Ashley Will Offer Harry Big Money and Transfer Funds

The Daily Telegraph reported early this morning that Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp remains Newcastle’s first choice to succeed Sam Allardyce and that Mike Ashley is determined to get him.

harry-redknapp-23.jpg

Harry Redknapp
– wonder if it’s worth all the hassle?

But it seems it would cost Newcastle £2.5M to have Harry released from his contract at Portsmouth. He recently signed a 4 year deal at the club. The compensation due on Sam’s contract will not be peanuts either, and will probably be around £6M, but it seems that Mike Ashley is determined to get his first choice at Newcastle, and is willing to pay for it.

Of course Harry is very like Sam in that he is well aware of the football talent that exists in Europe and could very easily bring a number of class players in during January, to stock the Newcastle squad with lots of additional talent. He did that at Portsmouth a couple of years back, and miraculously saved his side from relegation. Harry knows what’s he’s doing in football, that’s for sure.
And there is surprising confidence at the Newcastle club that they can indeed persuade Redknapp to come to the North East. The two attractions would be a hefty wage deal with suitable incentives for targets reached, and a transfer windfall for January, so he could bring in a number of top players.

By coincidence of course, Harry is due in the North East this weekend for Sunday’s match between Portsmouth and at the Stadium of Light.

We do feel it will be difficult to have Harry and his wife move to the North East as we have mentioned before, but it seems that Mike Ashley is willing for Harry to have a part time abode in Newcastle, and not actually move house.

We don’t like arrangements like this, which is similar to what was arranged with Ruud Gullit. We’d rather the manager be more committed to the Newcastle United club and be willing to move to the area.

But it does look like Ashley wants Harry at Newcastle, and is willing to do what it takes to get his man. This may all be too much for Harry to turn down, if Mike can get into talks with him. The ambitions of Mike Ashley and Newcastle right now are huge, and the chance Harry would get at Newcastle may be just too big an opportunity for Harry to turn down.

But if it does happen we’ll all have to get used to Harry talking about Newcarstle, the southern way of pronouncing the city’s name. 😀

What do you think?

• ObaFan2

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:04 AM

What di I think Ed is unprintable.

He wants to fly him up and down from the sth coast, % million a year? Whats he ever done?

Do you think the likes of Deco has ever heard of him?

This isn’t right IMO.

• Leo

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM

i wont be disapointed and be unhappy because i think the football wont be as boring. but its a shame we arnt going for a manager with real class ala hitzfeld hiddink mourinho van gaal van basten etc…

i will be doing my usual singing the newcasltes songs during the game, anoy all of the suits around me hahaha

• Toon Al

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM

this is bullshit

havin a mid range manager take care of your team from the other end of the country, if nthis is true ashley needs sort his bloody head out

• Leo*

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM

i dont think that will happen tbh, i can only hope all this arry and hughes etc is a smokescreen for them to be able to conduct their business in peace… to be fair they have not come out and said yes your rite we are going to him, or no thanks hes not for us

• Leo*

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM

wheres my comment gone? not again

• ObaFan2

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM

I think it would highlight MA intentions and show him in a different light as an owner of a club and his business dealings.
    What difference is it really? Maybe more attacking football I hear people say, well it’s funny that I might watch a Liverpool game or Man U game but I’ve never really gone out my way to watch any of the mediocre teams he’s managed.
    Very disappointed is an understatement, England are out of Euro 2008 and my home team are going nowhere, I may well take a break from Toon for the first time in 40 years.

• jeremy9

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:36 AM

“No wonder he’s in the f@#!$ng reserves” – That’s funny.

I wanted a manager with connections outside of Britain, well I guess he does with Africa – some good players from there.

• Tripp

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:57 AM

This really doesn’t make any sense… football or bidness (as they say in the Southern US). If Ashley binned BSA without anyone lined up that’s really foolish and, frankly, amateurish. I can’t believe that someone like Ashley, or the cyborg Mort, would make such an emotional panic sacking in the middle of the season and over a week into the xfer window. He’s a barmy sod if it’s true. I hope it’s not.

I don’t mind, necessary, having someone like Redknapp. He could stabilize the squad and improve it some, beyond that I’m not so sure. Given time I think SA would have probably done the same thing. On the otherhand, it does seem like the players might have had a hand in this. I just can’t believe that they’d let Derby and Wigan beat them unless they had a reason. Probably reading too much into that, but it sorta seems reasonable.

