Good Things Newcastle Can Take From Hammering

We’ve always try to put a positive slant on things around the Newcastle United club, but we have to be completely honest right now and say we are a little disappointed and even depressed at what’s happened today.

Charles N’Zogbia – looked class today and played his heart out

However, what good things, if any, can we take out of the game?

Here’s a list of some decent things that came out of the game today. Think of the first half for these good points – in the second half we were just completely outplayed and outclassed.

• We were outclassed and outplayed today – but at least it was a great team and not Wigan Athletic or Derby County.
  • Jose Enrique had a tough game today but he hung in there like a warrior. And his clearance off the line was brilliant near the end. That he wasn’t played in more games this season was one reason Sam didn’t do well.
  • Charles N’Zogbia, along with Shay Given, looked the only two players that could have made the Manchester side. Charles has great skill which is completely and utterly wasted at left back. The combination of Enrique at left back and Charles up front (anywhere) makes us a much more threatening side. And that’s what we looked in the first half before we collapsed.
  • Although Manchester had most of the play in the first half Michael Owen scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed for offside. Goals change games – so you never know what would have happened if it had been allowed to stand. James Milner also had a couple of good opportunities which he didn’t take advantage of.
  • Shay Given is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership and it looked like Given vs Manchester United at times this afternoon. However, allowing 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, hasn’t saved our blushes much – but at least it will help to put the issues out on the table.

Over to you Chris and Mike, you need to get us out of this mess – and quickly.

• James

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Good things we can take from defeat Ed – We have a billionaire owner who has finally cleared the dead wood behind the scenes – Shepherd, Fat Sam, and will now clear the dead wood on the pitch. He’s only been here 6 months, but Ashley has got rid of the two men we wanted out. He will now break up the team and get in the players and manager to start competing again.

Despite some of the negative comments on here, I trust Ashley to sort us out long term. In his first 6 months he cleared out the crap behind the scenes. These 6 months will be spent clearing out the players not good enough to wear the black and white. Next season will be about getting back to where we belong. You can’t expect him to do everything in 6 months. He’s already got rid of a manager none of us wanted and banned Shepherd from setting foot in SJP. He is driven and demands success. He will not tolerate the players he had inherited.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM

James – good points.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM

James – this was meant to be good things from the game today. Not what Mike and Chris have done.

• carl

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:52 PM

good things from today. enrique nzogbia. thats it

• James

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Ed – good things from the game – it’s over.

• Edd Case

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I agree with Carl…

Right, time to get very, very drunk – booze fixes everything.

• carl

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:55 PM

poor toon supporters, paying good money, travel money watch a load of over payed allardyce cast offs.god save the toon

• John

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Ed Been honest i can’nt see any positives from this game..It should off been all overin the first half aswell for united as Roney missed some sitters. we had one chance..Ya ZOg looked good but everything else was rubbish…There was no well as proper midfielders who can actualy play football..Not pretend to play

I love your attitude on this blog mate, but im sorry i cant agree with you on this…We were absolutley awful…

I cant understand how Nicky Butt is sopposedly on 50 grand a week..Cant get my head round it…I’ve never seen a more over rated player in my life…I’d love to see how many successful passes he made today ..I’d say one in 4 passes came off…

were in a very bad state and we need to realise this…I just hope the next manager gets backed financialy cus we really need to get some top quality defenders in as well as midfielders who actually know how to play football and not pretend to play..

• carl

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM

yep im on 3rd bottle wine

• keeganpleasecomeback

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM

i was on my 3rd bottle when it was 2-0 and im still hiding behind the couch

• Unpopular Bert

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

The vast majority of people wont agree with me but until Newcastle get rid of Shay Given we will always have a crap defence. He is admittedly a great shotstopper BUT ….
    1… He has no physical presence and does not dominate the penalty box
    2… He tends to stay on his line when he should be taking care of crosses
    3… He is frequently beaten in 1 on 1 situations.
    4… He has been at the club too long and is now “a bit stale”.

We need to start again at the back when a new manager comes in and IMO Shay should be the first out of the door even though he has been a great servant to the club.

• the _lord

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Mike Ashley black and white army, I’m 100% behind Ashley. Lets give him time he will get it right.

• carl

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:04 PM

its ok mate, its over you can come from behind the couch.but be quick, the news or match of the day will soon be on!

• Cyprus Mag

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:05 PM

I don’t know….ok we were outclassed but I think I saw more application than I saw under FSA. Where do we go from here? Sadly we saw few players who were premiership class and it could have been much, much worse were it not for Given, I’m not sure Derby, Wigan or the great unwashed would have done any worse.
    We have some good players but many who are not good enough and no strategy whatsoever.
    We need a top coach and someone who can drive the squad the latter Shearer but who else I don’t know. Then we need 5 or 6 new players.
    Is this possible? It’s up to MA, how much does he want to succeed?
    How have we got to this given where Sir Bobby got us?

