Sam – Robson and Keegan Didn’t Win Anything

Chairman Chris Mort and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley have stood by manager Sam Allardyce this season, and according to Sam they’ve been little short of great with him.

Sam Allardyce – Sam’s under pressure at Newcastle for results

But today Sam points out today that Newcastle haven’t won anything since we took Manchester City apart 3-1 in the 1955 FA Cup Tie, when the great Jackie Milburn scored with a header in the very first minute of that game.

However, as Newcastle keep losing matches, that support he currently enjoys from his bosses, will certainly start to weaken as Chris and Mike want to see Big Sam turn around the side’s fortunes, just as quickly as possible.

Sam talked about the difficult Newcastle job with the People today:

“Nobody’s really turned it round before me, have they?” “It’s 53 years since they won anything. Kevin Keegan had a right good try and built a great, great team but didn’t win anything.”

“Bobby Robson started it again, but it took him two years to get going. I think he finished 11th and 11th in his first two seasons.” “They didn’t win anything then either.”

“It’s a big, big job. That’s why I said it would take three to five years, because the quality of player and strength in depth needed to get that sort of success is a big, big job.”

“Do I have any regrets about taking over? No, not really. I had the chance before, turned it down and didn’t think I’d get another chance because of that, and I’m glad I did.” “I’ve never pretended it would be anything other than difficult to turn a club like this around into what it wants to be.”

“I am criticized for focusing on stopping our opponents playing. You tell me in whose philosophy that is not important. Was it not Manchester City’s philosophy here the other night?”

“It’s a nonsense to suggest that I’m a manager who does that more than them. What they do is wait and open you up when they’re ready because they have more talented players than most in the Premier League.”

Allardyce is adamant he is still the man to turn things around at St James’ Park. We think he can do that, and it will only take one result to potentially start that process. But Newcastle must keep playing well in the next few games, and show the fans we are moving forward. When asked if he should resign, it was obvious Sam bristled at the suggestion:

“”I haven’t done anything wrong yet. But if things went wrong, and I felt they were my fault, if that time came round, I would say it and I would go. But I don’t foresee that time coming round, although I do know that I’ve got to start winning matches.”

“ Many managers over the years have had a defining moment. I can remember Howard Kendall at Everton, when Peter Reid was playing for them.”

“But I don’t think I’m at the defining moment yet. I just want to make sure we go out at Stoke and win.” “We’re under pressure, we know that. We’ve got to accept that pressure and relieve it.”

“ It’s in our hands by way of winning football matches and by getting to the next round in this game and then focusing on getting Premier League points on the board.

“The vast majority of people watching on Sunday will think we are going to get beat. What we’ve got to do is go there and say, ‘We’re not’. We have to use that talk as a motivational tool.”

There’ll be another enquiry after the game today and whether that will be about Sam being sacked or not, will purely depend on the result of the game. Stoke City bare in 6th place in the Championship and look a good strong side. They will be motivated tonight, and that all gears towards a difficult encounter for the Magpies. But the players and Sam get paid big money to perform under these conditions.

We’ll see how they do by 8:00 pm tonight.

Comments always very welcome.

• Dave Atkinson

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Regardless of whether you think he should be fired or not, Big Sam keeps shooting himself in the foot. Banging on about Keegan and Robson failing to win things is just plain stupid if (and it’s a big if) he wants to drum up support for his own cause. Keegan with Sir John are the reason the club is where its at (premier, big stadium, etc ad nauseum). Robson himself inherited a weak and dispirited squad and got off to a blazer beating Sheff Wed 8-O. In the end Robson deserved to go as he’d lost the dressing room and despite what people say, he wasn’t fired for failing to win in the first 3 games of that season – it was becasue that woeful start followed a pathetic run-in the previous season. He and the team were going nowhere fast. Nevertheless, Sam should be VERY respectful of what those two managers achieved and be humble enough to acknowledge that he’s nowhere near that standard (at least on current evidence). Keegan famously said he didn’t care how the opposition approached the game, his team were just going to play their own game and go out to win. If Sam breathes that comment in and genuinely acts upon it, he has a great chance with these players of doing something great. If not, then he deserves everything he’ll get which, by my reckoning, is the sack in the weeks to come.