• Tripp

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:18 AM

Harry needs about 5000 ccs of botox… stat. His face is sliding off his head. After 1 month at the Toon he’ll have to carry it around with him in a bowl.

• Steve

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:51 AM

Portsmouth have released a statement saying that Harry won’t be leaving, although it is his choice… Blackburn have done the same with Hughes. All this paper talk is irritating me. The tabloids are acting as though we’re still run by Shepherd and have a fixation with English managers. I do not believe this is the case. Any reasonably intelligent person (of which Ashely obviously is considering his Billions) can see that foreign is what s needed…

• fff

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:58 AM

goodpoint obafan2…if you want to get topquality players, they need to have confidence in the manger….and ofcourse they need to have heard of him….mourinho for me…i knw….but hey wats the harm in dreaming…????

• rob

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:36 AM

honestly, the fact that Ashley would be willing to spend makes this fine. If Ashley shells out top 4 money, I think Redknapp is good enough to make us a top 4 side. Honestly, most managers would be fine for us so long as Ashley backs them with a ton of cash, we shouldnt have to win on the cheap. I am not saying be Chelsea, but spending 20 million to get that young stud like Anderson or someone should be something that we at least consider doing. If Harry coming leads to us buying higher quality players, we will get better, and we will be fine. If he is not backed with funds, well, I think it will be similar to BSA because neither is a tactical genius.

• knoxy the mag

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:59 AM

to be fair to ma would you some where and the previous management team were still you wouldnt give them any more money if you could.big sam’s net spead was only about 5 mill once he sold players. okay harry is not the special one but poprthmouth and him have currently got the one of the best away record in the league and if he could bring that to newcastle i would be happy. he has a great scout system around the world. either way i would give my full backing to mr ashley and redknapp
    Get behind the team for f sake the team will continue to go down hill until suppports see that all 55thousand in sjp on a saturday get behind the team and everybody get behind the board and manager and lets him get on with the job.

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:14 AM

I can’t see any text confirming the Harry story. Seriously, it is all the same old quotes, interpreted differently. How can the press quote something like “Portsmouth issue hands off warning” into “Redknapp signing with Newcastle”??
    Give me an article which actually lays on some proof, or at least a hint that Harry is coming for more than just a weekend! Private jet? You serious??

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Wow utter garbage, now every site would write how much Ashley wants Redknapp, basing the material on the fact Harry is the bookies’ favourite – that’s so reliable!!

• Graeme

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM

If ‘arry is the demonstration of Mike Ashleys ambitions for the club, then please sell up and go back to your marketing.

How can you sack BSA for playing boring footy and then have arry as the answer to the problem – YOU CANT!!!!!!!

This story has to be crap, it just doesnt make sense. If he comes in, it will be a very sad day for the toon.

• GM

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:57 AM

I’m really worried about this now, redknapp is not the person we need at the moment or at any time in the future, absolutley NO way. How can someone like him attract any of the worlds best to play for us, he is a crook, a 2nd hand car salesman at best, he struggled for years at west ham, its only this season he has had some sort of run with p’mouth, year in year out he is normally battling relegation, to say hes the best fit for the job is bullshit…??

I am just praying that this is a smoke screen for someone else to come in, I agree with the comments above I was becoming less and less interested in watching the toon based on the football we were playin this season and last and this I dont think will make me change my mind if its true n i’ve been a season ticket holder for 20 years.

By the way if you want to see good football at St. James, may I provide this as proof he is NOT WANTED here.. from nufc.com

The fantastic free-flowing football from Portsmouth this season translates into the following recent Premiership results at Fratton Park:

29.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Middlesbrough 1
    26.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Arsenal 0
    15.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Tottenham 0
    01.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Everton 1
    11.11.07 Portsmouth 0 Man City 0
    27.10.07 Portsmouth 0 West Ham 0

• carl

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM

seems to be true, its all over several parers this morning,dont know what to think

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I don’t think it would be that bad. We are again flying high with expectations, which is exactly what we have been blamed for the whole season. Truth is Harry is a decent manager and his style is way more attractive than Sam’s. He just isn’t that big of a name to move the crowd. He would definitely improve our game, though. I am just questioning the sources of the proposed move for him. And yes, he is not my preferred choice, I would also be a little disappointed if we get him. Though if it materialises it wouldn’t be the nightmare some of us are trying to make of it.

