Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has turned down an offer to succeed Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager, according to reports just coming in.
Harry Redknapp – has decided against joining Newcastle United
The 60-year-old had been the favorite to take over from Sam Allardyce and Sky Sports News reported he held talks with the Tyneside club on Friday night in London.
Portsmouth reportedly gave Redknapp until lunchtime on Saturday, to make a decision, and he has finally decided to stay. The following statement was issued by Portsmouth Football Club this morning:
“He thought about it overnight and decided to stay,”Â “He wants to stay in the job that he’s been doing so brilliantly.”
Redknapp arrived at Portsmouth’s Eastleigh training ground on Saturday morning and told reporters he was staying with the south coast club. Sam Allardyce was sacked by Newcastle on Wednesday, and Redknapp soon became Newcastle’s number one choice for the job.
The word yesterday was that it was almost a done deal with huge amounts of compensation up to Â£5M/year being talked about. But Harry has decided to stay at Portsmouth, which will no doubt delight the Portsmouth faithful.
Newcastle will presumably now turn to their second choice, who we understand is Mark Hughes. But with Newcastle fans not being too keen on either Harry Redknapp or Mark Hughes maybe Newcastle will reconsider who they go after.
Two potential choices now could be Jose Mourinho, who is the Newcastle fans’ overwhelming choice and even Alan Shearer, who has reportedly told people in Barbados, where he is on vacation, he may be interested, if offered the job.