• Spacey

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Yes. They both didnt win anything before you….but their tactics pwn you big time…they make Newcastle play exciting football with all the right tactics…But what about you? Playing players out of position and hoofing long balls up field…food for thought isnt it…YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

• adam

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:33 AM

damn he talks alot. there isnt anyone quite like him. did he talk this much when he was at bolton? im fed up with sam.

• Obafan

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:40 AM

SA is a media pig.He likes to talk about everything, now he is again that stupid talking about our 2 most succesful managers in a not that positive way. Kevin Keagan and Sir Bobby Robson have prooved that they could gel our team into a very good one which was able to play Champions League and Kevin Keagan was very unlucky not to win the title (because the bad luck in the last couple of weeks of the season).

Again like I said yesterday my disappointment is growing. When will this bullsh****t end???

• valle

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:43 AM

yah and damn ppl on this site keeps moaning allot… Ur not going to get a new manager, get over it!!!… Now u have two choices, support or disrupt whats it gonna be?

• Singa_toon

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Big Sam u dont know what u are saying. U dont have any class whatsoever. Big Sam u are Shit and we are Sick of it. Cheers!

• Tommie Lewis

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM

He has a valid point…. Sir Bobby did finish 11th twice. And as far as I’m concerned, there seems to be very little difference between the team he inherited and the team BSA has got. Both teams were extremely low and confidence and just didn’t want to play football. It took Robson 2 years to get it right, and loads of us don’t even want to give Sam one year?! It’s stupidity!
    Sam hasn’t got the best tactics this year, admitidly. But, and this is a big but, might it all click when everything is settled down?
    Chelsea spent MILLIONS and didn’t win everything overnight. We have spent very little net under Sam, so lets give him a chance!

• Robert(From Serbia)

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:52 AM

lol,and you were impressed with him 4 months ago…

• carl

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM

i have to say, we have to back our manager whoever it is through thick and thin but, he keeps going on about this five year plan etc, so why are we playing really poor football 8 months into it?? i am being as patient as possible ,and had a bit of encouragement from the man city game, even though we lost we have played worse and won, but a few half descent performances are simply not good enough. i believe sam will stay untill end of season and mort and ashley will have a world class replacement if results dont drastically improve starting tonight.

• bailey

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:57 AM

If ever we needed proof he doesn,t understand NUFC supporters then this is it.

• Tommie Lewis

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Just saw a daily mail report on a possible replacement… did get me thinking.
    A shearer (I know, not a manager, but nor was Keane) and Newell combo. They would work brilliantly together. And then a Daglish as director, or ever Bobby if he wants to come back into work. I want to give Sam time… but that team merntioned looks tasty….

• evildick

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:02 AM

can we just be UNITED for the rest of the season? judge Sam then, we could still win the FA cup, i’d take that! we’re not going to get relegated, there’s no better managers available so chill out and support our team! that’s the whole freakin point!

• carl

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:04 AM

so its obvious hes gong to play 451 then isnt it, and if he does that with owen alone up their i WILL be calling for his head. he talks consistency etc, but yet changes formations every other game. we need to stick to 442 permanent, as it was for all to see we can play on the ground and have the players to do so last wednesday.

• carl

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

evildick- they are my thoughts but at same time we need to see more improvement.

• exi

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I am sick and tired of kneejerks.
    Believe it or not, i was just shaking my head in disbelief with some of the comments by some of you people.

If martin o’neill was at Newcastle last season, he would be sacked because he finished 11th with Aston Villa last season.

