We’ve always try to put a positive slant on things around the Newcastle United club, but we have to be completely honest right now and say we are a little disappointed and even depressed at what’s happened today.
Charles N’Zogbia – looked class today and played his heart out
However, what good things, if any, can we take out of the game?
Here’s a list of some decent things that came out of the game today. Think of the first half for these good points – in the second half we were just completely outplayed and outclassed.
- We were outclassed and outplayed today – but at least it was a great team and not Wigan Athletic or Derby County.
- Jose Enrique had a tough game today but he hung in there like a warrior. And his clearance off the line was brilliant near the end. That he wasn’t played in more games this season was one reason Sam didn’t do well.
- Charles N’Zogbia, along with Shay Given, looked the only two players that could have made the Manchester side. Charles has great skill which is completely and utterly wasted at left back. The combination of Enrique at left back and Charles up front (anywhere) makes us a much more threatening side. And that’s what we looked in the first half before we collapsed.
- Although Manchester had most of the play in the first half Michael Owen scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed for offside. Goals change games – so you never know what would have happened if it had been allowed to stand. James Milner also had a couple of good opportunities which he didn’t take advantage of.
- Shay Given is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership and it looked like Given vs Manchester United at times this afternoon. However, allowing 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, hasn’t saved our blushes much – but at least it will help to put the issues out on the table.
Over to you Chris and Mike, you need to get us out of this mess – and quickly.