• carl

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM

hopefully harry wont accept it

• carl

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:00 AM

seems mike is going to back our new manager with alot of money

• Jimmie

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:03 AM

“The ambitions of Mike Ashley and Newcastle right now are huge” – To hire a middle standard manager, probably not much better then we had in Fat Sam, is that what they call “huge ambitions”?? Mourinho or Hitzfelt, thats what I call Huge ambitions!

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Can we move the discussion further than “I hope we get this one” or “Oh, no, it will be that one”?
    Here are several questions I dare you to answer, so that we can start a conversation:
    – Who do you think we will sign, based on what information, and what is your opinion of him?
    – Who do you want us to sign – just one name – and why?
    – What amount of cash do you guess we will spend in this month?
    – Try to put yourself in the shoes of the first and second answer man and draw a proposed wishlist of players they will want to buy (yes, this will be speculation, but try to draw a picture of the corresponding manager’s views for the game and for our club through possible transfer targets), also who would they want to sell? Try to explain why you think so.
    – As the two most popular answers to these questions are Harry Redknapp and Kevin Keegan, also answer the previous question for these two managers.
    Please try to keep the “and that would be shit” emotional comments our of your answers, let’s try to be more analytic than passionate, remember this is completely fictional!

• Graeme

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM

If Harry is the best Ashley can come up with for NUFC, the summit of his ambition, then why buy the club in the first place??

Thats not ambition, its mediocrity and we know it is. I just hope and pray thats its a smoke screen.

I think the idea of Shearer as manager is even more ridiculous, but I would sooner have him, with NO experience, that ‘arry redknapp.

• Macas

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM

So much for bringing in a world name that could attract truly top class players instead of unheard of Africans that will disappear every january.

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM

I guess nobody wants to actually think on those topics 🙁

• Aussie Dave

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM

The mackem Echo is saying Harry tempted by 20million kitty.

Correct me if Im wrong, I thought Pompey are now owned by rich foreigners? he has had more than that to spend at Pompey.

I would only take Harry if he brings a couple with him, Campbell, Kranchar.

But Mourinho or Hiddink are my choices, either with 50 million kitty over Jan and Summer would get us going.

• nufcstats.com

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:42 AM

the problem is not will Harry accept it or not (hope for someone much better) but for me the big problem is with all that story. I was sure they had someone for sure and much much better then Sam (despite I never like his tactics and “style”) and it looks like sacking in panic and going to the market for anyone with a few good results recently… Hope to be wrong

• James

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:49 AM

A close friend of Ashley said yesterday on Five 5 that a replacement had already been lined up and approached before Sam was sacked – thats why its not Redknapp

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:50 AM

I would take Utaka and Muntari, Dave, maybe also Distin who did so well in all the years he spent in the Premiership. These would fill some of the gaps in our squad. Then add one superstar playmaker and we got a good chance of a run for the UEFA spot 🙂

• Aaron D

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Like portsmouth would sell us Distin, Utaka and Muntari. I think Harry Redknapp could do a good job at Newcastle as long as he gets funds and time.

• Midjew

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:22 AM

KLINSMAN HAVE JUST TAKEN OVER BAYERN MUNICH SOOOOOO

Hitzfeld is NOW AVALIABLE!! GET HIM!!

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:23 AM

We are discussing hypothetical moves, Aaron 😉

• Edd Case

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Midjew – where did you get that info from?

• GM

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:30 AM

klinsmann doesnt take over till 01/07/08

• Edd Case

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Well, that rules out both Hitzfeld and Klinsmann.

• Midjew

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM

but surely if hitzfeld KNOWS he is out in July why coudlnt we lure him NOW.

I dont even know why i am saying all this. Sky Sports News on TV just announced that they had calls saying offer to tempting to resist and should arrive there later.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• goalcentre.com

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Money could not buy success.. What Newcastle need is a continuity of good management… Could not be a be or strong club if keep on sacking a manager in 8 months…

• Kevin Hann

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM

goalcentre, I disagree. Would you be with me if I say money CAN buy success, but we can’t be sure it WILL.

• goalcentre.com

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Yeah i agree with your statement Kevin. Maybe my sentence was a bit vague! lol… Can buy success but it is not a guarantee. Take Inter as a good example.. 🙂