• carl

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:12 AM

exi wtf are you talking about. we havent finished the season yet and we certainly havent finished 11th and we wont finish that ( high )unless we improve.are you saying that our performances are acceptable? or are you big sam in disguise

• catchy

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:18 AM

you have 3 very good forwards who all like the ball to feet and are prity good finnishers. you have 1 good creative mifielder (emre). 3 good wingers, who can all run at players and scare the life out of them. some good defenders, ok there not the best but there not the worst. what do you do. you get your left back give him the ball and say go on son run at them. you play 2 defensive midfielders and 2 wingers and tell them to sit deep. pump the ball from defence up to martins and say we paid millions for you , you should be able to bring the ball under control and score every time….SAM be a bit more positive and play players where they should be and i think youd be supprised at what they can do… and im sure you would get all the support you need…

• Leo

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:22 AM

am going to put my neck out and say that if we win convincingly, (i know its only stoke) i will fully support alardyce as long as he doenst go all crazy with his selections again… going to be hard, but he is right,robson didnt have the best starts. although the first seasons starving off relegation was amazing. the premierleague has changed, so come on get behind the team till the end of the season and see what happens…

im gonna get grief for that one i reckon…

• rubbix

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:24 AM

what a load of woffel he keeps talkin…if only his style of management was on the level of KK or Sir Bobby we would not be discussing all this that or the other…..fair enough that they won nothing BUT they did come close to it…something this bozzo will never achieve.

• Mac

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Sam is right both managers mentioned didn’t win anything,yes we did play some of the best football the country has ever seen but do you thing anyone one apart from us long suffering supporters remember that? No they remember we haven’t won anything in years,they remember us throwing awaya 12 point lead to lose the league,they remember all the managers we’ve sacked. I for one now don’t care if we play ugly football for a few seasons and actually win something.

• Marguerite

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Is Sam capable of aligning himself fully with Newcastle and the Geordies? I am afraid to admit that so far he han’t shown he can. When he talks about us he says ‘they’ not ‘we’, unlike when he speaks about Bolton.

If his allegiance and faith is not with us then how can he expect it in return?

HOWEVER, I am sick of the media using my beloved Newcastle as whipping boys and easy meat to fill their pages. I feel the need to circle the wagons, put on our black and white face paint, and stick two fingers up to the lot of them. COME ON NEWCASTLE.

• The northern monkey

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM

i cant wait till we get back on track and start playing consistantly then all you boo boys can eat your words. This is our football team, our manager, our f?*cking club STOP tearing it apart with all this negative crap. Yes we’re not playing attactive football. Get behind YOUR team, if you know anything about teamwork then you’d know YOUR TEAM NEDDS YOU!!!!

• smc894

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:53 AM

To be honest we should be tearing apart the match officials not BSA after the last couple of matches. We’ve had some bad luck but it will turn around.

• catchy

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM

we are not boo boys .. its there for all to see … its his tactics.. if he won then things may be different. but crap tactics and still loose.. come on you must be a fool to think he can turn it around.. GOOD BYE BSA.. GO BACK TO BOLTON

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I believe Allardyce will turn us around if given time.Remember he is working within a tight budget due to our previous owners incompetance and spent only £10 million net in the summer.
    I dont agree with some of his tactics this season but we seem to be improving since Duff returned and i can see better times ahead.

• Dragoner

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM

i agree northern monkey, you support your team through the good and bad.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM

who the hell does he think he is, because o be fair hes having a sly pop, fkin bastard, someone shank him at stoke.

• scott9

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM

its true we aint won anything in years face facts guys and until we stick with a maneger for a couple of years it will stay that way.
    we should sign aniche in jan

• Steeley

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Sounds like another “do anything but get beat” attitude by Sam (i.e. play boring football in an attempt not to concede), however – as with very other match recently – we will do that but concede anyway, and then because we’re so defensively minded we cant score to get back into the game. It’s gonna be embarrassing again….and this time its on BBC for all to see!

“But today Sam points out today that Newcastle haven’t won anything since we took Manchester City apart 3-1 in the 1955 FA Cup Tie” – Ed, correct, however, please can you tell me that last time you remember us playing so badly and so negatively for such a sustained period in that time? I dont think I recall ever being so depressed about where I think the club is going!