• John

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:07 PM

what does everyone think off Gerrard Houllier with Shearer as No 2?

• ripleyiii

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy supporting Newcastle. But nobody ever said we’d do so poorly. However, we’ve been this bad all year. It’s just we hadn’t played many good teams so far.

So now we play a good team and we’re awful. This is an awful team. We can never win with 4-5-1. Where’s Emre? Butt sucks. Duff isn’t fit. Owen isn’t fit. We don’t clear our back lines. We’re not first to the ball. N’Zogbia was good today (see I can be positive) but he holds onto the ball far too long.

Owen should have got that goal. He wasn’t offside. Tevez’s goal didn’t go in. These are all positives.

Geez, I feel sick.

• nightfall

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM

good things from today? hopefully everyone realised how bad smith really is..and is the next man to get “sacked”…

• John

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM

cyprus Mag.. Derby done better than us.. they lost 4-1 im sure

• James

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Personally I’d like to officially class this game as “Ground Zero”.

Four years from now when we win the Premiership we will look back at this day as the day that Ashley started to build a team at Newcastle that we could all be proud of.

Today will give birth to a very special 5 year period for Newcastle United.

• Paul

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM

This is an all time low for me, it could of of been 12 or 13 if we are honest. Things have to change and fast . Im not sure who can sot this shit out and whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing

• Ashton

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Enrique was great no wonder villareal fans nicknamed him the bull !
    zog was great too
    and taylor was solid

assapa was shite
    carr as usual pure shite
    butt is a chamionship player
    fat aussie was crap did he touched the ball !!
    milner was pathetic Im sick of his stupid dribbling
    given was responsible for at least two goals
    smith mmmmm i cant blame him couse he is not a DM
    owen tried to do something but he was alone with the best two CH’s in PL
    duff was bad imo

get Quique sanchez flores or Van gaal asap

• Adrian Swall

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Hmmm. Good things from the game today? Well we aint got Droopy Dog as manager!

• Obafan

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:16 PM

1. Smith red carded => can’t play a few games (I hope they give him a suspension till the end of the season)
    2. Our fans who travelled to Manchester to support the team
    3. Zog signed a new deal in the beginning of this season, thank God he did
    4. We have a good keeper, that is for sure
    5. Butt faces a 2 game ban
    6. I can give 5 postitive things after today, what an amount!!!

I just can’t see how everyone says that Enrique is good. he kicks the ball away so our defence gets under pressure again.

• James

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Obafan – Enrique kept kicking the ball up to Duff but he was either out of position or too slow to catch it. Left backs are supposed to give it to the left winger. Hardly his fault that the left winger couldn’t control the ball and it kept coming back. Duff had a howler. For someone who has hardly played and was up against the best attack in Europe, Enrique was class.

• Gooderz

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Enrique, Zog and Taylor showed why they should be ever presents in the team, whilst Smith and Butt showed why they should be squad players at best.

• Ben

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I don’t think you can judge the quality of our players after tonight’s game. They are under a lot of stress (= fear), and only human (even paid a ridiculous lot of money) they react to it. Where does this fear come from? In my opinion, mostly from Big Sam. Fear of conceding a goal, fear of loosing, fear of being substituted, and being held responsible for lack of team effort (any descent manager knows that the bucks stop with him). And now, without a manager and without their best players (playing in Africa), no wonder they can’t perform.
    So, wait until a new and professional manager takes charge, hopefully Morinho who always care for his playes, until you put the final judgement on our present squad.
    Even though I can’t make any excuses for Mr. Smith and Mr Butt….

• Obafan

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM

James – I don’t agree with you on Enrique. But everyone has his own view and that is that. No offense, but I can’t see Enrique as a great LB in the future…

• Eve

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Ya, I just watched the highlights on my channel on tv.

They showed..

20 mins was shown of the game,
    5 mins of Man U’s goals
    15 mins of Given’s saves.

I thought that they’d spend half an hour talking about Ronaldo which would have just driven me a wee bit around the bend but they didn’t, and they actually really surprised me because instead they showed Given’s saves. Which was nice,

And were just saying how..
    they felt for the wee fella and how he’s 31 now but they see him aging 9 years playing behind that team this season if it’s not fixed,
    how it most be so soul crushing for him to see the same old crap happen year in year out,
    how he was on amazing form and still the side managed to concede 6 goals but it shoulda been like 26, how he’s one of the best keepers in the premiership.
    How at times it was him against Man U and how he really most be wondering what the hell’s going on in front of him and how they really underestimate him and his contribution, especially the fans.

