pressure to be relieved.

sam-allardyce-and-chirs-mort.jpg

Chris Mort and Sam Allardyce – seem to work well together – even in a crisis

Sam told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“We all know we have to get some wins on the board to stop the criticism that is coming our, and particularly my way,” “But no one has told me or anyone else that I am losing my job here. We have lost a few games of football, we have to accept that, but we can put it behind us.”

“ I always said it takes three to five years to build up a club properly and being judged after seven months is unfair. I know I have to win matches. I will be judged on that. If not more and more pressure will come on my position. Win and I can stop the pressure flying around.”

“One never knows but I can’t see any indication from Mike or Chris towards what has been speculated about. They have been absolutely fantastic with me from the time I started to right up to now. We have all experienced the highs and lows in the seven months that we have been together.”

Sam seems to have accepted that the Newcastle job will always pile pressure onto him. And we remember a few seasons back when Sam was with Bolton, and they struggled against relegation. At the time he said he was never going to go through that again. Strangely enough he didn’t, and from then on Bolton were always at the top end of the table.

Sam added:

“ “It was worse when I was at Bolton and we spent two seasons battling against relegation. We spent three months in the bottom three second year in. That was difficult making players believe they can get out of the bottom three. We didn’t get out of the bottom three until Boxing Day.”

“Then we never went back in, but it was pressure being there and it makes everyone so negative. At the moment we are in a bad run and we have to turn it round with three or four wins.”

“Here we are still 11th in the Premiership and in a position to go forward and string a few wins together. You try to stay focused and work towards the goal and keep the players as fit as possible and keep their confidence high. It brings out anger and determination in me.”

“I have not bumped in to a fan that has slagged me off yet. They have been okay. When you are not winning you expect criticism from the fans.” “We have to turn our good form into wins and points and we need a result to get through to the next round of the FA Cup. If we lose against Stoke I expect it will continue, I expect nothing less. We have to win the game and get to the next round.”

So it’s almost a certainty that Sam will keep his job, so we’d like for Sam to turn this thing round. Our hopes are not too high for Sunday night against Stoke City. Maybe that’s because we’ve lowered our expectations since the Manchester City game, but we think a draw would be good and a win would be great.

A loss will be more of the same of course, over the last 3-4 games – terrible. Maybe we’ll be surprised on the up side on Sunday night – we can only hope for the best.

Comments very welcome.

• awc88

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM

ive been against sam for a few weeks now but ive decided as long as we win tomorrow, im willling to give him till the end of the season, and hope we can finish 9/10th with a few good results and hop that this patience talk pays off

• adam

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM

“Here we are still 11th in the Premiership and in a position to go forward and string a few wins together”

well we got man utd, arsenal coming up, lets see if we climb the table after those games.

• Toonmadtom

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Bsa will come good. I think if he can get us to eighth he will stay another season. Then i think the only way is up.

• mark

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM

The only way is up! Baaaby! For you and me now.

Haha.

Anyway, Sam deserves time, its pointless sacking manager after manager. lets just stick by him, hes a good one.

• mark

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

And also, Ive never heard him talk sh!t yet, he always says, we can maybe do well this season, but it will take time. unlike souness and roeder who just went on about injuries.

• johnny

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Mark, you obviously did’nt hear his crap excuses in his post match interview after the City game. The guy has lost his players and will slowly lose whats left of his support as the season goes on. He is not a Toon manager.

• nightfall

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

“We have lost a few games of football, we have to accept that, but we can put it behind us.”

why the f**k should we accept that!?!? sam..you f***ed it all up with your tactics and team selections…why should we accept your idiotic mistakes (or better yet, SABOTAGE)?

• Leo

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

i would have actually gave him more time if he didnt constantly come out and talk to the press.

he really annoys me i think he has to shut up and improve our squad with his time.

• mark

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

johnny, all i heard him say was we should have beaten them but we couldnt finish our chances, and they could.

the only whinge i heard was elano should have been sent off, and they scored shortly after that, him being the scorer, which isnt really talking sh!t.

• scott9

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:48 AM

where has all the arshevin talk gone i hope sam mort and ashley are working on it quitly i really hope we get him any more news on the mystery transfer bid

• Pete

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:04 PM

3-5 years… good luck with that mate. Whatever progress he thinks is being made, it’s way too slow! Even though I’d sack him now, I’m afraid Mort/Ashley’s gonna keep him. After the 10 first games of the 08/09 campaign he’ll be sacked after a string of bad results. In the process probably wasting nufc transfer money on some 45 year old egyptian defensive midfielder

• Steeley

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:30 PM

“a draw would be good” – Ed, you’re starting to go crackers again in your articles! At would point did you make the decision that a draw against Stoke would be a good result!?!?!?!

Oh hang on, I know, it was when you realised that Sam is going to drag us into a relegation battle and that we might even be playing Stoke next season in the league!!

Adam – exactly mate, there are some bloody tough fixtures coming up (even Bolton will have us on edge because of the Sam link) and a few losses out of four would see us in 14th or 15th I think!

• milner fan

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM

After reading a few comments im not totally sure if your Newcastle fans or Real madrid? Coz ur all acting like we should be doing every1 5-0 home and away never being at fault. WFT????? So what we lost a few games n had sum shocking displays of so called football from alot of these over paid numpties, but you can expect 9 new players in to instantly bond, ye i know your all going to respond by saying man city, but hay lets see were they are at the end of this season. Remember Wigan couple seasons back? they were top 6 the 1st half of the season, then finished up mid table. So how about being true fans and taking the ruff with the smooth, if ya dont fancy that there a team called man u that wins week in week out, fancy supporting them?

• ObaFan2

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM

“when I was at Bolton and we spent two seasons battling against relegation.”

Is it going to be different here ? lol

• Steeley

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Milner fan, the fact is that Man City are almost guaranteed AT LEAST a top half finish already becaus their manager is good at managing the team!

I presume you will therefore be happy fighting for survival this season in the name of Fat Sam’s survival??? IDIOT!

• Hadrian

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM

hehe , ruff with the smooth .
    says it all .