At least with Keegan and Robson when they first arrived (i.e. the first 6/7/8 months like Sam has had) we saw some amazing performances from the team, and most of the time at least they tried to actually win a match! It’s not the same with Fat Sam.

And to those that say, “ooh, football is different now and you realistically cant go out and attack like in the Keegan days because football has changed”….can you please tell me how football has changed so dramatically???? IT BLOODY HASNT, THATS WHY!!!

• Toonloony

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Bobby and Kev didn’t win any trophies, however they won the Toon army’s respect and hearts with their style and knowledge, BSA should wind his neck in and stop slagging off real geordies!

• Steeley

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Dragoner – we do all support the team 100% – its Fat Sam Allardyce – the man who is RUINING our club – who we dont support!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:45 PM

they say you dont win anything with kids, heres one for fat sam:

you dont win anything with horses.

• Steeley

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Dave Atkinson – very good commentary. To take one of your points, if Sam actually went out with a tactic of his own instead of constantly looking at everyone else’s and then trying to outdo them, we might be getting somewhere. He’s constantly trying to arrange our squad top try and stop the other team playing….where on earth does that leave us a team….it doesnt….we are effectively a random nothingness that is only there to try and stop another team playing! We need to get some individuality about us!!!!!

• carl

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM

agree steeley, lets just see what we get served with tonight. probably more shite, but leets see

• nightfall

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM

”I haven’t done anything wrong yet. ” what does sam mean by that??

• Rob Kirton

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I would be truly gobsmacked by anybody falling for this line from Sam. He quoted the achievements og Keegan and Robson.

The truth is

a) Both got instantant results – dramatically improving the perfromance of the club within the first couple of weeks of taking over

b) They have both achieved more in the their time at the toon that Sam did in 8 years at Bolton.

c) They both were good footballers who turned into managers who like to have their teams play attractive football. Compare this with a big clodhopper of a footballer who will get the game done away with if allowed to get his own way.

People who say they will settle for winning ugly to allow us the achieve something ie win a cup or whatever are deluded.

Good teams play good football and win games and tend to rise to the top of a league / win a cup. Poor teams play poor football and strangely enough end up struggling….

• ObaFan2

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup won in 1969 (old Uefa cup), I don’t think he said domestically !
    KK won the hearts and admiration of NUFC fans and non fans around the world. (A little pedantic I know lol).

It’s a shame that I am actually beginning to dislike the Toon manager, not because of his poor tactics, team selection and his pass the buck mentallity but the absolute Bull he spouts to the press.
    Having 5 years to change things around needs to be earned and not just expected. I have seen improvements but also seen some very very poor performances too. You seem to have no wish to endear yourself to the Geordies (your from Dudley what would I expect) and want the performances to speak for you, fair enough. Your comments I read or hear nearly every day is becoming very annoying and just wish you’d keep it shut for a change.
    I don’t class myself as a “boo boy”, I want NUFC to win everything with or without BSA, it’s not my choice it’s a way of life!

• Ross

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM

this isnt the type of thing i wanna hear coming out of fatties mouth to be honest.
    partial to a bit of chit chat isnt he.
    “kevin didnt win anything”
    “bobby didnt win anything”
    seems like a sly pop to me. end of the day they may not have won trophies, but they won respect, and the heart’s of the toon army, with the exciting enjoyable football they played.
    keep it quiet sam, and start putting your mind to today so that we’re not utterly embarrased.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Ross – Thats what i said, it was a sly pop, hes nothing compared to them, and he never will be, hes a fat washed up lanc who should be sitting on the street corner drinking value whiskey.

• Hadrian

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM

yeah great sam , really endearing .
    this guys an arsehole and i cant stand the arrogance , they didnt win anything but millions of hearts and minds ,
    spent a few hours last night going thru my dvd collection , my god we played some amazing football . joy to watch , trophys or not .