They then went on to say how we apparently are too quick to criticize everyone and should be begging to get Sam back LOL!! But seriously how we always take negatives out of everything and always criticize our players and managers. How they’re could be 10 positive good things a player did in the match and 2 mistakes and how we’d always concentrate on the negatives.
    And how Sam been given 24 matches or whatever it was to change it all around was as ridiculous as our expectations and some of the teams performances todays.

It pissed me off a fair bit when they said some of it cause I thought they were full of it, but maybe it was cause I knew there was more then a wee bit of truth in it.

They also said that too many Newcastle fans were living in the past.
    Shearer was too inexperienced to go into the boiler cooker.
    How potentially it’d be attractive to a manager because of the love of football there and us, their wee fans. But how the fact that there seem to be too many dreamers and little realists at the club would be a bit of a turn odd. how looking at the teams performance today it’s enough to ask most of them if they’re actually serious and that most of the teams performance today was below championship level and how if we keep preforming like the way we have been we should be looking over our shoulders at the relegation zone because apparently we’re in serious trouble if it keeps going like this.

They we’re in a ranting mood tonight but i think it was important to put up how the so called no it alls see us. It pissed me off but maybe there is some truth in it.

• Zero Cool

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I believe you put it best. Whoever said Supporting NUFC was easy? Thats what seperates us from the Glory supporters of the “big four” we lose, and we’ll still sell out against Arsenal and Stoke

• Michael

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM

What worries me is, are we going to be in the premier league next season, I cannot see us getting 14 to 20 points to keep us safe. Just where, can any of my fellow Newcastle supporters see just where. My good God

• Edd Case

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Was anyone actually at the game?

Or can anyone confirm if our lot were chanting for Mourinho etc?

• Steeley

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM

My most positive note today was that Smith got red carded….misses two games, and hopefully even after that he wont get back in the team, coz he wasnt great today, despite an OK first half.

Also, does anyone else think that Taylor had a good game? Or at least in the first half!

• Hadrian

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Eve , every other word out of you is shay bloody givven ?? 😀
    what channel did you watch that on? an irish one ?

• Ashamed_to_be_Toon

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I’m sick of all this ‘back to where we belong’ crap along with a ridiculous attempt to gain positives from today, there are none fact. We should have beaten 10-11 nil today, we were steeped that we were not.

Where exactly is back where we belong, if one more ‘fan’ references the Keegan days, they really do need to wake up and smell the coffee. That is ancient history, it might take 25 years to get that and remember the big 4 will progress every year too so chances are the best we can ever get again is 5th.

The away fans are the only thing this club has left to be proud if, nothing else. The home fans have made us the laughing stock of the country and of other football fans. No manager with a brain cell would take that job today, who needs the grief. Don;t win 3-0 at home, get booed off, get abused for trying to do your job. Get real lads and give the rest of us fans around the world a chance to hold our heads up as we cannot do this today.

No Manager, no defence, no goals, no spirit, no plan, no nothing. I really thought Ashley was going to be a big change from Freddy but seems to have learned from the same school of sack without a plan. We have a lot of players who would not make it into any other team and we’ll have to wait a long while before they get cleaned out. Cacapa is a disgrace to the shirt, not up to the prem pace at all.

Give Shearer the job, at least it will shut up all you plastic fans and get the monkey of our back and those muppets who sit behind the manager box. Let him turn that pile of no-hopers into a team that can score a goal or keep a clean sheet once a season. Best of Luck and then you home fans can boo him off too.

I’m ashamed of the toon fans today but I know that I’m talking to myself.

• geordiejayne13

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM

i heard the fans chanting for shearer on tv

• geordiejayne13

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM

mmm away fans don’t boo?????

• Steeley

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Crikey – cracking article from Bobby…I’ve never heard him speak so candidly before. Some interesting info about Duff being one of the players not happy with Sam’s boring tactics, as well as some damning info on geremi! lol

• lewdavies

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Our defense is put under soooo much pressure and it is inevitable they will leak goals. This is all due to our midfield, especially butt and smith,
    Our striker(s) are starved of service due to our midfield, milner and duff and zog.
    IMO the midfield needs a total revamp, but unfortunatly I just cant see how that is going to happen. Which teams are going to want to buy our dross?

• Eve

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Hadrian I just said what they did. And no, it wasn’t an Irish channel.
    I was trying to get my point across how..ah screw it it doesn’t matter. What’s the point.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Some things to remember:
    1) things are never as good as they look when things are going well
    2) Things are never as bad as they look when things are not going well
    3) Brown Ale is pretty good stuff.

The priority of statements is in reverse order.